Poll: Public Charging Etiquette

Is it OK to unplug an unattended EV at 100% at a charging station?

• Total voters

mateo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
I agree that this is best solved with idle fees.

I have no idea how feasible this type of infrastructure would be, but... It would be great if there could be 50 parking spots with plugs and X kW max capacity at any given time. The system could divide power as needed, and could even be helped out if people could punch in what max charge they want and how long they plan to be gone. By default, it would charge maximum speed on first come basis, but it could throttle back those who have indicated they don't need instant charge.

I assume a huge problem to this approach is distance between the car and the thing generating power... But if it's not ever feasible for fast charging, it would work at L2 in garages.
Sponsored

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
I guess there are so many variables. I can understand the chargers designed to park, charge, and work, shop, etc.
At the time that I created this poll, the situation was that there are only 3 non-Tesla fast chargers within a 50 mile radius at an EA. This creates a line of EV cars waiting for a charge during peak hours. There are drivers in line for over an hour while an F-150 Lighting is at 100% for several hours and counting.
With a line of cars, I wasn't sure if I was okay to unplug that truck so the others in line could use the charger.
Everyone in line was so angry at this guy with his new F-150 Lightning probably completely oblivious to any kind of charging etiquette.
People were making jokes in line about things like keying his new truck, slashing his tires, and calling a tow truck, and I just thought to myself that there are so many un-agreed-upon and unwritten charging rules.
Oh, if it's a fast-charger, then ABSOLUTELY go ahead and unplug. It's bad enough with the people that charge above 80% while people are waiting. The F-150 owner might be mad (unjustifiably), but everybody else that was sitting around having to wait for him will be even madder, and the F-150 guy is going to be outnumbered.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
Merry Christmas you charger hoggers!
Sponsored