kmurraydesigns

First Name
Kaylin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Ok... so I have a 30a/240 v plug in my garage, can I use the Ford supplied charger with that amp-age, or do I need to upgrade the plug?
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Ok... so I have a 30a/240 v plug in my garage, can I use the Ford supplied charger with that amp-age, or do I need to upgrade the plug?
You'll need an EVSE designed for your 30A circuit, or you'll need either a 40 or 50A circuit with a NEMA 14-50R receptacle to support the included mobile charger.

Search the forum and you'll find many, many discussions on this.

smp

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Ford Mobile Charger that came with the MME can deliver 32 Amps to the Vehicle, so your 30 Amp circuit should be upgraded. I had a 40 Amp circuit installed in my garage for my Mobile Charger.

Of course, you could find a wall charger that will deliver less than 30 Amps to the vehicle (I'd say no more than 25-26 Amps to have a safety margin) but that would charge more slowly than you Mobile Charger could.

And yes, there are many discussions similar to this here in the Forum.

smp

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
The Ford Mobile Charger that came with the MME can deliver 32 Amps to the Vehicle, so your 30 Amp circuit should be upgraded. I had a 40 Amp circuit installed in my garage for my Mobile
Not "can", *WILL* (although I've heard it's closer to 30A max pull). You cannot use the Ford EVSE without exceeding your maximum current on that outlet (24A). You need a different EVSE like the Grizzl-E or to have the outlet upgraded/replaced.

OP
OP
kmurraydesigns

kmurraydesigns

First Name
Kaylin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
You'll need an EVSE designed for your 30A circuit, or you'll need either a 40 or 50A circuit with a NEMA 14-50R receptacle to support the included mobile charger.

Not "can", *WILL* (although I've heard it's closer to 30A max pull). You cannot use the Ford EVSE without exceeding your maximum current on that outlet (24A). You need a different EVSE like the Grizzl-E or to have the outlet upgraded/replaced.
The Ford Mobile Charger that came with the MME can deliver 32 Amps to the Vehicle, so your 30 Amp circuit should be upgraded. I had a 40 Amp circuit installed in my garage for my Mobile Charger.

smp
Thanks, y'all I am planning on having someone come and upgrade the outlet to a 40 or 50 amp outlet ?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Thanks, y'all I am planning on having someone come and upgrade the outlet to a 40 or 50 amp outlet ?
I think a 50A will be required under code to install a 14-50 plug.
Sponsored