Charging/Driving experience without a cell phone?

nicholas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select AWD Standard Range
Country flag
Hey Everyone,

Brand new to the community here, and brand new to the world of EVs as well! I have had my Mach-E for about a month now, and I'm loving it.
I don't have a cell phone (I know, crazy) so I have just been using the dongle as a key, and charging overnight on my 240v outlet in the garage.

My question: Can I use public charging stations (FordPass, EA, etc) without a cell phone? Do they all require the use of a phone with an app installed, or can I just drive up and pay with a credit card like a gas station?

Are there any other huge features I will be missing without having a cell phone? I'm not really concerned with PaaK...

I have already learned so much from this community, and I look forward to any insight you all have!
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Hey Everyone,

Brand new to the community here, and brand new to the world of EVs as well! I have had my Mach-E for about a month now, and I'm loving it.
I don't have a cell phone (I know, crazy) so I have just been using the dongle as a key, and charging overnight on my 240v outlet in the garage.

My question: Can I use public charging stations (FordPass, EA, etc) without a cell phone? Do they all require the use of a phone with an app installed, or can I just drive up and pay with a credit card like a gas station?

Are there any other huge features I will be missing without having a cell phone? I'm not really concerned with PaaK...

I have already learned so much from this community, and I look forward to any insight you all have!
Yes, you can charge at many chargers with a credit card. You will not be able to sign up for discounted member rates with EA or others. I'm not sure if you will be able to set up FordPass Plug & Charge. If you have a family member with a cell phone, you can probably let them set up P&C and then the car will do the rest without a smart phone.

Unfortunately, there are some public charging systems that don't have credit card options.

Endokendal

First Name
Kendal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FE Mach E, 2018 Mustang GT 6-Speed
Country flag
I did not know it was possible to live without a cell phone these days… mighty impressive.

Last edited:

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
I think you can in general, there are touch screens, buttons, RFID cards. But there can always be situations when something goes wrong and the app is the way to solve the problem. Also you may need sometimes to make a call to resolve a problem with a malfunctioning charger.
Sponsored