Bolt no more

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
Last year we tried to buy a Bolt when they announced the 23 model year with the "improved" battery, even got as far as putting down a deposit. My wife wanted to test drive one and of course none were available. We reviewed the specs and finally decided on a 23 Leaf. It listed as a 230 mile range, has a Nav system, heated seats and steering wheel, and is actually a comfortable vehicle.
I personally liked the looks of the Bolt over the Leaf, but good looks isnt always going to get you home.

Tony
Sponsored

flapjake314

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
wow i actually think the bolt EUV is a great car for the price... i'm shocked at the news

Old_Norm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Select EAWD, 2023 Maverick Lariat LUX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Electrifiedsince2013

First Name
Kristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang MachE, 2020 Mustang Convertible
Occupation
health care
Country flag
You can order a new Bolt in Mass for $16k after rebates. The value is amazing, having owned a Bolt LT I still tell people to buy one.
I had one. I really enjoyed it. It was super dorky looking, but it was fun to drive, easy to park, and felt surprisingly roomie while inside. I wanted AWD, and loved the look of the MachE, so I upgraded. However, I would recommend at Bolt to anyone, it was a good little car.

Electrifiedsince2013

First Name
Kristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
health care
Country flag
Yes, the Bolts and EUVs only fast charge up to 50kw rate. If most of your charging is at home then not a big deal. My wife mostly drives local and we have never fast charged her LEAF (chademo yuch) If we will do a road trip it will be in the Mach-E. At least that person did not try to put gas in the Bolt.
Before my Bolt I had a Volt, actually 2. Once I was a a gas station with the Volt and some guy came running over to me telling me it was an electric car and I didnā€™t need gas in it. I had to explain to him that, yes the car was electric, but it also had gas power. I love that story. I think he thought I was just a dumb girl that didnā€™t know what I was doingā€¦.surprise, I knew exactly what I was doing, he didnā€™t know. šŸ˜‚

Electrifiedsince2013

First Name
Kristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
health care
Country flag
First I bought a Chevy Volt and they cancelled the car. Then I bought a Honda Clarity and they cancelled the car. Then I ordered a Chevy Bolt and the cancelled the car. Let me apologize in advance fellow MME owners.
Ohhh, I have a similar history. I bought an Oldsmobile Alero about a month before GM announced they were dropping the Oldsmobile line. Several years later, I purchased a Saturn Vue, and within a couple of months, Saturn was toast. Iā€™ve also owned 2 Volts and a Bolt.
With that said, I donā€™t think the MachE is going anywhere, at least not in the foreseeable future.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
I had one. I really enjoyed it. It was super dorky looking, but it was fun to drive, easy to park, and felt surprisingly roomie while inside. I wanted AWD, and loved the look of the MachE, so I upgraded. However, I would recommend at Bolt to anyone, it was a good little car.
Agreed a fun little dork mobile! AWD on a MachE costs 3grand and adds 100lb of torque, if Bolt had offered that option it would have been a best seller!

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
'17 Volt, 4 years, all EV - $5 worth of petrol., because software forced a fuel burn off to enable addition of new gasoline
'19 Bolt, 4+ years and still currentĀ¹
'21 MME Prem. 4X*

Ā¹The Bolt is without question the best car GM ever built, hands down, bar none, etc. The free larger battery was a huge bonus (now has greater range than MME). Best vehicle I have ever owned and that includes two new Prius' and many Fords. Wife wants to buy another one. (not a GM guy, in fact only previous personally owned GM products were a used Pontiac Catalina and a used Buick LeSabre 50+ years ago)
I agree w/ Erik - had the Bolt come in an AWD version I would have purchased it and saved a bunch.
*The powers that be are gradually imposing AWD requirements upon their inhabitants. Major factor in purchasing AWD MME (no real reason to own an AWD vehicle). Unfortunately, the MME has not proven to be a good purchase - have never owned anything with as many problems as the MME which makes it a new and unpleasant experience (even w/o the HVBJB).

American management has been more than sub par for many, many decades, especially in the automotive industry. GM's decision, while disappointing, is more of the same and should not be that much of a surprise.
They all assume, including Musk, that they are too big to fail and the government will bail them out when they do. Could happen. Maybe.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
They all assume, including Musk, that they are too big to fail and the government will bail them out when they do. Could happen. Maybe.
This is a huge problem, IMO. If they make bad decisions, they should fail. Period. I hate bailouts. Otherwise the consequences for making bad decisions practically disappear, so the motivation to make sound decisions is less. Not zero, of course, because a bailout isn't fun. But still. It is like comparing a minor injury to death. If your life depends on the decision, you will be much more careful with it.

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜18 Pacifica PHEV, ā€˜22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
On the contrary I think this indicates they were losing money hand over fist on these. I think they kept prices low so they had an EV to sell and are now canceling it since they have the Equinox coming.
Youā€™re probably right, but I think they are being premature in canceling it. They must have made the calculation that they would never make money on it. The cynic in me says itā€™s because they see more profit in future in the bigger EVs.

Reactions: SWO

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜18 Pacifica PHEV, ā€˜22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
First I bought a Chevy Volt and they cancelled the car. Then I bought a Honda Clarity and they cancelled the car. Then I ordered a Chevy Bolt and the cancelled the car. Let me apologize in advance fellow MME owners.
Itā€™s your fault!