First Time Use

newtoev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E RWD Extended
Hi everyone!

After ordering my Mach-E RWD extended range in June, it arrives at the end of this week! As someone new to EV ownership, are there any hints and tips the community can pass on, or things they wish they knew when theirs arrived? I have a home charger and the Ford App ready. Any suggestions greatly received!
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Hi everyone!

After ordering my Mach-E RWD extended range in June, it arrives at the end of this week! As someone new to EV ownership, are there any hints and tips the community can pass on, or things they wish they knew when theirs arrived? I have a home charger and the Ford App ready. Any suggestions greatly received!
Start reading. The site is full of great information.

In particular, note those in the UK thread. You also might want to add your country to your profile.

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
Also, the Range display will fluctuate wildly with weather, driving style, terrain, the phases of the moon, etc. The indicator is called a Guess-O-Meter or GOM for a reason.

Don't freak out if your car doesn't get the rated range, because almost no EV gets the rated range. This is especially true in Europe where the testing cycle results in a much higher rating than in the US.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
LOL
Welcome mate. You need to browse all the threads there’s lots of tips

Here’s mine. The frunk is drainable. First trip fill it with a bag of ice , a six pack of your favorite Ale ? or pilsner and perhaps some cold hard cheese and crackers or carb of choice. Pick the prettiest vista nearby , take your favorite human and or pet and celebrate your first ride on a bed of electrons.....

Enjoy that first ride... OTA angst is coming

once again welcome

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
This is important: you’re buying an incredible, awesome, and fast car. But it’s Ford’s first attempt at a long-range BEV and it will frustrate you like crazy sometimes. Stupid little tech issues will happen all the time and that’s just the way it is. Don’t let the few minor annoyances overwhelm your enjoyment of this car. I’ve fallen into that trap before and was looking to sell it and go back to a regular ICE. I am very, very happy I stopped being a baby and kept it. Focus on the positives, and if you ever forget, go drive an ICE around for a day. You’ll remember quickly.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
You get some free charging credit at Electrify America, but to take advantage of it you'll need to set up a couple of things. Not all dealers tell new owners about this. I ran into someone charging at an EA station and noticed her using her credit card to pay for charging. I asked her if she used her free charging credits and she responded with something along the lines of "what free charging credits?" -- her dealer never told her.

1) Log into your account at owner.ford.com. Go into "Connected Services". There you'll find the Blue Oval Charging network. Add a payment method to this account.

You can use FordPass to activate and pay for charging at a number of EV charging locations. The only place you get the free charging credit (250kWh for most cars) at Electrify America. Once you use up all the credit, it will bill the payment method on file. But you have to have *something* on file before it will let you use it.

If you charge anyplace other than Electrify America and activate/pay through FordPass it will bill that payment method.

2) Enable Plug & Charge on your car. Once you completed step 1, open FordPass, tap Vehicle -> Charging -> Blue Oval Charge Network -> Plug & Charge. Make sure you have this enabled.

When you arrive at an EA station, plug-in ... and the magic happens. You don't need to interact with the station at all. It should connect, identify the car, authorize the charge, and start charging.

One thing I learned the hard way ... according to EA, if the car doors are LOCKED then it will fail to authorize. I was using Phone-as-a-Key and when I walked around to the front of the car to grab the charge cord, the car doors locked. It has to be unlocked to initiate charging. But once it does initiate the charge, you can lock the doors and walk away.

OP
OP

newtoev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Also, the Range display will fluctuate wildly with weather, driving style, terrain, the phases of the moon, etc. The indicator is called a Guess-O-Meter or GOM for a reason.

Don't freak out if your car doesn't get the rated range, because almost no EV gets the rated range. This is especially true in Europe where the testing cycle results in a much higher rating than in the US.
Thank you mate! Appreciate this!

OP
OP

newtoev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is important: you’re buying an incredible, awesome, and fast car. But it’s Ford’s first attempt at a long-range BEV and it will frustrate you like crazy sometimes. Stupid little tech issues will happen all the time and that’s just the way it is. Don’t let the few minor annoyances overwhelm your enjoyment of this car. I’ve fallen into that trap before and was looking to sell it and go back to a regular ICE. I am very, very happy I stopped being a baby and kept it. Focus on the positives, and if you ever forget, go drive an ICE around for a day. You’ll remember quickly.
Thanks for the advice mate! Mine is actually a company car, so there's no way I can get rid of it, even if I wanted to !

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Hi everyone!

First time in your car, be sure you are in a place with decent wi-fi (hopefully at the Dealership), phone and Fob on center tray, and follow the instructions to set up PAAK and your 'Backup code' right away while you are sitting in the car... go all the way thru the process in one shot. wrap the Fob in a couple layers of tin foil, hide it inside the car for Emergencies and/or valet parking, and make sure you know your 'door pillar code' and your 'PAAK backup code' in case you need to start without your phone or have trouble with PAAK connecting...

Looks like you are getting RWD ?!
my tip is.... be careful moderating your accelleration, especially on wet slick twisty roads in Hampshire

other than that.... ENJOY

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Job 1 2021 Mach-E (SR AWD)
Country flag
First time in your car, be sure you are in a place with decent wi-fi (hopefully at the Dealership), phone and Fob on center tray, and follow the instructions to set up PAAK and your 'Backup code' right away while you are sitting in the car... go all the way thru the process in one shot. wrap the Fob in a couple layers of tin foil, hide it inside the car for Emergencies and/or valet parking, and make sure you know your 'door pillar code' and your 'PAAK backup code' in case you need to start without your phone or have trouble with PAAK connecting...
Or you could just use the FOB since yours are smaller than the ones provided in the US!
Sponsored