Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 2WD ER, 2022 MINI Cooper S EV
Occupation
Industrial network architect
Country flag
Wondering if I could have done this differently?

The other morning I went to tope the lift gate and I could not. Tried the PAAK, tried the fob, tried the control center button. No joy could not open the lift gate. And then I saw that the VIN based bluetooth connection was coming on and off on my phone. The Sync set bluetooth connection was coming on and off but not as frequently. The rear doors would not reliably open. The release level was PowerUp 6.1. The dealer had no room on their schedule. I needed to get the liftgate open.

So I did the following in this order on the settings screen in the car:
- reset the PAAK twice with no joy
- checked online incase the new apple iOS 17 update was the problem - was not
- then did a master reset to factory settings which took me back to release 4.1 - still no joy
- then I pulled the negative lead off the 12 volt battery and waited 30 seconds at least - happiness and joy followed as I could open the lift gate.

When I first drove the Mach-E after this every sensor and control alerted failure. Font collision, one-pedal, side warning, cruise control, so just about everything. Pulled over to the road side. Shut the car off waited 30 seconds and all is well.

Now that I am on PowerUP 4.1 no more 12 volt battery messages that came like gangbusters after PowerUp 6.1

Because I did the master reset I had to reconfigure the car, the phones to get it back to where it was.

I am not a systems programmer but this had all the earmarks of a memory leak.

Look forward to your thoughts.
Sponsored

Reactions: UW2

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag

The other morning I went to tope the lift gate and I could not. Tried the PAAK, tried the fob, tried the control center button. No joy could not open the lift gate. And then I saw that the VIN based bluetooth connection was coming on and off on my phone. The Sync set bluetooth connection was coming on and off but not as frequently. The rear doors would not reliably open. The release level was PowerUp 6.1. The dealer had no room on their schedule. I needed to get the liftgate open.

- then did a master reset to factory settings which took me back to release 4.1 - still no joy
- then I pulled the negative lead off the 12 volt battery and waited 30 seconds at least - happiness and joy followed as I could open the lift gate.

When I first drove the Mach-E after this every sensor and control alerted failure. Font collision, one-pedal, side warning, cruise control, so just about everything. Pulled over to the road side. Shut the car off waited 30 seconds and all is well.

Now that I am on PowerUP 4.1 no more 12 volt battery messages that came like gangbusters after PowerUp 6.1

Because I did the master reset I had to reconfigure the car, the phones to get it back to where it was.

Where is it saying power up 4.1? Disconnecting the 12v battery can't uninstall updates. 4.1 was SEVERAL updates ago, and if you had successfully installed 6.1, that software doesn't live inside your car anymore. Previous versions aren't kept around once an update completes.

If anything maybe you're just seeing incorrect release notes on the sync screen? Wouldn't be the first time THAT'S happened.

As far as your ACTUAL issue, my guess is a bad 12v battery. Bad 12v can cause all kinds of phantom electrical issues. The temperature dropped recently in Utah, very suddenly and I had 3 friends' 12v batteries all get killed as a result on the same day.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

Much of what you did was not necessary, and in the wrong order.

Since the tailgate would not open with the screen, did you try the button on tailgate?

If the screen control doesn't work, then rebooting the system holding the volume and right seek buttons down is the next step. PaaK would have nothing to do with it.

Pulling the lead off the battery, in general, is a bad idea. You likely experienced the after affects by all the error messages. Further, if an update was in process (which you could have no visibility to), you can brick a module and therefore the car.

Your conclusion of a memory leak is unlikely. And, as stated, 4.1 comes way before 6.1.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
If the regular fob didn’t work, something with the RFA or RGTM might have been messed up. Pulling fuses under the dash may have been another option.

Pulling the 12V terminal should not have resulted in any error messages afterwards (it should clear them). Either you didn’t leave it off long enough, it was bouncing around too much and making intermittent contact while tightening it, or your 12V battery is bad.

EDIT: It looks like you reported multiple 12V error messages, so you have some kind of drain or issue with your 12V battery. Ignoring that is going to cause you to have issues getting into your car, so you need to take care of this. Someone needs to test your 12V battery with a load tester ASAP.

OP
OP
crownmountain

crownmountain

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Where is it saying power up 4.1? Disconnecting the 12v battery can't uninstall updates. 4.1 was SEVERAL updates ago, and if you had successfully installed 6.1, that software doesn't live inside your car anymore. Previous versions aren't kept around once an update completes.

If anything maybe you're just seeing incorrect release notes on the sync screen? Wouldn't be the first time THAT'S happened.

As far as your ACTUAL issue, my guess is a bad 12v battery. Bad 12v can cause all kinds of phantom electrical issues. The temperature dropped recently in Utah, very suddenly and I had 3 friends' 12v batteries all get killed as a result on the same day.
Thank you.

I attached the VERPEEK OBDII ELM327 scanner. Accessory mode on the 12V is showing 12.1 volts and 51 to 55% SOC. According to some a reading of more than 50% SOC is OK. 90% would make me more comfortable. As for the HV batteries 32 months and 97% SoH.

The car is garaged and I expect the temp to be in the high 40's tonight.

I am going to attach a trickle charger and see where I end up.

OP
OP
crownmountain

crownmountain

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
If the regular fob didn’t work, something with the RFA or RGTM might have been messed up. Pulling fuses under the dash may have been another option.

Pulling the 12V terminal should not have resulted in any error messages afterwards (it should clear them). Either you didn’t leave it off long enough, it was bouncing around too much and making intermittent contact while tightening it, or your 12V battery is bad.

EDIT: It looks like you reported multiple 12V error messages, so you have some kind of drain or issue with your 12V battery. Ignoring that is going to cause you to have issues getting into your car, so you need to take care of this. Someone needs to test your 12V battery with a load tester ASAP.
Thank you. Will look to get the battery tested. Current SoC is 55% on the 12V.

OP
OP
crownmountain

crownmountain

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Update:

trickle charger took the state of charge up to 70%. I then put a larger 10 amp charger on there and left it on until it registered 0 AMPs of output. That took it up to 75% state of charge.

also, sync shows power up 4.1.2 and there does not seem to be any updates available at least yet
Sponsored