sean7512

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT Grabber Blue & Cyber Orange
Country flag
Not a dumb question. Everything in the circuit to an EVSE needs to be continuous-duty rated. Don’t buy an adapter marketed solely for use with an RV.

If their welder is a Lincoln “buzz box”, the receptacle should be a NEMA 5-50 on a 50A circuit. If so, it will work fine for the Ford Mobile Charger with an adapter.
Here is the plug. It is on a dedicated 40amp circuit.

IMG_1104.png
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Here is the plug. It is on a dedicated 40amp circuit.

Ford Mustang Mach-E About to pull the trigger...a few questions on space, reliability, and trim IMG_1104
That looks like a NEMA 10-50. If it is, and is wired conventionally, it has 2 hots, a neutral, and no ground. If it’s wired from the main service (not a subpanel) the neutral can function as a ground and should be able to power the FMC. Any doubts, have it checked by an electrician.

OP
OP
sean7512

sean7512

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That looks like a NEMA 10-50. If it is, and is wired conventionally, it has 2 hots, a neutral, and no ground. If it’s wired from the main service (not a subpanel) the neutral can function as a ground and should be able to power the FMC. Any doubts, have it checked by an electrician.
Thanks, we will have an electrician take a look. I'd like to update it to a 14-50 and then just use the FMC. That should be safe, right?

If we change his plug to 14-50, is there an adapter we can buy so he can still use his welder (I assume so, but just checking)?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Thanks, we will have an electrician take a look. I'd like to update it to a 14-50 and then just use the FMC. That should be safe, right?

If we change his plug to 14-50, is there an adapter we can buy so he can still use his welder (I assume so, but just checking)?
There are adapters available to plug a 10-50 device into a 14-50 socket. ~$30 on Amazon. 😊🐩

If you get the receptacle replaced with a 14-50R, make sure that there is a valid earth ground in the box that is connected to the receptacle’s ground termination point. Often, you will find that non-grounded outlets do not have a ground wire in their j-box. 🤔🐩

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
1) No idea. Hitch doesn't void warranty unless Ford proves it caused a covered failure.

2) 132 miles roundtrip? Sure. Just judicious use the heater, run the seat heaters and steering wheel heater, and dress properly. If you blast the heat, it will still make it but be much tighter. Ideally, you plug in on both ends and set a departure time to prewarm battery. If you don't have 220v at the in-law's, you cannot do that.

3) It's part of FordPass, and included.
I agree. My MME preconditioned the cabin/battery using only 120V mobile charger during Dec./Jan. while it was outside at relatives. So, if that is available at your in-laws, it should be sufficient. Note: preconditioning will yield substantially more distance than not, and your in-laws will pay for a warm cabin. ;)

OP
OP
sean7512

sean7512

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There are adapters available to plug a 10-50 device into a 14-50 socket. ~$30 on Amazon. 😊🐩

If you get the receptacle replaced with a 14-50R, make sure that there is a valid earth ground in the box that is connected to the receptacle’s ground termination point. Often, you will find that non-grounded outlets do not have a ground wire in their j-box. 🤔🐩
An electrician is coming by today to take a look. My father-in-law took the outlet out and says there is a ground wire in there that is not being used. If thats true, this will be a very cheap and easy fix and then I can use the FMC, which is great news.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
  1. How has the reliability been for the 2023s? Do we think most of the *major* issues have been resolved for the 2023 year? Is there anything more or less reliable between a 2023 and a 2023.5?
So I can't speak to 2023 but except for an issue resolved in the first month after delivery, my 2021 has been extremely reliable.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Considering the EVSE is a continuous duty device that will be used regularly and the welder is an intermittent duty device that will be used periodically, your decision is a good one. You are much better off using a 14-50 for the EVSE and using an adapter for the occasional welding job.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
When you say ensure it is rated for continuous use, do you mean their plug or the adapter I would buy? Sorry for the dumb question, I am new to this.
Before you take the next step to switch that outlet to a 14-50, I encourage you to take a few minutes to learn about how to do this safely. This will help when you speak to your electrician:

OP
OP
sean7512

sean7512

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Before you take the next step to switch that outlet to a 14-50, I encourage you to take a few minutes to learn about how to do this safely. This will help when you speak to your electrician:
Excellent video! My father-in-law watched it as well and he talked to the electrician. They are going to re-run it using #6 THHN wire on a new GFCI breaker with a Hubbell industrial outlet. That should make it plenty enough for us to use the FMC at 32amps while we are there. Thanks everyone for all of the insight!

We plan on going Thursday evening to pick up a GT Grabber Blue and say farewell to my Jeep (still a bit sad...been driving a GC since 2011 with 0 issues).

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Excellent video! My father-in-law watched it as well and he talked to the electrician. They are going to re-run it using #6 THHN wire on a new GFCI breaker with a Hubbell industrial outlet. That should make it plenty enough for us to use the FMC at 32amps while we are there. Thanks everyone for all of the insight!

We plan on going Thursday evening to pick up a GT Grabber Blue and say farewell to my Jeep (still a bit sad...been driving a GC since 2011 with 0 issues).
Awesome!
Sponsored