Commute uses ~40-45% of battery. What is the best way to charge?

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
80 to 90 percent nightly
Jes sayin. Toss in an Indica joint or pre-roll and stop worrying about it as well…...🔥 🧚🏻‍♀️🧚🧞‍♀️❤

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
But if you're like me and want to charge ONLY during off-peak hours for maximum $$$ savings, wouldn't it immediately charging to 40% as soon as plugged in be a bad thing?
Or is it a setting you can turn on/off?
In Fordpass under Vehicle\Charge Setting\Preferred Charge Times you can set your home location you can set perfered times. I don't have tiered charging so I don't have mine set but here is what it looks like. (See below)

I used it once and when you plug it in it didn't charge until the preferred time. FordPass listed charging as paused.

IMG_6701.jpg

IMG_6702.PNG

OP
OP
StillWaitingForMachE

StillWaitingForMachE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 IBSM ER AWD California Rt 1 MME (Mike-E)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
In Fordpass under Vehicle\Charge Setting\Preferred Charge Times you can set your home location you can set perfered times. I don't have tiered charging so I don't have mine set but here is what it looks like. (See below)

I used it once and when you plug it in it didn't charge until the preferred time. FordPass listed charging as paused.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Commute uses ~40-45% of battery. What is the best way to charge? IMG_6702.PNG

Ford Mustang Mach-E Commute uses ~40-45% of battery. What is the best way to charge? IMG_6702.PNG
I know. This is what I do. I was commenting on my (mistaken) impression that the Bolt would immediately charge to 40% no matter what, and then only after that would follow your preferred charging times.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium ER Mach E, '21 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
But if you're like me and want to charge ONLY during off-peak hours for maximum $$$ savings, wouldn't it immediately charging to 40% as soon as plugged in be a bad thing?
Or is it a setting you can turn on/off?
My mega off-peak hours are 12a-6a so I have same goal as you as far as this. You can set this in Fordpass/car, or on the EVSE if it allows. For now I'm doing it in Fordpass so that the EVSE is always available in case we want to precondition the car ever. If I did it in the EVSE, and the car wants to precondition, it will choke because the EVSE has cut power.

When using Fordpass scheduling, what I finally figured out (with some clues from this forum) is that if you immediately plug in, say in the afternoon, the car will do a calculation. It figures out what the EVSE will supply automatically, looks at your goal SOC% is versus current SOC%, and back calculates how many hours it will take to get there.

Here is my particular setup:
  • 12a-6a window allowed in Fordpass
  • Target = 90%
  • My garage setup charges ~10%/hour
Example1 - my set window has enough time:
  • Pull in to garage at 60%, immediately plug in at 3pm
  • Car calculates that it needs to charge 90-60=30%
  • It knows my setup can do 10%/hour, figures out it takes 3 hours
  • It will start charging at midnight and finish 3am
Example2 - my set window does not have enough time:
  • Pull in to garage at 10%, immediately plug in at 3pm
  • Car calculates it needs to charge 90-10=80%
  • It knows my setup will take 8 hours
  • It will start charging at 6am minus 8 hours, or 10pm. It had to start before my window because it thinks hitting 90% is higher priority than only charging during my window.
If someone has a setup that is only using a 6kW charger, or even worse, a Level1, the car may calculate that it can't hit your target SOC% by the cutoff time, and will start charging immediately! This is what mine did my first month of only having an L1 capability in my garage. I was going nuts until finding a post or two mentioning how it works.

snowy_91

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Ice Blue GT Performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I plug in every night and charge to 95%, I really don't put much thought into it.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Charge to 90% because every now and then the car will decide it doesn’t want to charge that night or will start charging late lol.
although, I haven’t noticed it lately. Maybe ford finally fixed that bug.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
You’re thinking about it too much, enjoy the car, use the battery, you’ll be good.
Sponsored