Does Disabling Reverse Brake Assist Disable Reverse Sensing?

QuinicAcid

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Durango, Subaru Outback
Occupation
Transportation
Country flag
We took a Mach E out for a test drive, and tried it in our driveway. Backing out of the driveway the car saw the road (we have a steep driveway) and the car automatically applied the brake. We tried this several times, and it did it every time.

This was kind of a deal breaker for us... we don't want a car that hard stops every time we try to leave the house. The dealer suggested we disable the feature. We didn't get a chance to try it out, but it may work. However, we do not want to disable all of the other reverse sensing system.

So, my question is (for anyone that can test this), if we disable the reverse braking assist does that also disable all the warnings that the reverse sensing system provides?
Sponsored

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
We took a Mach E out for a test drive, and tried it in our driveway. Backing out of the driveway the car saw the road (we have a steep driveway) and the car automatically applied the brake. We tried this several times, and it did it every time.

This was kind of a deal breaker for us... we don't want a car that hard stops every time we try to leave the house. The dealer suggested we disable the feature. We didn't get a chance to try it out, but it may work. However, we do not want to disable all of the other reverse sensing system.

So, my question is (for anyone that can test this), if we disable the reverse braking assist does that also disable all the warnings that the reverse sensing system provides?
Similar problem for me with my drive....

Suggest....disable one-pedal driving if enabled. This will allow the car to 'coast' down the driveway more easily. Less hurky-jerky motion as you are reversing.

Then, although this may sound counter-intuitive, as you keep speeds low accelerate through the car's attempt to auto brake.

When the car warns you it wants to brake, applying acceleration will indicate to the car you are in control and want to continue backing. Too fast though and the car will apply firm braking.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Turning off Reverse Braking Assist just stops it from automatically braking when it sees an obstacle while in reverse. It does not disable the warning sensors unless you also turn off Rear Parking Aid.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Reverse brake assist can be disabled independently. Parking aid (sensor and audible tone) and cross traffic alert will continue to function.

On the other hand, if you disable parking aid or cross traffic alert, reverse brake assist will be unavailable.
Sponsored