So what critical system was hacked that shut down the Colonial Pipeline?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The billing system. Since the company was unsure they could bill customers correctly, they shut down the pipelines supplying gasoline, aviation fuel, and other critical fuels to the entire east coast.

Yep. The pipeline was fully functional.

https://jalopnik.com/the-colonial-pipeline-was-fine-but-it-was-shutdown-to-1846911689
It was all about Koch industries making sure they collected every penny of their revenues. Couldn't have inaccurate accounting, could they?

Don't confuse these pipelines with infrastructure or public utilities. They are 100% private, for-profit systems.
Sponsored

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
The billing system. Since the company was unsure they could bill customers correctly, they shut down the pipelines supplying gasoline, aviation fuel, and other critical fuels to the entire east coast.

Yep. The pipeline was fully functional.

https://jalopnik.com/the-colonial-pipeline-was-fine-but-it-was-shutdown-to-1846911689
It was all about Koch industries making sure they collected every penny of their revenues. Couldn't have inaccurate accounting, could they?

Don't confuse these pipelines with infrastructure or public utilities. They are 100% private, for-profit systems.
I was already mad at Colonial Pipeline for passing the cost of the impact on to consumers through raised prices to recoup their losses rather than cutting into their profits to pay for any issues... now I'm even more mad to find out that they only shut the system down to ensure they could get paid properly!

That's not how public service sectors or utilities should operate. For example, when SEPTA (Philly's public transit) had a billing hack, they didn't stop the trains so they could be sure to collect all their fares... they just ran the trains and didn't charge customers. All the more reason I'm happy to be moving towards electrification!

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I was already mad at Colonial Pipeline for passing the cost of the impact on to consumers through raised prices to recoup their losses rather than cutting into their profits to pay for any issues... now I'm even more mad to find out that they only shut the system down to ensure they could get paid properly!

That's not how public service sectors or utilities should operate. For example, when SEPTA (Philly's public transit) had a billing hack, they didn't stop the trains so they could be sure to collect all their fares... they just ran the trains and didn't charge customers. All the more reason I'm happy to be moving towards electrification!
I'll repeat the last line of my post:

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I'll repeat the last line of my post:
Agreed. I wasn't trying to say that it is infrastructure or a public utility, but it certainly masquerades awfully close to that. And you'd hope they would feel ethically obliged based on their broader impact to act responsibly and not send the stock market into a tumble and people scrambling to fill up plastic shopping bags and water bottles with gasoline so that they could bill properly.

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag

I agree with you. If they are trying to raise the price to cover loses for their own incompetence in protecting their systems. They should be double penalized.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
BTW since I/family have been driving EV's for ~ 20 years we almost never interact with the ICE eco system is this 'Gas Buddy' thing the ICE equivalent of 'Plug Share'. Looks completely user reported and very close to the ground. Always the most accurate info...

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
BTW since I/family have been driving EV's for ~ 20 years we almost never interact with the ICE eco system is this 'Gas Buddy' thing the ICE equivalent of 'Plug Share'. Looks completely user reported and very close to the ground. Always the most accurate info...
I'd say Plugshare and Gas Buddy are very similar that way -- pretty much all crowdsourced info plus some money making commercial operations attached to it.
Sponsored