Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
That is the most ridiculous setting I have ever seen. The winshield provides the front view. The tiny rear window (also blocked by headrests) is the problem, and a while driving forward, a rear camera via button press like Tesla has would be helpful.
You're missing the point of the 360 deg. view and confusing it with something else.

The 360 deg. as others have said is super helpful in tight parking situations and the like. Looking down the windshield on pretty much any car, you can't see the front-most part of the bumper. You're using your experience combined with guessing to hope that the exact front part is where you think it is. That's why front parking sensors are pretty common as well - same reason. I drove in Europe earlier this year and the 360 deg. view in the rental (a Nissan crossover) was a lifesaver multiple times. It was very, very far from "ridiculous." In fact, literally every time I back in my Fusion into my garage or the gf's C-Max into hers, I always get a little worried I didn't quite back in far enough to avoid getting clipped by the garage door, because I can't see the very front of the car. And no, you can't either, not through the windshield. (I use the backup camera guidelines with known good places in the garage to get the lineup right, so this is not a "real" problem to worry about, and yet I do. every. single. time.)

This is not a replacement for a rear-view camera and it's not supposed to be. That's a different topic altogether.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
You're missing the point of the 360 deg. view and confusing it with something else.

The 360 deg. as others have said is super helpful in tight parking situations and the like. Looking down the windshield on pretty much any car, you can't see the front-most part of the bumper. You're using your experience combined with guessing to hope that the exact front part is where you think it is. That's why front parking sensors are pretty common as well - same reason. I drove in Europe earlier this year and the 360 deg. view in the rental (a Nissan crossover) was a lifesaver multiple times. It was very, very far from "ridiculous." In fact, literally every time I back in my Fusion into my garage or the gf's C-Max into hers, I always get a little worried I didn't quite back in far enough to avoid getting clipped by the garage door, because I can't see the very front of the car. And no, you can't either, not through the windshield. (I use the backup camera guidelines with known good places in the garage to get the lineup right, so this is not a "real" problem to worry about, and yet I do. every. single. time.)

This is not a replacement for a rear-view camera and it's not supposed to be. That's a different topic altogether.
Exactly. The parking stall my MME will reside in is a tight enough fit. Front and 360 cameras will ensure I’m not hitting the bicycles down low when pulling in. Very good feature imo.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
understood. are there any images of the camera on while driving?
I don't believe we have that yet and that is where your "rear view camera button" would come in which we don't have any evidence of I think at this time.

It should in theory be an easy add in the software at some point, maybe in half of the screen like the parking view. We have pretty good evidence it won't be a GM-like "camera display in the mirror" which would be a reasonable cheat.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I don't believe we have that yet and that is where your "rear view camera button" would come in which we don't have any evidence of I think at this time.

It should in theory be an easy add in the software at some point, maybe in half of the screen like the parking view. We have pretty good evidence it won't be a GM-like "camera display in the mirror" which would be a reasonable cheat.
Perhaps the September 24 Webinar on the Sync 4a will answer some of these questions.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag

The ride-along guy's thread mentioned that the while driving camera could be turned on, but then quickly timed out and turned off while driving. Not sure how far down the camera button is burried or how long it stays on, but I guess that is better than nothing if you need a better look at what's behind you than the rear view mirror gives.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The ride-along guy's thread mentioned that the while driving camera could be turned on, but then quickly timed out and turned off while driving. Not sure how far down the camera button is burried or how long it stays on, but I guess that is better than nothing if you need a better look at what's behind you than the rear view mirror gives.
Assuming Ford takes suggestions, it would make sense to me to have a setting that allows the rearview (and possibly side cameras) to automatically come on if you hit the turn signal. I know that the side mirrors have the warning light but I am a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy, and having the visual confirmation would be nice. It may seem a little silly to some, but since we're only talking software adding an option doesn't hurt anyone else and might help a dope like me.

ncmagus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e Select, AWD
Country flag
Assuming Ford takes suggestions, it would make sense to me to have a setting that allows the rearview (and possibly side cameras) to automatically come on if you hit the turn signal. I know that the side mirrors have the warning light but I am a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy, and having the visual confirmation would be nice. It may seem a little silly to some, but since we're only talking software adding an option doesn't hurt anyone else and might help a dope like me.
If the side cameras are looking down and not away from the vehicule like the mirror. It seems to me like it would be way more dangerous. You don't see if a car in the other lane is driving faster and about to "reach" you (sorry for my bad english), or might not be able to see a motorcycle because the camera doesn't show "far enough" on the other side of the lane.
For the rearview, I totally agree !

OP
OP
Mach-Luan

Mach-Luan

First Name
Luan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition Rapid Red reservation
Country flag
If the side cameras are looking down and not away from the vehicule like the mirror. It seems to me like it would be way more dangerous. You don't see if a car in the other lane is driving faster and about to "reach" you (sorry for my bad english), or might not be able to see a motorcycle because the camera doesn't show "far enough" on the other side of the lane.
For the rearview, I totally agree !
Yes, it seems sideviews are for closer look including ground for safer maneuvering while parking.
For checking traffic in the side lanes, there is BLIS (Blind Spot Information System).
And of course, it is a good practice to always check visually while driving.
As a motorbike rider, I am concerned
Sponsored