highmesa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 BMW i4 xDrive40
Country flag
We will be driving from Albuquerque to Tucson next weekend. My wife is really wanting me to drive the mach-e because gas prices and the age of her Q5. The challenge is completing the first leg from Albucracky to Deming, a haul of 250 miles. If I do the math (250 mi/88 kwh = 2.84 mi per kwh) it seems doable, but ABRP says I should drive at 55 mph the whole way and I don't know if that is in my DNA. Temperatures should run from the 50s to the 70s. I can charge to 100% and pre-condition at home to start.

I have averaged 3.3 mi/kwh over the life of the vehicle, with ~ 70% of that being highway driving and so I *think* I can do this. On the downside, there will be luggage and a passenger. Then, per plugshare, there are only a couple level2 charges along the route if we get in trouble (a 13kw at a Best Western in Soccoro and a 7kw Chargepoint at a state park). Other than that I'd be trying to hit RV parks/campgrounds.

What say you? Should I try this? Or tell the wife we have to take the Audi?

Has anyone made this trip?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Crossing the Charging Desert (NM) Screenshot (3)
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
yet again I find myself saying that Socorro really needs a charging location.

I haven't done this in my Mach-E, but I used to live in Socorro... you probably know this, but if you attempt to do 55 MPH on I-25, you're going to get run over. It won't be safe, realistically, to go that slow on there.

ABRP offered an alternative that adds an hour out of your way, through Carrizozo, but gets you to Deming okay as a result: ABRP (abetterrouteplanner.com) If it were me, I'd probably plan on doing that.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
What about going west on I-40 to I-17 to I-10. I'm sure it would be a few hours longer but looks like there are more DCFC's on that route--according to plugshare.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
What about going west on I-40 to I-17 to I-10. I'm sure it would be a few hours longer but looks like there are more DCFC's on that route--according to plugshare.
this was my first thought as well, but ABRP didn't seem to think it was a good idea.

however, checking PlugShare is a very good idea. ?

OP
OP

highmesa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 BMW i4 xDrive40
Country flag
I've kind of looked at alternatives, but it's already adding about 2 hours to the trip compared to an ICE. Going to Carrizozo adds another hour. Going through Flagstaff adds even more. Just not worth it.

Francis (same company as Carrizozo) is going to put in a DCFC in T or C, but it's not there yet.

We would be coming back from Scottsdale through Winslow and then I-40 so that's not a problem.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
just out of curiosity, what does the built-in navigation system think? What chargers did it recommend.

OP
OP

highmesa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 BMW i4 xDrive40
Country flag
just out of curiosity, what does the built-in navigation system think? What chargers did it recommend.
That's a good point. I haven't looked but I'll plug the trip in today. I've just been using ABRP and Plugshare on my laptop.

OP
OP

highmesa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 BMW i4 xDrive40
Country flag
Both the Ford Nav and ABRP want me to hit the level2 Chargepoint (6.6 KW) at Caballo State Park. I'm going to keep that in my pocket as a backup.

There is a non-networked level 2 at the Best Western in Socorro that I think may be faster. I probably only need to add 20 miles of range to be safe.

Last resort is hitting one of several RV parks with 14-50 plugs.

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
Both the Ford Nav and ABRP want me to hit the level2 Chargepoint (6.6 KW) at Caballo State Park. I'm going to keep that in my pocket as a backup.

There is a non-networked level 2 at the Best Western in Socorro that I think may be faster. I probably only need to add 20 miles of range to be safe.

Last resort is hitting one of several RV parks with 14-50 plugs.
So, how do RV parks handle charging requests? If there is a space open do they rent it out by the hour, or let you use it for free?

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Check the weather for winds...

We did the crossing of another desert (Mojave) from Needles to Barstow last weekend. It's 150 miles between charging stations, and we made the mistake of only charging to 80% in Needles. We hit 30-45 mph headwinds, which brought our trip average down to about 1.5 Mi/kWh (our total trip average was about 4.4 Mi/kWh at the end of the trip). We had to drive at about 60 mph during the last 90+ miles and were down to 17% charge when we pulled into the charger in Barstow.

Next time we'll charge to 85% in Needles. We'll also plan for slower speeds the entire distance (probably 65 or 70 instead of starting at the speed of traffic). We may also need to time our travel to avoid the afternoon winds.

OP
OP

highmesa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 BMW i4 xDrive40
Country flag
So, how do RV parks handle charging requests? If there is a space open do they rent it out by the hour, or let you use it for free?
I don't know, but hopefully I never have to find out.

Actually though, if you look at reviews on Plugshare, you can see which parks people have experience with. They're all different.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Why do you believe ABRP? For my CA Route 1 I have to put in a reference consumption of 3.7mile/kwh to get it to provide accurate numbers. I just drove mine at 75mph Phoenix to Tucson (153 mile trip) and only used 49% of my battery, getting 3.5 mile/kwh. The Ford nav told me I would arrive with 44% and ABRP told me I would arrive with 30%.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
You wouldn't have to go to Flagstaff. You could turn south in Winslow. This would make your total drive about an hour longer but might make it less stressful.

OP
OP

highmesa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 BMW i4 xDrive40
Country flag
Why do you believe ABRP?
It's not that I believe them. I can do the maths. If I can average 3mi/kwh, I think I'll be fine. But, that will depend on temps, wind, and the fact that I have luggage and a spouse on board. I've averaged 3.3 over the 5k miles I've driven.
Sponsored