Accessory Mode - How long is it on after car turned off?

sgriffin130

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Red Mach E- C/T Pkg, '23 Escape PHEV/Prem Pkg
Occupation
Dentist(retired)
Country flag
Couldn't find anything in the manual or on forum. How long does the car stay in accessory mode once turned off? In other words if I have led interior lights plugged into the USB port, how long will they stay on once the car is off and locked?
Thanks.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Your question is not worded correctly. The car is not in accessory mode if you drive, then push the button to turn it off. It's OFF.

Accessory mode is where you push the On button without stepping on the brake pedal. Or, if you plug into a DC charger with the car running, it will shift to Accessory mode.

I'm sure someone will pipe in with the timeout on the usb ports, I don't recall whether it's 20/30 minutes, or it doesn't turn off.

OP
OP

sgriffin130

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dentist(retired)
Country flag
I'll rephrase my question: If I have led interior lights plugged into the USB port behind the seats and I stop, turn off the car, get out and lock it, how long will the lights stay on in the car and is it a problem to leave them plugged in? It seem like when I returned to the car 15-30 minutes later they were off. I know it uses power but I am assuming ing it is minimal.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Off would be expected. I believe you would need to change the timeout with FORScan, and then it would simply drain the battery.

OP
OP

sgriffin130

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dentist(retired)
Country flag
Off would be expected. I believe you would need to change the timeout with FORScan, and then it would simply drain the battery.
I want them to turn off. I am just wondering how long they will stay on after I lock the car. I had a Dashcamsm installed and hardwired with a back up battery but do not want to pay to have the lights hardwired. So I am using the USB connection for power.

CommittotheIndian

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mach-E Select eAWD Star White
Occupation
Indiana Supreme Court - IT
Country flag
I have not timed it exactly but I would estimate 10 mins or a little less. I regularly get to work early and sometimes just sit there on my phone. Everything shuts off around the 10 min mark.

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
I have not timed it exactly but I would estimate 10 mins or a little less. I regularly get to work early and sometimes just sit there on my phone. Everything shuts off around the 10 min mark.
In my Edge the radio shuts off after 10 minutes but the 12 volt power outlets and USB ports continue to be powered for 75 minutes. I know because I wanted to do a dashcam but having it on for 75 minutes after every shutdown was not desirable. Ended up plugging into the AC outlet in the back seat as that powers down immediately when the engine shuts off. (It does disable the auto stop of the engine which with these gas prices I may have to revisit, but that wouldn't apply to the Mach E as it doesn't have an AC outlet.)

jglor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Dark Matter Gray RWD Mach-E
Country flag
On mine it's exactly 30 minutes. I've got a camera plugged into the 12volt in the center compartment and it always records exactly 30 minutes of footage before shutting down.
One of these days I'm going to hard-wire it. I just haven't gotten around to it.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I want them to turn off. I am just wondering how long they will stay on after I lock the car. I had a Dashcamsm installed and hardwired with a back up battery but do not want to pay to have the lights hardwired. So I am using the USB connection for power.
Probably not gonna be found documented anywhere.

Best bet is to plug them into the USB and test it yourself.

My guess is either it’s always on or it shuts off quickly after you lock the car.

Looks like an answer here:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...just-got-this-error-for-the-first-time.20140/

15 minutes?

OP
OP

sgriffin130

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dentist(retired)
Country flag
Probably not gonna be found documented anywhere.

Best bet is to plug them into the USB and test it yourself.

My guess is either it’s always on or it shuts off quickly after you lock the car.

Looks like an answer here:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...just-got-this-error-for-the-first-time.20140/

15 minutes?
Sounds about right. It does go off eventually. I haven’t timed it. I thought maybe someone knew already. I don’t see how it could be a problem since the load is so low.

Spooky

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Accessory mode is where you push the On button without stepping on the brake pedal. Or, if you plug into a DC charger with the car running, it will shift to Accessory mode.
You sure on that second part? The reason I ask is the half a dozen or so times we have DCFC charged we haven’t turned the car off, X many minutes the message appears about turning off and I press button to keep it running. We’ve left it running as we’ve been in it and the weather not the greatest, so using the temp control. Wasn’t the car actually running during this time, not in accessory mode?

Although also always wondered if one was in accessory mode would the main battery let the 12v drain all the way out.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
there is a setting under vehicle... auto-off defaults to 10 minutes, but you can select 30, or disable so the car stays ON if you lock up and walk away and want your a/c to stay on(or heat)

OP
OP

sgriffin130

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dentist(retired)
Country flag
there is a setting under vehicle... auto-off defaults to 10 minutes, but you can select 30, or disable so the car stays ON if you lock up and walk away and want your a/c to stay on(or heat)
Thanks for all the posts. I apologize for being so OCD about this. I consider my self reasonably tech savvy for a 76 year-old. I have worked/owned computers since the early 80's, both Macs and PCs, did some underwater video shooting and editing, etc., but I don't know much about car electronics. I guess what I really want to know is this: I have two sets of 4-bar LED lights I have installed in the car and have them plugged into a USB splitter that is plugged into the USB port behind the center console. (I could also plug them into the Kewig Dual USB Car Charger/voltmeter with an on/off switch I have plug into the center console). In addition I have a Tninkware U1000 2-channel dash cam with the radar module and Thinkware battery pack hardwired, which I run on energy saving mode. I thought that the HVB charges the LVB if it gets too low(I know there have been some problems with that) and my car is a post May 25th build. So having said all of that, will the delay in shutting off the lights after turning off the car cause significant drain on the battery? (The LEDs are the 12v variety). Additionally, what should the reading be on the voltmeter for a healthy battery?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Thanks for all the posts. I apologize for being so OCD about this. I consider my self reasonably tech savvy for a 76 year-old. I have worked/owned computers since the early 80's, both Macs and PCs, did some underwater video shooting and editing, etc., but I don't know much about car electronics. I guess what I really want to know is this: I have two sets of 4-bar LED lights I have installed in the car and have them plugged into a USB splitter that is plugged into the USB port behind the center console. (I could also plug them into the Kewig Dual USB Car Charger/voltmeter with an on/off switch I have plug into the center console). In addition I have a Tninkware U1000 2-channel dash cam with the radar module and Thinkware battery pack hardwired, which I run on energy saving mode. I thought that the HVB charges the LVB if it gets too low(I know there have been some problems with that) and my car is a post May 25th build. So having said all of that, will the delay in shutting off the lights after turning off the car cause significant drain on the battery? (The LEDs are the 12v variety). Additionally, what should the reading be on the voltmeter for a healthy battery?
the MME *should* maintain the 12v battery from the HV battery as needed automatically. you should never see the LVB below 11.9v when the MME is sleeping. It will jump up to 14.4+v as soon as you turn the car on, which charges the lvb whie you are on, just like an alternator.

OP
OP

sgriffin130

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dentist(retired)
Country flag
the MME *should* maintain the 12v battery from the HV battery as needed automatically. you should never see the LVB below 11.9v when the MME is sleeping. It will jump up to 14.4+v as soon as you turn the car on, which charges the lvb whie you are on, just like an alternator.
thanks
Sponsored