First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Standard
Country flag
Hi all,

New to the group but have already gleamed a lot of useful information from the site.

I have a couple of questions regarding the mach e select model in terms of charging, and driving in NY traffic.

We are looking at purchasing the Mach E select model, although i do like the premium, I don't think we can wait almost 6 months to get it.

My wife is a NYC school teacher and needs a reliable E car to travel to work each day from long Island to Queens High school.
The round trip daily is about 55-60 miles.
Much of the trip is highway driving, particularly on the Long Island Expressway.
Anyone who knows this route knows that this becomes very stop/start traffic during peak periods , usually making the trip anywhere from 1 hour and 20 mins up to 2 hours plus, regardless of being in the HOV lane.
My concern is really regarding the selects range in dealing with stop/start traffic over 60 miles in winter time when temperature and drop into 20s and below and heater and heated seats/steering wheel is on, or in early summertime and AC is cranked. Is the selects range adequate for this type of driving/distance?
This is assuming a full overnight charge daily.
We would look at purchasing the Chargepoint home flex for overnight charging.
Does anyone have any relatable experience driving in this kind of traffic in a select model? the last thing i need is in the middle of winter she runs out of juice on her way home.

Second question relates mainly to software - after 2 mins of driving during the testdrive from the dealer the main screen went wonky and garbled and eventually turned to black. (This panicked the wife a bit) as she has never driven a electric car.
I was able to google (via these forums) the soft reset keys and managed to get it back on for the rest of the drive.
My question is, is this a regular occurrence, are there a lot of bugs in the ford software compared to say Tesla's or other EV companies?

Finally like the Tesla is it recommended to keep the charge between 20% and 80%?

Thankyou for your time and help

Brian
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Hi all,

New to the group but have already gleamed a lot of useful information from the site.

I have a couple of questions regarding the mach e select model in terms of charging, and driving in NY traffic.

We are looking at purchasing the Mach E select model, although i do like the premium, I don't think we can wait almost 6 months to get it.

My wife is a NYC school teacher and needs a reliable E car to travel to work each day from long Island to Queens High school.
The round trip daily is about 55-60 miles.
Much of the trip is highway driving, particularly on the Long Island Expressway.
Anyone who knows this route knows that this becomes very stop/start traffic during peak periods , usually making the trip anywhere from 1 hour and 20 mins up to 2 hours plus, regardless of being in the HOV lane.
My concern is really regarding the selects range in dealing with stop/start traffic over 60 miles in winter time when temperature and drop into 20s and below and heater and heated seats/steering wheel is on, or in early summertime and AC is cranked. Is the selects range adequate for this type of driving/distance?
This is assuming a full overnight charge daily.
We would look at purchasing the Chargepoint home flex for overnight charging.
Does anyone have any relatable experience driving in this kind of traffic in a select model? the last thing i need is in the middle of winter she runs out of juice on her way home.

Second question relates mainly to software - after 2 mins of driving during the testdrive from the dealer the main screen went wonky and garbled and eventually turned to black. (This panicked the wife a bit) as she has never driven a electric car.
I was able to google (via these forums) the soft reset keys and managed to get it back on for the rest of the drive.
My question is, is this a regular occurrence, are there a lot of bugs in the ford software compared to say Tesla's or other EV companies?

Finally like the Tesla is it recommended to keep the charge between 20% and 80%?

Thankyou for your time and help

Brian
That length commute is perfect for a Select. Even under cold conditions you should be golden.

The screen issue is definitely not a common occurrence. I've never had to reset the screen in my Premium (First Edition).

Yes, 20-80% is your best rule of thumb for DC Fast Charging with 90% the recommended level for regular L2 charging (unless you need the full 100% of course).

OP
OP

brian1974

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Standard
Country flag
That length commute is perfect for a Select. Even under cold conditions you should be golden.

The screen issue is definitely not a common occurrence. I've never had to reset the screen in my Premium (First Edition).

Yes, 20-80% is your best rule of thumb for DC Fast Charging with 90% the recommended level for regular L2 charging (unless you need the full 100% of course).
Thanks Mark, thats what I was hoping to hear!! look forward to the purchase now...

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
When I demo’d one, the screen when wonky and did a full reboot on the road. I think related to no phone or connectivity. It has never happened with my two Mach E’s and so far 15,000 miles of perfect reliability (other than PAAK. Carry the Fob(s)).
Sponsored

Last edited: