Accessory Mode - How long is it on after car turned off?

OP
OP

sgriffin130

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Red Mach E- C/T Pkg, '23 Escape PHEV/Prem Pkg
Occupation
Dentist(retired)
Country flag
Read this in the manual regarding power outlets:
“Do not leave devices plugged in overnight or when you park your vehicle for extended periods.”

Does this apply to lights plugged into the USB ports? Why is it a caution if the outlets turn off?
Sponsored

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Read this in the manual regarding power outlets:
“Do not leave devices plugged in overnight or when you park your vehicle for extended periods.”

Does this apply to lights plugged into the USB ports? Why is it a caution if the outlets turn off?
only reason I can think of is that WHEN the vehicle periodically wakes up to check 12v, plugged in devices would all fire up at the same time, possibly presenting a significant load until the vehicle returns to 'deep sleep'. It would take a LOT of devices to use much energy, but the LVB is pretty small and would need to wake up the dc-dc system to maintain itself more often that if no external devices were left plugged in.

best practice would be to make sure all external 12v loads are OFF when the vehicle is OFF for 'extended periods'.

in reality, I doubt it would be a problem unless you are parking the vehicle for a month or more.

OP
OP

sgriffin130

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dentist(retired)
Country flag
only reason I can think of is that WHEN the vehicle periodically wakes up to check 12v, plugged in devices would all fire up at the same time, possibly presenting a significant load until the vehicle returns to 'deep sleep'. It would take a LOT of devices to use much energy, but the LVB is pretty small and would need to wake up the dc-dc system to maintain itself more often that if no external devices were left plugged in.

best practice would be to make sure all external 12v loads are OFF when the vehicle is OFF for 'extended periods'.

in reality, I doubt it would be a problem unless you are parking the vehicle for a month or more.
Thanks. I am timing the shut off time for the USB 3 outlet right now. Turned off the Bluetooth on my phone. So far I am at over 20 minutes and still on.

OP
OP

sgriffin130

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dentist(retired)
Country flag
Thanks. I am timing the shut off time for the USB 3 outlet right now. Turned off the Bluetooth on my phone. So far I am at over 20 minutes and still on.
The lights plugged into the USB 3 went off after 30 minutes. I don’t know if that is too much drain or not.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
The lights plugged into the USB 3 went off after 30 minutes. I don’t know if that is too much drain or not.
I think the default in the auto shut off timer is 30 minutes. You can change it to 10 minutes if you prefer or disable it if you are camping and want the car to remain on overnight for instance. I doubt that what you have plugged in presents much of a load, really wouldn't worry about it unless you are parking the car for more than a month without driving

OP
OP

sgriffin130

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dentist(retired)
Country flag
I think the default in the auto shut off timer is 30 minutes. You can change it to 10 minutes if you prefer or disable it if you are camping and want the car to remain on overnight for instance. I doubt that what you have plugged in presents much of a load, really wouldn't worry about it unless you are parking the car for more than a month without driving
I didn’t think that was for the power outlets.
Sponsored