Extended warranty.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
I was so surprised when my Toyota had a problem to fix and the service dealer told me they would charge the warranty company X $ and would charge me X + 500$ as they had rate negotiated with warranty company.
Is this with a warranty? What kind of warranty?
Sponsored

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Thank you for such comprehensive input.I appreciate your detailed points you have made.

However it Doesnot mention main parts of EV like electric motor, Media control unit, internal charger, autonomy driving sensors just to name a few. The main battery is covered for only 100000 but what after that. This warranty Doesnot cover for that.

It just says it includes Unique Hybrid/Electric Vehicle Components (Excluding High-Voltage Battery and Cables)

Sorry but I am not sold . Many of us definitely buy extended warranty and right now we elated by a new car and not focused on such an important issue. Especially all EV will need to be serviced and repaired at dealer and not at any blow joe garage.

Dealers will charge exorbant amount after warranty period if a part is not covered.

I was so surprised when my Toyota had a problem to fix and the service dealer told me they would charge the warranty company X $ and would charge me X + 500$ as they had rate negotiated with warranty company.
Sounds like the extended warranty on your Toyota was a third party warranty. The same think could happen if you buy a third party warranty for the Mach-E. I agree with ab13's comment that the Ford ESP is an exclusionary warranty. You are right that the HVB would not be covered beyond the factory warranty if you buy the Ford ESP, since that is listed as an exclusion.

Here is the full list of "other components and repairs" not covered by the Ford ESP plan: Buttons, carpet, clamps, dash pad, door and window handles, knobs, trim, upholstery, CNG/LPG components, tires, water leaks, wind noise, weatherstrips, fabric, liners, zippers and fasteners. This is in addition to the maintenance items not covered on any car such as filters, disc rotors, and shocks and items typically covered by auto insurance such as broken glass and mirrors. I guess what you are saying is that you do not trust that Ford's ESP coverage for the Mach-E is what they say it is. If that is the case, you should probably either buy a third party plan like you appear to have done for your Toyota or self-"insure."

Last edited:
OP
OP

Prashantsukhs

Banned
Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
not to be too blunt but if you're not sold, don't buy it. we're not forcing you to. ;)

I will say that third-party warranties are a giant pain in the ass compared to a manufacturer's plan assuming you're using dealers for service. The dealers do all the paperwork and you just pay the deductible (if one). It's basically magic.

but if you don't believe what we tell you about what the paperwork says, or you read the paperwork and read it differently, don't spend the money. It's your money. :)

The point is not ā€œ donā€™t buy it if not soldā€ .

we are trying to share info if there is a better warranty product if needed. I am just trying to get any information if someone knows .

OP
OP

Prashantsukhs

Banned
Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
It was a platinum plan 8 year / 100,000 mile plan purchased at the Time of new vehicle purchase from Fedility. Luckily it was covered .

OP
OP

Prashantsukhs

Banned
Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
Sounds like the extended warranty on your Toyota was a third party warranty. The same thing could happen if you buy a third party warranty for the Mach-E. I agree with ab13's comment that the Ford ESP is an exclusionary warranty. You are right that the HVB would not be covered beyond the factory warranty if you buy the For ESP, since that if that is listed as an exclusion.

Here is the full list of "other components and repairs" not covered by the Ford ESP plan: Buttons, carpet, clamps, dash pad, door and window handles, knobs, trim, upholstery, CNG/LPG components, tires, water leaks, wind noise, weatherstrips, fabric, liners, zippers and fasteners. This is in addition to the maintenance items not covered on any car such as filters, disc rotors, and shocks and items typically covered by auto insurance such as broken glass and mirrors. I guess what you are saying is that you do not trust that Ford's ESP coverage for the Mach-E is what they say it is. If that is the case, you should probably either buy a third party plan like you appear to have done for your Toyota or self-"insure."

My beef with this product is that it Doesnot state clearly what parts of EV are covered . Being an EV , their inclusion of ICE part in the contract is automatically excluded.

When something happens after warranty, nobody will honor whatā€™s not written in contract.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
It was a platinum plan 8 year / 100,000 mile plan purchased at the Time of new vehicle purchase from Fedility. Luckily it was covered .
In this case you got a non Toyota warranty. You always have to watch the fine print. Was it a non deductible warranty? Or was the $500 the normal payment deductible for a claim?

Your other options are vehicle breakdown coverage through your car insurance company that you pay with the insurance payment. This method you pay only when you are paying insurance, not paying for the entire coverage, but there may be more exclusions. However, apparently it cost less.

OP
OP

Prashantsukhs

Banned
Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
In this case you got a non Toyota warranty. You always have to watch the fine print. Was it a non deductible warranty? Or was the $500 the normal payment deductible for a claim?

Your other options are vehicle breakdown coverage through your car insurance company that you pay with the insurance payment. This method you pay only when you are paying insurance, not paying for the entire coverage, but there may be more exclusions. However, apparently it cost less.

What I mean is the warranty companies have negotiated lesser rate for repairs. They would pay less for the repair as one would pay out of pocket roughly 500$ less besides the deductible. The bill they get is reduced bill: Just the same way Health care insurance company pays less to the hospital bill compared to someone uninsured paying out of pocket .

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
Most contrast in extended warranty are written for ICE AND are expensive as they have more wearable parts. Traditionally EV WARRANTY PRODUCTS are supposed to be less expensive .
Good article found

https://insideevs.com/news/368032/tesla-extended-warranty-xcelerate/
On this I don't know exactly what you mean. Tesla doesn't even offer an extended warranty for 3 or Y, because they know it's expensive to replace anything out of warranty.

If you read about the repairs that some owners get in warranty, it would be expensive out of warranty. One I read about was the drive inverter had to be replaced. They changed the whole rear drive assembly, including the drive motor and inverter housing. Since it's hard to access their inverter board, which is mounted in the axle. This also happened to Car and Driver magazine on their test Model 3.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
What I mean is the warranty companies have negotiated lesser rate for repairs. They would pay less for the repair as one would pay out of pocket roughly 500$ less besides the deductible. The bill they get is reduced bill: Just the same way Health care insurance company pays less to the hospital bill compared to someone uninsured paying out of pocket .
Okay, I was just checking to understand if the $500 was the deductible. I have a ToyotaCare Platinum 10yr/100k no deductible warranty. That will cover me for almost the entire time I keep the car. It was about $1800.

OP
OP

Prashantsukhs

Banned
Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
Okay, I was just checking to understand if the $500 was the deductible. I have a ToyotaCare Platinum 10yr/100k no deductible warranty. That will cover me for almost the entire time I keep the car. It was about $1800.
Correct. I had similar plan with 100$ deductible. What I meant was the warranty company may have to pay ( example) 1200$ due to their contract for a work order and they may charge us more 1700$ if we had no extended warranty.

OP
OP

Prashantsukhs

Banned
Banned
First Name
Prashant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
On this I don't know exactly what you mean. Tesla doesn't even offer an extended warranty for 3 or Y, because they know it's expensive to replace anything out of warranty.

If you read about the repairs that some owners get in warranty, it would be expensive out of warranty. One I read about was the drive inverter had to be replaced. They changed the whole rear drive assembly, including the drive motor and inverter housing. Since it's hard to access their inverter board, which is mounted in the axle. This also happened to Car and Driver magazine on their test Model 3.

So brings back to same argument I am having here is if we donā€™t have correct warranty and let say if the electric motor or inverter blows off after warranty period, we will have to pay several thousand dollars to fix this car.

Would hate to have a pseudo platinum grade coverage and when itā€™s time to pay , we donā€™t out despite buying the coverage they would say itā€™s not listed in contract so itā€™s on us. ?ā˜¹

I am looking to buy extended warranty ,whether is Ford offered or third party when it specifically is written keeping EV IN MIND AND using EV parts vocabulary in coverage and exclusion. The current Ford option clearly states high voltage battery is excluded.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
So brings back to same argument I am having here is if we donā€™t have correct warranty and let say if the electric motor or inverter blows off after warranty period, we will have to pay several thousand dollars to fix this car.

Would hate to have a pseudo platinum grade coverage and when itā€™s time to pay , we donā€™t out despite buying the coverage they would say itā€™s not listed in contract so itā€™s on us. ?ā˜¹

I am looking to buy extended warranty ,whether is Ford offered or third party when it specifically is written keeping EV IN MIND AND using EV parts vocabulary in coverage and exclusion. The current Ford option clearly states high voltage battery is excluded.
I'm not sure what you're asking for at this point. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but it seems like people have answered you, and your reply was "I'm not sold."

A quick web search finds the brochure at 64172_911b_FP_Premium_Bro_2019.pdf and the web site at PremiumCARE (ford.com) says everything except the HVB, which is covered under the standard 8yr/100K coverage BEV component coverage. The site's table doesn't list either way, and there's no formal documentation there, but I just opened the coverage document from my most recent purchase of a PremiumCare offering, from last fall, and it says the same "everything except excluded" language where excluded mentions all batteries, but doesn't mention hybrid components (meaning covered):

Ford Mustang Mach-E Extended warranty. 1614452715469

There's no EV language because there doesn't need to be.

Buying a third party warranty - any third party warranty - is asking for trouble. Buy what the manufacturer has, or don't buy anything.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Most definitely it is NOT a warranty. It's an extended service plan. Big difference in coverage.
84 months. 48,000 miles. Premium Care Plan. $50 deductible. First day rental (was $10 extra). Interior/Exterior Lighting (was $30 extra). Original Plan Price $979. After $228 discount cost was $751 plus the $10 and the $30 for grand total of $791.
You paid $800 for 4 extra years but only 12K extra miles of coverage. The price isn't bad if you don't put many miles on the car because time is more critical. If you put on 10K or 12K miles a year not so appealing.

Agree that it might help if you sell it. Probably more important if you transfer it to family member.

Agree third party extended service plans are useless. I will also note that having a good dealer who will advocate on your behalf extends the coverage to more things!

If someone asked for my advice, which they're not LOL, I'd advise making the extended service plan end at the same time as the battery warranty. So 96 months.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
When I clerked for a state Supreme Court justice he told me the operative rule in insurance cases was "the insurance company loses", explaining that the rule was designed to protect the insurance companies. Otherwise they would deny coverage for everything and then no one would buy insurance.

Also, I have mentioned that good dealers make sure the coverage is as broad as possible. Bad dealers just take "no" for an answer.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
One thing to keep in mind, for a factory extended service agreement warranty, it is common that you can cancel and get a full refund, minus a documentation fee, while you are still in the original warranty period. So you'd have like 3+ years to decide if you want to keep it, or cancel. You need to check the agreement, but all the ones I've seen are like that.
Sponsored

Last edited: