FUSKED

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X P90D & Model S 90D
Country flag
I can’t wait for a Mach-E! This would never happen with a Ford!!

In the Model S owner's words:

I’ve been experiencing major pressure buffeting from the lift gate of the Model S. This issue has been well documented amongst many owners and the resolution is to adjust the rubber discs that come into contact with the plastic adjustable shims of the car body. I’ve performed this adjustment and so has the service center. But now, there’s no way of resolving this issue. Additionally, Tesla service refuses to even acknowledge this obvious defect. My 15 year old son and I performed extensive research on this matter, and we discovered a direct correlation between the inconsistent panel gaps of the rear portion of the model S and the pressure buffeting. The threading attached to the frame, under the plastic adjustable shim is straight on the drivers side, and askew on the passenger side. The surrounding aluminum is also showing signs of ductile fracturing. The movement of this threaded component, prevents the shim from sitting equal to the drivers side shim, therefore causing the lift gate not being able to fully sit level, causing inconsistent gaps at the adjoining panel transitions. Even more disturbing, the aluminum body panel that surrounds the lift gate opening is exhibiting a significant tension stress. I haven’t removed any interior body trim panels to examine the adjacent panels. I measured the body gaps resulting from this structural failure with a digital caliper. The difference in spacing is 3mm. This is significant. I’ve attached photos of the threaded rod area showing signs of ductile fracture, the right side of the lift gate opening exhibiting signs of failure from the tension stresses. This vehicle has NEVER been in an accident. This potentially dangerous defect should be investigated and publicized to other unsuspecting Model S owners.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Model S Structural Failure 5BD0D795-F48E-4925-ABBE-70A153D45CB9

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Model S Structural Failure 90C97B90-9AF8-493B-B4CE-DE734421CCB7

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Model S Structural Failure 5A240D5C-6D6E-4DE4-92D0-0E745607EC74

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Model S Structural Failure E441CBEC-5988-48C9-918B-4A6D38CBAD48

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Model S Structural Failure DCAB9E35-1C3D-41A8-988B-8711E016AD53

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Model S Structural Failure 62A76362-E94A-4B71-9571-666940FC17F7

Ford Mustang Mach-E Tesla Model S Structural Failure 03CDA7D4-4CE8-4804-9320-65B2B7985035

bosbruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
00 Boxster S,(prior M3P,Mach E,Taycan), 23 Plaid S
Country flag
Good article! FYI, my Job 1, Premium RWD SR Mach E "Strang E Stang" had misfitting frunk that required slamming (I ended up putting washers as shims under one side of hood latch so at least visually it was even but still required a bit of a slam to close), and had worse panel gap differences from right to left of rear hatch than my current 2023 Tesla Model S Plaid "PleiadeS"... That said, overall, fit and finish of the Mach E was a good bit better than my 2018 Tesla Model 3 and my current Model S Plaid. But I've had no real reliability issues with any of my 8 EVs to date apart from one Chevy Volt (I had 3!) needing a tow when low voltage battery died and they had to replace the some low voltage charging part. Shockingly, though, my 2023 Plaid S suffers from this sometimes very annoying buffeting and this article I'm convinced is the reason, as left rear shim wasn't even attached to the threading... I've glued the threading into the shim, and will attach it once dried and adjust in hopes that buffeting is done for so I can enjoy not just the mind-numbingly amazing 1020 hp but also the 960 watts blasted through 22 speakers without extra unwanted buffeting sounds!