Estimate cost to repair

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
I had it looked at by two different shops, one with decent reviews on google offered to do the repair, albeit with no records cash only for $1,200. Another said go to insurance and move on... and their quote was $4,450 (incl $1k to replace tail light) before the cost to reprogram the sensors which once unplugged have to happen (according to them) and that cost is likely to cost another ~$2k... what an expensive little mistake lol

Never do insurance claim!
Try to use brake fluid to wipe the area, see what's left, then after, decide from there.
maybe go with the $1200 guy.
Don't do insurance claim and do not use a shop who reports damage.

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
I had it looked at by two different shops, one with decent reviews on google offered to do the repair, albeit with no records cash only for $1,200. Another said go to insurance and move on... and their quote was $4,450 (incl $1k to replace tail light) before the cost to reprogram the sensors which once unplugged have to happen (according to them) and that cost is likely to cost another ~$2k... what an expensive little mistake lol
Wonder why they want you to go through insurance, ah yes, 6 times the price😳 I paid for my little mistake at fraction of price of “insurance repair” not far outside policy excess and saving loss in no claims bonus.

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
Never do insurance claim!
Try to use brake fluid to wipe the area, see what's left, then after, decide from there.
maybe go with the $1200 guy.
Don't do insurance claim and do not use a shop who reports damage.
Nooooooo, not brake fluid! It lifts paint. I’d go with the $1200 garage if their reviews are good. I work as motor insurance assessor and once garage agrees to what they need to do they often do what they like in my experience. Blending new paint colour onto adjacent panels is case in point, they’ll always tell you “oooooh, you can never get a good edge to edge colour match without blending” and yet I’ve had Ruby black Outlander and my metallic red ‘Stang painted edge to edge because good painters should be good colour matchers added to which the smoke & mirrors approach to programming modules etc is VERY profitable. We pay for all this on our insurance premiums.

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
Nooooooo, not brake fluid! It lifts paint. I’d go with the $1200 garage if their reviews are good. I work as motor insurance assessor and once garage agrees to what they need to do they often do what they like in my experience. Blending new paint colour onto adjacent panels is case in point, they’ll always tell you “oooooh, you can never get a good edge to edge colour match without blending” and yet I’ve had Ruby black Outlander and my metallic red ‘Stang painted edge to edge because good painters should be good colour matchers added to which the smoke & mirrors approach to programming modules etc is VERY profitable. We pay for all this on our insurance premiums.

I've used brake fluid many many times, it lifts bad nonfactory paint jobs, if it's factory, you should be fine.

thumperr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
96 Probe, 2002 Explorer XLT, 2019 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
I've used brake fluid many many times, it lifts bad nonfactory paint jobs, if it's factory, you should be fine.
a good rubbing compound, and see what you got.
Sponsored