12v battery drain during DCFC?

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
Sorry if this is already a thread. But I couldn't find it.

So I've noticed that if I'm AC charging, with the car turned on, it just shows a little plug icon on the screen. But if I'm DC charging it shows a plug icon and also the red battery icon. Does that mean it's draining the 12v battery during DC charging?

If that's the case that seems like a rather large oversight.. I mean people are going to want to run the radio and maybe even the AC during charging
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Sorry if this is already a thread. But I couldn't find it.

So I've noticed that if I'm AC charging, with the car turned on, it just shows a little plug icon on the screen. But if I'm DC charging it shows a plug icon and also the red battery icon. Does that mean it's draining the 12v battery during DC charging?

If that's the case that seems like a rather large oversight.. I mean people are going to want to run the radio and maybe even the AC during charging
I think that is normal for Full Accessory Mode. I see the red battery icon when in that mode even when plugged in at home.
(Have never DCFC'd yet so can't comment on that part....)

20210418_073013.jpg

v8318cid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MMe Prm. 4x , 19 Nissan Leaf, 22 GC 4xe
Occupation
Information Tech
Country flag
If you're operating in Accessory mode, the DC-to-DC inverter (the one that charges the 12v battery) is not enabled. When you are plugged in, the car doesn't appear to let you go to full power (aka Ready) mode (certain someone can validate whether this is true or not; every other BEV/PHEV I've had has always had some mechanism to prevent driving off when shore power is applied).

By the by, this thing has the smallest 12v battery I've seen in a full size automobile yet. 48 Ah, and about maybe twice the size of my Goldwing battery... I know there isn't a huge need for tons of CCAs since there's no ICE - just impressed. Hey, less weight right?

OP
OP
mpshizzle

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
If you're operating in Accessory mode, the DC-to-DC inverter (the one that charges the 12v battery) is not enabled. When you are plugged in, the car doesn't appear to let you go to full power (aka Ready) mode (certain someone can validate whether this is true or not; every other BEV/PHEV I've had has always had some mechanism to prevent driving off when shore power is applied).

By the by, this thing has the smallest 12v battery I've seen in a full size automobile yet. 48 Ah, and about maybe twice the size of my Goldwing battery... I know there isn't a huge need for tons of CCAs since there's no ICE - just impressed. Hey, less weight right?
Uh huh. Ok well that confirms my suspicions I suppose
Sponsored