Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Ford Fusion Energi
Occupation
Boeing researcher
Country flag
I got a call from the dealer that my carbonized gray RWD STD battery is ready for pickup.
Just curious if I bought it, and in a year I wonder how much of a loss I would take.
I have a Cybertruck deposit and close to the front of the line and when that's ready hopefully beginning of next year, I'd be able to sell the Ford since I can't afford two.
Or just not buy it and wait until the truck is ready. I have a older Fusion Energi (with 50% battery range gone) but still only uses a gallon of gas a day for my 70 mile work commute. So I wouldn't be saving much on commute money if I got the Mach E.
But if I wouldn't lose too much by selling it in a year, I may buy it.
Besides the federal rebate, I also get a $2,500 friend of employee discount.
Just looking for advice,
Thanks
Sponsored

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
No way to really know. You can get an idea of what Ford thinks by spec'ing out your model and then run through the Ford Options calculator and it will tell you what essentially the residual value Ford is assigning at this point. A Standard RWD Select with 10.5k miles per year will have a residual value of 19,357.80 after 36 months according to Ford. That's longer than the timeframe you're looking at, of course so the value will definitely be higher

If it's in good shape, you can expect to keep a decent amount of value in it, but only you would know how much of a hit you're willing to take. The $7500 federal tax credit is a big, big help here but also keep in mind a buyer of a used one won't get that credit so until Ford exhausts that, you're basically at a $7500 disadvantage vs. a new one in the used car market, so as long as Ford qualifies for the tax rebate resale values are probably not going to be as good as you hope

Honestly, if you're looking to get into a Cybertruck in a year, buying a Mach E might not be the best idea. Although, I did just trade in a two year old Model 3 for my Mach E, I wasn't really planning on it going into the Model 3 purchase, and Teslas have extremely good resale and trade values right now so it wasn't that bad

On the other hand, expecting the Cybertruck to actually launch at the beginning of next year is probably optimistic. The Tesla Roadster was supposed to ship this year, and it slipped. The Semi was supposed to ship already and has slipped, and the factory where they plan to build the Cybertruck isn't done. So, you might be looking at two or three years before the Cybertruck is ready

OP
OP

Jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Ford Fusion Energi
Occupation
Boeing researcher
Country flag
No way to really know. You can get an idea of what Ford thinks by spec'ing out your model and then run through the Ford Options calculator and it will tell you what essentially the residual value Ford is assigning at this point. A Standard RWD Select with 10.5k miles per year will have a residual value of 19,357.80 after 36 months according to Ford. That's longer than the timeframe you're looking at, of course so the value will definitely be higher

If it's in good shape, you can expect to keep a decent amount of value in it, but only you would know how much of a hit you're willing to take. The $7500 federal tax credit is a big, big help here but also keep in mind a buyer of a used one won't get that credit so until Ford exhausts that, you're basically at a $7500 disadvantage vs. a new one in the used car market, so as long as Ford qualifies for the tax rebate resale values are probably not going to be as good as you hope

Honestly, if you're looking to get into a Cybertruck in a year, buying a Mach E might not be the best idea. Although, I did just trade in a two year old Model 3 for my Mach E, I wasn't really planning on it going into the Model 3 purchase, and Teslas have extremely good resale and trade values right now so it wasn't that bad

On the other hand, expecting the Cybertruck to actually launch at the beginning of next year is probably optimistic. The Tesla Roadster was supposed to ship this year, and it slipped. The Semi was supposed to ship already and has slipped, and the factory where they plan to build the Cybertruck isn't done. So, you might be looking at two or three years before the Cybertruck is ready
Thank you, and yes I’m a year they’re will be plenty of new inventory and someone would automatically get the $7,500 off on their taxes.
If my turn for the Cybertruck isn’t for a few more years, I just hope my car lasts that long. It still looks and runs like new (except the horrible HV battery)
I would just love to have all electric, plus I have solar too so that helps too.
Decisions decisions.
Thank you
Sponsored