Hgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue MME XR RWD
Occupation
Professional Mom
Country flag
My Mach-e, Premium ER RWD, just arrived yesterday. The dealer called it a ghost! LOL

Looking to make a short trip to Payson on Sunday for lunch. At 100% charge, the range is about 220 miles. With the AZ heat and the significant elevation, I am trying to decide if the trip is double. There is not much in the way of charging options. I suspect regen on the way down will give of more SOC/range. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
My Mach-e just arrived yesterday. The dealer called it a ghost! LOL

Looking to make a short trip to Payson on Sunday for lunch. At 100% charge, the range is about 220 miles. With the AZ heat and the significant elevation, I am trying to decide if the trip is double. There is not much in the way of charging options. I suspect regen on the way down will give of more SOC/range. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!
I'd not do that trip in a standard range Mach-E until they build a fast charging option in Payson.

It's likely doable, but you'll be cutting it close and there are no charging options en route once you leave this area.

Here's a sample plan from A Better Route Planner. Looks doable for sure... I just don't like that there aren't backup charging options should you end up needing one.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com?plan_uuid=16002812-feb2-4694-904f-519f2d17a7c0

APS is working with Electrify America to build a station in Payson. I don't think it's open yet. But when that becomes available this will become an EASY trip for sure.

https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/127

OP
OP
Hgray

Hgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Mom
Country flag
I'd not do that trip in a standard range Mach-E until they build a fast charging option in Payson.

It's likely doable, but you'll be cutting it close and there are no charging options en route once you leave this area.

Here's a sample plan from A Better Route Planner. Looks doable for sure... I just don't like that there aren't backup charging options should you end up needing one.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com?plan_uuid=16002812-feb2-4694-904f-51Than9f2d17a7c0

APS is working with Electrify America to build a station in Payson. I don't think it's open yet. But when that becomes available this will become an EASY trip for sure.

https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/127
I should have specified I have Premium ER RWD. I just got the car last night. The battery when charged to 100% is only showing 220 miles @ 100%. I know that the range will increase the more miles I drive. I looked at the charging options and saw they are slim in Payson.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I should have specified I have Premium ER RWD. I just got the car last night. The battery when charged to 100% is only showing 220 miles @ 100%. I know that the range will increase the more miles I drive. I looked at the charging options and saw they are slim in Payson.
Oh! I thought you meant a standard range.

Yeah I think in your ER you'll be just fine for this trip.

OP
OP
Hgray

Hgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Mom
Country flag
Oh yeah one other thing ... Congrats on your new vehicle? I seem to recall you'd ordered through LHM in Mesa? How did everything go? Did you post photos of the vehicle anywhere yet?
Greg, the New Car Director, was totally awesome!! Great to work with, extremely patient about my multiple delivery inquiries!! I was looking at the Ford Options. They were not familiar with it. I worked with them for 4 hours to see what the pricing looked like. We decided on traditional financing. They thanked me for being their Ford Options guinea pig. LOL It arrived about 1 pm and I drove it off the lot by 7 pm. They accepted x plan as well. There was no BS and no pressure for any add ons either.

I have not posted pics yet but I will soon. Thanks for asking!

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Greg, the New Car Director, was totally awesome!! Great to work with, extremely patient about my multiple delivery inquiries!! I was looking at the Ford Options. They were not familiar with it. I worked with them for 4 hours to see what the pricing looked like. We decided on traditional financing. They thanked me for being their Ford Options guinea pig. LOL It arrived about 1 pm and I drove it off the lot by 7 pm. They accepted x plan as well. There was no BS and no pressure for any add ons either.

I have not posted pics yet but I will soon. Thanks for asking!
6 hours! You all must have been exhausted. I'm glad everything worked out well with no pressure and plenty of patience, though.

OP
OP
Hgray

Hgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Mom
Country flag
Oh! I thought you meant a standard range.

Yeah I think in your ER you'll be just fine for this trip.
Thanks for the vote to go! This is my first EV and want to drive it. But with the range at only 220 miles, I was not feeling confident consider the environment conditions of elevation and summer time temps.

OP
OP
Hgray

Hgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Mom
Country flag
Honestly, it was not bad. The finance guys had to reach out to Ford to figure out how to interface with one of their systems. I did not spend time haggling at all. Plus being a stay at home mom, I have time on my hands. I learned a lot about the process as well. I can tell you Ford has not sent out any training information on the Ford Options at all. The Ford Options Estimation Tool has default percents of 5 and 6% for the 3 and 4 year terms. Once I showed them, the 2.25%, they corrected that.

THen I went home for an hour and half for dinner. When husband came home from work, we went up and was in and out in under 45 minutes. A very easy deal!

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Thanks for the vote to go! This is my first EV and want to drive it. But with the range at only 220 miles, I was not feeling confident consider the environment conditions of elevation and summer time temps.
Yeah you're gonna have a blast. The drives through the mountains should be a lot of fun.

220 miles is a wildly conservative guess on your vehicle's range guessometer. Especially because you have nearly zero driving history on it. You could reset the driving history in the vehicle's settings page in the car, or just drive and over time it will become a better guestimate. (But always a guess. The car doesn't know your next move so it will remain conservative.)

To get a better feel for range, use the in-car navigation system to plot a route to Payson. When the car knows where you're going, it can give a better estimate.

The finance guys had to reach out to Ford to figure out how to interface with one of their systems.

I can tell you Ford has not sent out any training information on the Ford Options at all. The Ford Options Estimation Tool has default percents of 5 and 6% for the 3 and 4 year terms. Once I showed them, the 2.25%, they corrected that.
I think it's more likely that the finance guys aren't paying attention to all the training and guidance that they've been provided. Or they are overwhelmed. Or they are new (dealerships have high turnover). AFAIK, Ford Credit has put out various educational bulletins and guidebooks for the finance departments to use, and they have top level hyperlinks to get info on demand, plus they have regional contacts from Ford Credit that they're supposed to call for support. (It sounds like the crew you worked with did end up needing to call.)

The Options estimation tool probably has 5 or 6% as defaults since those are reasonable, high starting values... It's better to throw out numbers that are a bit too high and then be pleasantly surprised when the actual monthly payments are lower.

Also, actual rates vary based on credit worthiness scores. If you got 2.25%, it means you are in one of Ford's top tiers for credit worthiness. But other customers might not be.

Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Escape, 22 Mach-E, Premium, RWD, LR, Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Picked up new MachE from Chapman Ford with 312 miles indicated at 100% charge and drove home. Left this am for Payson showing 280 miles remaining. I drove to Payson and did a few demos around former neighborhood then returned to Fountain Hills. Remaining range was 115 miles.
I did not use one pedal driving on the way up but did engage it on the way home. I never touched the brake pedal on the return trip. It is a game using one pedal driving and it is cool.

Fins160

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE Select C/T Dark Matter Gray
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Bumping an old thread, but completed my first couple trips to Christopher Creek (30mi east of Payson) this winter. On my RWD Select SR, I burned about 60% of my battery on the way up and 40% on the way down. 1PD is a must to take advantage of all those hills to regen! Temps in that area were in the 30s, I expect it to be better in the summer. I charged on 120 overnight up there, so I had enough range, but would have been close without that.

Just going to Payson and back on a SR should be fine. The DCFC in Payson is now up and running, so there's a great option as well.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Bumping an old thread, but completed my first couple trips to Christopher Creek (30mi east of Payson) this winter. On my RWD Select SR, I burned about 60% of my battery on the way up and 40% on the way down. 1PD is a must to take advantage of all those hills to regen! Temps in that area were in the 30s, I expect it to be better in the summer. I charged on 120 overnight up there, so I had enough range, but would have been close without that.

Just going to Payson and back on a SR should be fine. The DCFC in Payson is now up and running, so there's a great option as well.
Awesome!

I do want to note that the Mach-E has blended braking, so you'll benefit from Regen regardless of whether 1PD is enabled.

Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Escape, 22 Mach-E, Premium, RWD, LR, Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Have made three trips to Payson in my ER Mache. On the first two I did not recharge as there was noway to do that. Still I hade no problem with range. The last trip I had some extra time and went to the ElectrifyAmerica station to add miles. I plugged in to one of the four chargers and waited a few seconds. The charger recognized my car and proceeded to add 37 KW. took about 30 mintues to bring me back up to 90%, 80% took about 20 minutes. Things could not have been any smoother. this was my first free charge from Ford. Ford sent email receipt showing my balance.
All other charging was done at home.
Sponsored