George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Camry,sienna,Honda
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
my sister-in-law ordered 2022 mach e grey select basic.,ordered in November and delivered yesterday .Arriving at the dealership to pick the car up or to do the paperwork The dealer was putting on a $15000 mark up top of the MSRP.we need help!!! She wants the car but not the mark up.. My dealer is in another city hopefully I will not run into the same problems.
Any one else have similar storie.
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
my sister-in-law ordered 2022 mach e grey select basic.,ordered in November and delivered yesterday .Arriving at the dealership to pick the car up or to do the paperwork The dealer was putting on a $15000 mark up top of the MSRP.we need help!!! She wants the car but not the mark up.. My dealer is in another city hopefully I will not run into the same problems.
Thatā€™s really messed up they are doing that to an order.

OP
OP
2nd Ford

2nd Ford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Yes ...15k She said the floor manager will not budge.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Do you have a signed purchase agreement with the dealer that specifics the price they agreed to sell it for?

OP
OP
2nd Ford

2nd Ford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
She went to pick it up and signed the paperwork and then they hit her with the additional 15000 on top of the msrp.. I thought they were not supposed to do that.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
She went to pick it up and signed the paperwork and then they hit her with the additional 15000 on top of the msrp.. I thought they were not supposed to do that.
That's not what I mean. Does she have a signed agreement with the dealership that specifies the amount she agrees to pay and they agree to sell it. That must be done in advance of delivery. If you don't have that, there is really nothing you can do.

Many people think just putting in a order request via the Ford website is sufficient, but you are buying the car from the dealership, not Ford. You need an agreement with them. Ford just matches you with a dealer and then you have to work out the deal with them.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
There are many stories like this. Mayne that car is on delivery hold so there may be some time for her to reach out to the Ford social media team. If you search here there should be some links to those folks.

Good luck.

OP
OP
2nd Ford

2nd Ford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
All dealers What's a wait for the car 1st and then we can do the numbers unfortunately she does not have it. What about getting the $500 back?

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
All dealers What's a wait for the car 1st and then we can do the numbers unfortunately she does not have it. What about getting the $500 back?
Did she order online via Ford.com or physically at the dealership. You should be able to login into your Ford account and check the price sheet (sorta one) which should list a markup on the order.

Now, if she took over an order that wasn't hers... she's kinda out of luck. I don't see Ford defending her.

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
There are many stories like this. Mayne that car is on delivery hold so there may be some time for her to reach out to the Ford social media team. If you search here there should be some links to those folks.

Good luck.
Unfortunately, this is true with Ford dealerships. If you have a signed purchase order with a defined price, you have a legal leg to stand on. Many people didnā€™t realize that and got hit with markups or theyā€™d have to abandon their order. As a lawyer, I can understand the nuance of it, but itā€™s still a super shady practice. You shouldnā€™t have to be a lawyer to be able to not get the rug pulled out from under you by a shady Ford dealer. Alas, here we are.

The best thing you can probably do right now is get in touch with Ford corporate though social media and see if they can put some pressure on the dealership.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
If this was a special order (green window sticker), then I'd contact Ford as a markup after the initial order was made goes against what Ford stated.

It's one thing to see the additional markup on the order sheet, but if she had ordered with $0 then Ford should back her up and transfer the order to another dealer.

Ask her if she has a $0 ADM (line E24) or a buyer's sale form?
Ford Mustang Mach-E $15000 mark up..help!!! Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 7.55.41 AM

ItsFootballTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Mach-e GT (on order)
Country flag
I'd go to social media and get Ford's attention. I'm doubtful on how good channels like Facebook or Twitter will be for this case as the employees hired to do social media monitoring by Ford on these channels are probably low ranking employees. But worth a try. I'd personally recommend using LinkedIn if you have a strong profile. Don't just post a complaint but rather as a "business case study" post on pricing and its effect on brand loyalty. Then tag their CMO/executives assuming you are at least a 2nd degree apart (if 3rd degree or more then probably won't get their attention unless there are a lot of responses).

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Unfortunately, this is true with Ford dealerships. If you have a signed purchase order with a defined price, you have a legal leg to stand on. Many people didnā€™t realize that and got hit with markups or theyā€™d have to abandon their order. As a lawyer, I can understand the nuance of it, but itā€™s still a super shady practice. You shouldnā€™t have to be a lawyer to be able to not get the rug pulled out from under you by a shady Ford dealer. Alas, here we are.

The best thing you can probably do right now is get in touch with Ford corporate though social media and see if they can put some pressure on the dealership.
I agree it is shady but the buyer has a responsibility to understand what they are buying.

Ford corporate is very unlikely to do anything because there is no signed purchase agreement. In the past they have gotten involved when there is an agreement. But in this case, there is nothing. So what is Ford going to do?

A dealer can add all kinds of things on top of MSRP. All dealers add paperwork processing fees. All dealers collect taxes. There might be some sort of paint protection or extended warranty. If there is no agreement regarding what those things are, there is nothing the buyer can do.

This is a painful learning experience for sure, but the buyer has to take personal responsibility for the outcome IMO.

@2nd Ford , she definitely should be able to get her deposit back. Don't back off on that one..
Sponsored