mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
The 2022 Chevy Bolt and Bolt EUV were just announced.

I wanted to call out after things I with the MME had. (The MME is 1000x more desirable in my mind, but there are some things I like in these new models.)

1. The shifter is push button. This makes a lot more sense to me, as the drive and reverse buttons are always in the same place.

2. A button to turn 1 pedal driving on/off. A real physical button.

3. Chevy is going to install an outlet or charger in your home/garage. Included in the price of the car. They are using Qmerit.

"GM said it will cover the cost for eligible purchasers to install home charging stations."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...t-electric-chapter-new-pair-bolts/6743181002/
Sponsored

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

I wanted to call out after things I with the MME had. (The MME is 1000x more desirable in my mind, but there are some things I like in these new models.)

1. The shifter is push button. This makes a lot more sense to me, as the drive and reverse buttons are always in the same place.

3. Chevy is going to install an outlet or charger in your home/garage. Included in the price of the car. They are using Qmerit.

"GM said it will cover the cost for eligible purchasers to install home charging stations."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...t-electric-chapter-new-pair-bolts/6743181002/
The charger installation coverage sounds fantastic for most people. I'm sure there are severe limitations.

The MME does have a 1-pedal drive physical button, sorta. The "L" (low) button on the shift dial basically just turns it on as an override, but I don't know if "L" will completely stop and hold the car like one pedal drive will.

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
I have a Bolt and agree with you on the 1 pedal button. I LOVE the ease in switching between one pedal, and the regen paddle, on my Bolt... especially because my partner hates 1 pedal due to motion sickness so I am not allowed to use it at all when we're both in the car. But when I'm alone I turn it on, so we do a LOT of switching back and forth between the two modes. The Bolt makes that super easy. While it's only 2 taps on the MME screen to change 1 pedal, it does require looking at the screen and it's more work than it should be.

Where I disagree with you is on the buttons for drive modes. My last car was an I-Pace with separate buttons for PRN and D and I always had to look down to find the R when backing out of the garage, then I'd be out in the road trying to get into Drive and looking down again to find D, stressed out if there was a vehicle that slowed down to wait for me. Then looking down again whenever I needed to park. Rinse repeat. The entire time I had it I never got used to where the buttons were by feel... always had to look. It was very frustrating. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw this new Bolt. Wouldn't be a deal breaker if I really wanted one, but it would definitely be an annoyance to me. The MME isn't quite as bad, because at least I can turn the knob without looking down and see the gear on the guage cluster screen to know which one is selected.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
OK Chevy, you got me with the ad. Chevy + Disney. If they get a new tax credit passed good competitor the ID4?

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
A good looking update, with very aggressive pricing. If the feds return the tax credit to GM, this will be an astonishing value.

But with 50 kW maximum DCFC I still can't buy one.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
A good looking update, with very aggressive pricing. If the feds return the tax credit to GM, this will be an astonishing value.

But with 50 kW maximum DCFC I still can't buy one.
I have not yet looked at stats. So they did not up the DCFC rate? So basically an around town car that no one would ever want to drive to Disney unless they lived in Orlando.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag

Personally, I couldn't care less about #1 and #2. However, their are indicators of a more traditional dashboard. For many people that's a plus. I'm wondering about #3. My first assumption is that they caver installing a 240V. My first assumption is that will make use of the "Dual Level Charge Cord". But then it is referred to as "the new available". Usually when automaker propaganda refers to something as "available", it's an extra cost option. It also says "Dual Level Charge Cord for Bolt EV available late Summer 2021", meaning a couple of months after the car.

I do like the idea of ass-chilling seats. I would also like to see "Rear Camera Mirror" in action.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Hmm. Including the charger installation in the car cost... will they have a delete with a cost drop if you already have a charger, or two?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Oh man it looks to me that they just glommed a Cadillac front end on it.

I was hoping for a bit more (and bigger).

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Aggressive pricing from what I see. Sure not in MAch-E price category, but this is going right after Kona/Niro and anyone who doesn't want to pay extra for Tesla. Ev for the masses is coming.

As I Volt owner I would have no issues buying this. GMs battery management is second to none. They have been at it longer than Tesla.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Holy Cr@p! The Schuykill Expressway is one of the SuperCruise roads?! If Ford follows suit with their hands-free system later this year, about 20 of my 23 mile commute to work (each way) could be hands-free! ?

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Charging speed Charging speed Charging speed is the only real thing wrong with the Bolt. I’m amazed that it still doesn’t even hit 1C.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Personally, I couldn't care less about #1 and #2. However, their are indicators of a more traditional dashboard. For many people that's a plus. I'm wondering about #3. My first assumption is that they caver installing a 240V. My first assumption is that will make use of the "Dual Level Charge Cord". But then it is referred to as "the new available". Usually when automaker propaganda refers to something as "available", it's an extra cost option. It also says "Dual Level Charge Cord for Bolt EV available late Summer 2021", meaning a couple of months after the car.

I do like the idea of ass-chilling seats. I would also like to see "Rear Camera Mirror" in action.
I had a Bolt before my Mach-E. I really, really, really miss the rear camera mirror from the Bolt. It gave a wide and totally unobstructed view of the rear. I feel like I am driving half blind when driving a car that does not have it. This is the only downgrade for me switching to the Mach-E.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
Where I disagree with you is on the buttons for drive modes. My last car was an I-Pace with separate buttons for PRN and D and I always had to look down to find the R when backing out of the garage, then I'd be out in the road trying to get into Drive and looking down again to find D, stressed out if there was a vehicle that slowed down to wait for me. Then looking down again whenever I needed to park. Rinse repeat. The entire time I had it I never got used to where the buttons were by feel... always had to look. It was very frustrating. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw this new Bolt. Wouldn't be a deal breaker if I really wanted one, but it would definitely be an annoyance to me. The MME isn't quite as bad, because at least I can turn the knob without looking down and see the gear on the guage cluster screen to know which one is selected.

This design is not like the Jaguar, it's more like the Honda design where the buttons have shape and placement. See picture below. I don't know if you pull to go into reverse, but that's how Honda defined their buttons.

https://cleantechnica.com/files/2021/02/2022-Chevrolet-BoltEV-017.jpg

Honda buttons, put thumb on D and hook fingers on R.

https://blogmedia.dealerfire.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/818/2019/06/MERH-mid1-0612_o.jpg

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag

Good options for low cost, local vehicles with 250+ range. But they are the last of this platform, since the Ultium platform will be much better. The Super cruise option is $2200 plus On Star fees, what I read.
Sponsored