Rear Ambient Lighting Zone DIY

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
This goes out to anyone interested in reviving the old preproduction dream without dismantling or rewiring their car (no disrespect to the brilliant work of @markboris, consider this a lazier alternative). You can build a Bluetooth configurable ambient lighting zone along the rear seats in about 15 minutes on a $30 budget. Fully reversible and non-destructive mod.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear Ambient Lighting Zone DIY PXL_20211203_222532177

Properly unbridled

Not endorsing any particular vendors or products here (particularly the power adapter, you could do better for cheaper), Amazon links are just for example.

Supplies:
5V Bluetooth LED controller: ~$11
  • Must support 5V DC power, many are 12-24V.
  • Find one with fully customizable colors in a linked app like LEDHue.
  • Should support WS2811/WS2812 LED strips.
  • I chose Bluetooth + Phone App rather than cheaper IR remote options because those tend to require line of sight as well as generally having poorer customization options. Also I would immediately lose the remote.

USB to 5V DC power adapter: ~$9
  • Can be USB-A or C depending on what rear power source you want to use.
  • You want at least 3' of cable to reach from the center console under the cargo mats to the far side.

LED strip: ~$10
  • 1m/3.3' length works pretty well across the back.
  • Must be a 5V strip, not 12-24V.
  • Should support WS2811/WS2812 for good pixel density and customisability. You can go crazy with individual pixel programmability if you want to give your passengers epileptic seizures.
  • Some degree of waterproofing is probably a good idea. I went with IP67, but IP65 is probably good enough.
  • Black PCB is more discreet than white. Less common, but worth looking for.
  • I opted not to use an adhesive backing to keep the installation fully reversable and non-destructive. Velcro strips can be used instead.

Installation Steps:
  1. Run power cable under cargo mats to a side door.
    Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear Ambient Lighting Zone DIY PXL_20211203_222029351
  2. Tuck power cable under foot well to keep it out of the way as it runs up the side of the seat.
    Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear Ambient Lighting Zone DIY PXL_20211203_222712615.NIGHT
  3. Plug in Bluetooth LED controller (small white box pictured) and conceal along the side/base of the seat.
    Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear Ambient Lighting Zone DIY PXL_20211203_222646664.NIGHT
  4. Plug LED strip into controller and run along the underside of the rear seats.
  5. Attach to seat base fabric with Velcro.
  6. Pair to controller with linked phone app and set custom colors. Color changes are managed by the app, not via the car's Sync 4A system.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear Ambient Lighting Zone DIY PXL_20211203_222350160

Pink ambient light illuminating all of the filth on my cargo mats

The lights will be active whenever Accessory Power is on, including in full daylight if the lights are plugged in. They will also remain on briefly after you exit the vehicle along with the rest of the interior lights. Power draw should be pretty negligible though all around.

B25Nut

First Name
Charlee
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bsi-inc.com
Vehicles
2021 Premium MME 4EX Star White, 2019 Acura RDX,
Occupation
BSI Sales and Technical Manager
Country flag
I installed these cheap LEDs I found at Costco. They plug into the "cigarette lighter" 12v outlet in the center console. A push button in the connector turns them on and off.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear Ambient Lighting Zone DIY 1639772777543

OP
OP
ebeponyan

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I installed these cheap LEDs I found at Costco. They plug into the "cigarette lighter" 12v outlet in the center console. A push button in the connector turns them on and off.

Looks great! I may have bought the same Costco strip a while back, but decided to use it for accent lighting elsewhere. Does the wire leading out of the 12V outlet in the console ever get in your way?

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Now you just need to take it to the next level and pair those WS2811/2812 strips with a microcontroller that monitors the color and status of the OEM ambient lights and sets them for you! Of course, unless you're able to pull the color status from the OBDII port, it would take a little wire modification to read out the color value to some other LED in the car.

B25Nut

First Name
Charlee
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bsi-inc.com
Vehicles
2021 Premium MME 4EX Star White, 2019 Acura RDX,
Occupation
BSI Sales and Technical Manager
Country flag
No, you can barely see the wires and they have never been in the way. You just have to leave enough slack in them to account for the movement of the seats. The cover for the console still closes within an 1/8" of normal, which you really can't detect.
I always keep my ambient lighting set at Blue, so I don't have to worry about coordinating the LEDs.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Okay, so I just got this stuff and put it in, I think it's going to be a laugh riot when I surprise my 4 year old with the lights playing to his favorite tunes.

I do have a question -- someone can confirm that the power to the rear USB does get cut off at some point, right? I'm going on 5-10 minutes I think after my car locked itself in the garage and it's still a disco party in the back seat.

.... Just want to make sure this isn't what kills my little 12V LVB. Although it might be worth it, these lights might be ON POINT for toddler entertainment. Just sayin.

This goes out to anyone interested in reviving the old preproduction dream without dismantling or rewiring their car (no disrespect to the brilliant work of @markboris, consider this a lazier alternative). You can build a Bluetooth configurable ambient lighting zone along the rear seats in about 15 minutes on a $30 budget. Fully reversible and non-destructive mod.

Properly unbridled

Not endorsing any particular vendors or products here (particularly the power adapter, you could do better for cheaper), Amazon links are just for example.

Supplies:
5V Bluetooth LED controller: ~$11
  • Must support 5V DC power, many are 12-24V.
  • Find one with fully customizable colors in a linked app like LEDHue.
  • Should support WS2811/WS2812 LED strips.
  • I chose Bluetooth + Phone App rather than cheaper IR remote options because those tend to require line of sight as well as generally having poorer customization options. Also I would immediately lose the remote.

USB to 5V DC power adapter: ~$9
  • Can be USB-A or C depending on what rear power source you want to use.
  • You want at least 3' of cable to reach from the center console under the cargo mats to the far side.

LED strip: ~$10
  • 1m/3.3' length works pretty well across the back.
  • Must be a 5V strip, not 12-24V.
  • Should support WS2811/WS2812 for good pixel density and customisability. You can go crazy with individual pixel programmability if you want to give your passengers epileptic seizures.
  • Some degree of waterproofing is probably a good idea. I went with IP67, but IP65 is probably good enough.
  • Black PCB is more discreet than white. Less common, but worth looking for.
  • I opted not to use an adhesive backing to keep the installation fully reversable and non-destructive. Velcro strips can be used instead.

Installation Steps:
  1. Run power cable under cargo mats to a side door.
  2. Tuck power cable under foot well to keep it out of the way as it runs up the side of the seat.
  3. Plug in Bluetooth LED controller (small white box pictured) and conceal along the side/base of the seat.
  4. Plug LED strip into controller and run along the underside of the rear seats.
  5. Attach to seat base fabric with Velcro.
  6. Pair to controller with linked phone app and set custom colors. Color changes are managed by the app, not via the car's Sync 4A system.

Pink ambient light illuminating all of the filth on my cargo mats

The lights will be active whenever Accessory Power is on, including in full daylight if the lights are plugged in. They will also remain on briefly after you exit the vehicle along with the rest of the interior lights. Power draw should be pretty negligible though all around.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
I wish I could find a way of doing this that doesn’t have something sticking out of the USB port. I’m afraid my 4 year old will snap it off when she’s getting in and out.

Does it turn off with the car?

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I had the same concern -- my potential solution: you can get "elbow" USB-A adapters that should better toddler-proof this. Just ordered this one.

And I can now confirm that the disco does end on its own, sometimes a couple of minutes after you leave the car, which can be fun in its own way.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
I wish I could find a way of doing this that doesn’t have something sticking out of the USB port. I’m afraid my 4 year old will snap it off when she’s getting in and out.

Does it turn off with the car?
Something like this might help. It would sit flush(ish) with the port, then the other end would be pointing down to the floor. Not perfect, but a little better.

Right Angle Connector
Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear Ambient Lighting Zone DIY 1640048045234

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
I had the same concern -- my potential solution: you can get "elbow" USB-A adapters that should better toddler-proof this. Just ordered this one.

And I can now confirm that the disco does end on its own, sometimes a couple of minutes after you leave the car, which can be fun in its own way.
Well damn you beat me to it ? .

beckhamba07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium 2023
Country flag
Now you just need to take it to the next level and pair those WS2811/2812 strips with a microcontroller that monitors the color and status of the OEM ambient lights and sets them for you! Of course, unless you're able to pull the color status from the OBDII port, it would take a little wire modification to read out the color value to some other LED in the car.
Hello, can you please share more details on how to sync the back strip with the front ambient light? You mentioned microcontroller, but I would love if you can show me a link to what it is or something. Of course I am talking about the hassle free no internal hardware intervention method. Thank you

beckhamba07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium 2023
Country flag
can anyone recommend me a budget-oriented good strip for this DYI project? The original link of the thread owner is no longer available, I want it to be able to sync with the front ambient light by some magic without popping any door open. Thank you

OP
OP
ebeponyan

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
can anyone recommend me a budget-oriented good strip for this DYI project? The original link of the thread owner is no longer available, I want it to be able to sync with the front ambient light by some magic without popping any door open. Thank you
Automatically syncing with the front would not be worth the effort, in my opinion. To do so nonintrusively would require some kind of optical sensor and a more capable controller to identify and relay the color to match to your LED strip. For your time and money, just go with a prebuilt controller that includes a remote control. Mount that somewhere and you're one click away from whatever color you feel like. You can search for this hardware at your online retailer of choice using the criteria under each heading. I didn't want to link specific models for the exact reason that listings come and go, but standards and features should be solid enough to search on to find something that works for you.

That or it's super easy, barely an inconvenience, and someone will pop up in here to prove me wrong using only a paperclip, a raspberry pi and a shoelace. That's the beauty of forums.

beckhamba07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium 2023
Country flag
Automatically syncing with the front would not be worth the effort, in my opinion. To do so nonintrusively would require some kind of optical sensor and a more capable controller to identify and relay the color to match to your LED strip. For your time and money, just go with a prebuilt controller that includes a remote control. Mount that somewhere and you're one click away from whatever color you feel like. You can search for this hardware at your online retailer of choice using the criteria under each heading. I didn't want to link specific models for the exact reason that listings come and go, but standards and features should be solid enough to search on to find something that works for you.

That or it's super easy, barely an inconvenience, and someone will pop up in here to prove me wrong using only a paperclip, a raspberry pi and a shoelace. That's the beauty of forums.
Thank you, I thought so too and just ordered some cheap light strip online, will see how it turns out when I get it and install. Thanks
Sponsored