SeattleMachE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
It's a very divisive issue here in WA state. The RTA tax goes directly to sound transit. Which is an extremely large Private Company that has a 20+ year history of cost overruns, behind schedule projects and less than expected quality construction. It has no oversight from the population that it it serves, having direct links to county executives who continually take kickbacks by overpromising and under delivering. WA state has a multi-decade, multi-generational history of botched transportation projects which are ultimately the responsibility of the taxpayer. It's not that we don't understand that things cost money; the problem is the money that we spend is not appropriately used and typically goes directly to the CEO's, executives and project managers at the expense of us. Not trying to get too political but having lived here my whole life, it's not hard to understand why $600 tax and billions of dollars to pay for brand new escalators at a light rail station that don't work the day they are turned on.
How does Sound Transit have no oversight? It's board members are all elected officials. It's funding are all voter-approved taxes. They've opened multiple stations under budget and ahead of schedule. What numbers back up a claim that money isn't being appropriately used? Escalators were a miss, they've acknowledged and outlined a plan to correct.
Sponsored

joes723

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 GTPE IBSM "LITHEUM"
Country flag
How does Sound Transit have no oversight? It's board members are all elected officials. It's funding are all voter-approved taxes. They've opened multiple stations under budget and ahead of schedule. What numbers back up a claim that money isn't being appropriately used? Escalators were a miss, they've acknowledged and outlined a plan to correct.
Like I said, it's very complicated. They are, "governed by a board of directors with 18 members who are appointed based on their positions in regional and local governments" and "appoint their remaining seats from local elected positions with approval of the county councils." None of the people in the special taxing districts elect these people, they are elected by those we elect at the local and county level. ST1 was over budget and behind schedule, which led to ST2; later determined to be under funded and not able to keep up with inflation. Leading to ST3 which again will tax people in the region (such as Issaquah) for another 20 years before they ever see any light rail to that particular area. They have botched several projects; incorrectly built walls and flyovers, giving out bonuses to bosses who then risk the lives of those on the ground actually doing the building, light rail sections which failed stranding hundreds of people with no communication as to what to do, etc... I understand the need for progress and mass transit, and I support the ability for people to be able to travel efficiently throughout Western Washington. But given that the projects have been sold to the public to serve the parts of the region that need it (those that have no other options but to take mass transit) the property surrounding those light rail stations increase in value in such a way that it continues to displace the communities they were sold it was meant to serve. There are dozens and dozens of stories over the years. I dont disagree that we need to have these projects completed, but there is a huge gap in the equity and those that actually end up paying the most. (cue simpsons "monorail, monorial, monorail" but replace it with "light rail, light rail, light rail")

SeattleMachE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I’m not sure any construction project can meet the bar of perfection you’ve set but maybe I’m wrong. Either way they’ve got my support, along with the majority of relevant tax payers.

lawman1108

First Name
Pmac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME, 2015 Ford Exp sport, Audi TT quarto 6sp
Country flag
EVERYTIME you register a car in NJ you pay sales tax...the car could of had 10 owners who payed tax and yep, you pay sales tax

Jppumper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1st car: 1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E X Premium
Occupation
Retired Master Certified Heavy Truck Technician
Country flag
"Mass transit (for WA state this means light rail/bus) is really the only meaningful way to address traffic and pollution concerns, not sure why a BEV forum is so worked up about it. Stuff costs money."

Here in the Tampa Bay Area (which is Hillsborough and Pinellas Counties for the most part), there was a move to install light rail with the first leg running from downtown Clearwater to downtown St. Petersburg. This would have greatly increased attendance for the Tampa Bay Rays. The light rail, as it was laid out was great and ran close to my home. It was put up to the voters and the "No Tax For Tracks" people were able to defeat it when it went to the voters. The Bay area is in dire need for mass transit, but since it is a red state, it's hard to get anything through.

Jppumper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1st car: 1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E X Premium
Occupation
Retired Master Certified Heavy Truck Technician
Country flag
EVERYTIME you register a car in NJ you pay sales tax...the car could of had 10 owners who payed tax and yep, you pay sales tax
As I remember growing up on Staten Island, the bill of sale was the secret. If both parties agreed, the sale price was very low for tax purposes. If I sold a used car to someone and the sales price was $2000, you would put $1000 on the signed, handwritten bill of sale.

Mari76

First Name
Mari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E FE, 2013 Ford Explorer Limited
Country flag
$719 for me and I'm in San Diego area.

Deleted member 9461

Did you see the new budget came out, ZERO EV language in there, new ferry's, bus, rail, Inslee keeps promising, but what happened to the GREENEST STATE/MOST EV FRIENDLY state in the country??? All us EV owners are seriously paying for programs we'll mostly never get to use...

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Mine came today... ?. I have 3 BEVs so I pay these extra EV charges 3 times.
Sponsored