US to probe Texas fatal crash that may have involved Ford partially automated driving system

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I found several articles like this that explain how very few if any driver assistance systems will stop for stationary objects at high speeds. That is why you have to keep your eyes on the road.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/0...-sometimes-hit-parked-cars-and-lane-dividers/
That's a good article that explains the limitations. It's 5 years old, but still applies because radar sensing limitations of stationary objects are fundamentally the same due to physics.
Sponsored

JamesStew71

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mustang mach e
Occupation
auto tech
Country flag
Considering the fact that San Antonio is as flat as a pancake, the car should have detected to stopped car a lot sooner. šŸ˜¢
San Antonio drivers are hell regardless of terrain or vehicle. To be safe take the driver out of the equtionšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I like to take an additional step of following a larger vehicle at the maximum distance the cruise control will allow before I activate Blue Cruise, usually a bus or truck with a professional driver. That way, I have a professional driver watching the road in front of me. This is about three seconds following distance, and if the truck does make a panic stop, my Mach E can stop shorter than the truck. At three seconds following, I do pick up a barely noticeable drafting effect, too.
So how often do you replace your windshield?

Trick.Mach-E

First Name
Trick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old Raptor, Mach-E4x, New Raptor, F-250, Taycan.
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
That is my thought exactly, but honestly I strongly suspect that's indeed what happened. I noticed that he never responded to people who said, "I hope you're both alright."
The OP in that thread also got upset at all the speculating along with other questions being asked about the accident. The OP did NOT want to talk about anything other than if the damage was repairable.

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
This makes it sound like the Honda driver survived the crash and later died in the hospital. There is no reason to believe the MMe driver knew the severity or result of the injuries when he posted. I encourage those who commented on his frame of mind when he made the original post to revisit their inferences. I thought the speculation to be reckless at the time, and after reading this article, Iā€™m more strongly of that view.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
This makes it sound like the Honda driver survived the crash and later died in the hospital. There is no reason to believe the MMe driver knew the severity or result of the injuries when he posted. I encourage those who commented on his frame of mind when he made the original post to revisit their inferences. I thought the speculation to be reckless at the time, and after reading this article, Iā€™m more strongly of that view.
I agree and I have made no such posts on this or any other thread.

ChehRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD Ext. Range
Occupation
ret
Country flag
Much recommend reading that Ars Technica artlcle. My summary: limited situational awareness, and because of various restraints ADAS ignores (has to ignore) stationary objects. Yeow!

Shepherd

First Name
Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E GT, Carbonized Grey. "Magneto"
Occupation
Federal Government
So Iā€™m having trouble understanding how BC could be blamed for this. Unless the argument is that BC encourages people to be less attentive. But again, it does a great job of monitoring for attentiveness.
The personal injury lawyers will grab onto this and blame anyone with deep pockets. US had 44,000 traffic deaths in crashes in 2023. It's hypocritical to say cars with driver assist technology must have ZERO fatalities when we tolerate human caused deaths so blithely.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
The personal injury lawyers will grab onto this and blame anyone with deep pockets. US had 44,000 traffic deaths in crashes in 2023. It's hypocritical to say cars with driver assist technology must have ZERO fatalities when we tolerate human caused deaths so blithely.
If it were a parked car on the side of the road and BC hit it ā€œTesla style,ā€ maybe.

But even the sleaziest of attorneys would have no luck for a parked car in the middle lane with no lights on the highway.

You are right about Human caused deaths since they donā€™t have as deep of pockets as manufacturer caused deaths. Not surprising who the attorneys go after first.

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69mach1, 11 R56S MINI, LR LR4, Mach-E IBSM.
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
There's been at least 2 fatal accidents like this in my area, night time, stalled car middle of the road with no lights on. It's really sad, but if you're not in a we'll lit area it's near impossible for a human to avoid at highway speeds.

Yeah 110 Feet per second at 75 mph. Thats basically a Football field every 2.7 seconds. 85% of humans have a reaction time of 1.5 seconds in great conditions. The stopping distance at 70 mph for the Mach E is 166 feet. He would have needed to see the car about 110 yards before impact to both react and stop without a collision. He probably saw the car at 40 yards and shit his pants.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
the driver said he was using blue cruise, so Iā€™m sure ford will look to protect their product
Yeah, but was it ā€œHands Freeā€ BC or ā€œHands Onā€ BC? :)

I think Ford is eventually going to come to regret introducing that confusion.
Sponsored