Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 228i, MB C300
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Why does every one compare the Mach e to the model y?
I was looking at the Tesla before I purchased my Mach e. Maybe call me old fashion but what sold me on the Mach e
1. Display behind steering wheel. Only the Model S and Model X have this (lets compare the prices of them to the Mach e
2. Dealerships (yes it is a learning curve for them)
3. Physical controls ( Has anyone looked at how everything on the Tesla goes through the screen? Even opening the glove box??)
Yes is there going to be issues with a year 1 model car. The question you have to ask did Tesla have year 1 problems and the answer is yes.
This completely. I went to look at a Model Y first back in January, thinking with the price point it was gonna be a good purchase, and you can get them so fast. I describe it as having no soul. The interior was completely underwhelming, hated only a center console, the steering wheel was tiny, and it handled like a golf car, IMO. Was so boring. Then figured since we were out, decided to give the Mach E a try. Loved it right away. Just the interior and feel of the vehicle, to me, justifies the cost difference.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Another branch of my dealership wanted Old MSRP - 2k in rebate. He gave me his sad story of they don't make any money since the dealership is selling at cost/MSRP 🤣

I thought the dealership gets a at least 10% per car.
You thought wrong.

Other than the last two years (and on other cars), margins on new cars have always sucked.

And they told you a partial truth- on the Mach E invoice and MSRP are same number.

Dealers make money other ways (holdback, volume $$, financing, etc), but the gross margin on new cars sold at invoice is normally crap.

And because MSRP and invoice are the same on the Mach E, selling at MSRP yields little profit.

But, don’t feel bad for them. Dealers have made record profit the last few years (mostly on other cars though where MSRP equals huge margins).