Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MOCH 3
Occupation
Teaching
Country flag
If the Battery Life (and range) gets lower over time, as do all EV's Im guessing, at what point does an owner replace the battery under or out of the warranty. Has anyone replaced one yet? I started at a 230 mile range and now I'm down to 170.. - but a Great Car...
Sponsored

BTRYPWRDPONY

First Name
JAY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE GTPE DMG
Country flag
I believe I read somewhere it has to hold at least 70% of the original battery capacity. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember reading.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
If the Battery Life (and range) gets lower over time, as do all EV's Im guessing, at what point does an owner replace the battery under or out of the warranty. Has anyone replaced one yet? I started at a 230 mile range and now I'm down to 170.. - but a Great Car...
The range reduction you're seeing is because of the weather, not degradation.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
Electric Vehicle Component Coverage: 8 years or 100,00 miles (whichever occurs first), with retention of 70% or more of the original High Voltage Battery capacity over that period.

So battery warranty kicks in if you loose more than 30% capacity. Not weather related.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
OBDII reader and an app like carscanner will show you the internally calculated battery State of Health (SOH) which will indicate if you've actually lost battery capacity versus weather related range.

I've lost 50 miles of range due to weather. SOH is still at 100% on my GT.

daverp

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4, MME Premium (On order)
Occupation
Software
Country flag
Battery warranty is 8/100,000 which is rated at 70% of capacity.

As to your specifics you don't say what model year you have, how many miles you have, and your charging habits. Unless you've particularly abused your battery, only charging on DCFC to 100%, drive very hard, run the battery down to 0% every time, or you've put well in excess of 100,000 miles your car already you're unlikely to be seeing any measurable battery degradation yet.

The range you state is based on a EPA simulated drive. As with all cars as you differ from that simulation your range will differ. The two items that mostly effect range are temperature and drag. Cold impacts the battery, along with the extra draw of heating a car. EV's don't have engine heat to scavenge to heat the passenger compartment. Mach-E use a lower cost, higher energy radiant heater as opposed to a heat pump. The second impact is drag. Roof racks, bike racks, changing your wheels can all impact range significantly, but the number one factor is speed. Physics dictates that the drag coefficient of the car increases as speed increases. More simply put the faster you go the more energy it takes to push the vehicle through the wind. The higher the speed the higher the increase. IE. Going 60 takes 1 unit of energy, going 65 takes 2 units of energy, going70 takes 4 units of energy (not to scale but gives you an idea)

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Battery warranty is 8/100,000 which is rated at 70% of capacity.

As to your specifics you don't say what model year you have, how many miles you have, and your charging habits. Unless you've particularly abused your battery, only charging on DCFC to 100%, drive very hard, run the battery down to 0% every time, or you've put well in excess of 100,000 miles your car already you're unlikely to be seeing any measurable battery degradation yet.

The range you state is based on a EPA simulated drive. As with all cars as you differ from that simulation your range will differ. The two items that mostly effect range are temperature and drag. Cold impacts the battery, along with the extra draw of heating a car. EV's don't have engine heat to scavenge to heat the passenger compartment. Mach-E use a lower cost, higher energy radiant heater as opposed to a heat pump. The second impact is drag. Roof racks, bike racks, changing your wheels can all impact range significantly, but the number one factor is speed. Physics dictates that the drag coefficient of the car increases as speed increases. More simply put the faster you go the more energy it takes to push the vehicle through the wind. The higher the speed the higher the increase. IE. Going 60 takes 1 unit of energy, going 65 takes 2 units of energy, going70 takes 4 units of energy (not to scale but gives you an idea)
Same for my F150 Lightning too.

These batteries are well designed, maintained (BMS), and SOC buffers keep the charge within nominal use.

My PHEV battery has a 10 year / 150,000 mile warranty and after 4 years, it's still about 95% of capacity.

Very confident all my EVs will last a long a time, not that I keep vehicles past 3-4 years....

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
I started at a 230 mile range and now I'm down to 170.. - but a Great Car...
The range will not tell you what percentage of your battery pack is still good. There are many variables that are used to get that number.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
It's the cold causing that as mentioned.

There is a state of health parameter, not sure how accurate it is, but it will take a long time for folks to dip below 70%. Probably at least 150,000 miles.
Sponsored