williswong

First Name
Willis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E Red
Country flag
Anybody have a forced GPS installed on their car at the dealership?

Obviously I didn’t want it installed on my car but they did it anyway because of “dealership” policy. I bargained it down but still not thrilled they did it anyways.

was this something I should have told them specifically before the car arrived to the dealership?
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The Jeep dealer did this on our Wrangler 4xe but that was a stock model that we bought off the lot. A special order vehicle really shouldn't have anything added unless agreed upon before hand but of course every dealer is different. Even so, it is always good to remind your dealer multiple times to reduce the chances of it happening anyway.

In my case, I happen to be acquainted with an engineer at Jeep who contacted the dealer and made them remove the device because it was causing interference with the on board modules in the vehicle.

KZ6e1e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P4X
Country flag
Santa Monica Ford did the same thing on a canceled order that I was going to pickup. Gps + PPF + door guards for $2,000. Non negotiable since they don't markup cars and you're getting something for the money.

I walked and the car sold to someone else in a couple of days. I called my dealer who I have an order with and they said they only add door guards but if I told them I didn't want they won't put it on during PDI.

Guess if you're going to add those things anyways it doesn't matter to you.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag

Obviously I didn’t want it installed on my car but they did it anyway because of “dealership” policy. I bargained it down but still not thrilled they did it anyways.

was this something I should have told them specifically before the car arrived to the dealership?
There's a term for this. It's called getting ripped off by your dealer.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag

It would have been beneficial to mention that you didn't want any dealer-installed options/accessories.

Did you initiate the order online? Or even in-store, did you get any sort of order acknowledgement/etc? I would personally demand they remove it if it were a special ordered car of yours and you didn't request it.

Off the lot? That's a different situation.... I've only ever had those things done when I've purchased used cars. Didn't bother me as I just ripped 'em out after buying.

OP
OP

williswong

First Name
Willis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E Red
Country flag
It would have been beneficial to mention that you didn't want any dealer-installed options/accessories.

Did you initiate the order online? Or even in-store, did you get any sort of order acknowledgement/etc? I would personally demand they remove it if it were a special ordered car of yours and you didn't request it.

Off the lot? That's a different situation.... I've only ever had those things done when I've purchased used cars. Didn't bother me as I just ripped 'em out after buying.
Yeah, I ordered online. According to them its "policy" for them to add GPS/Lojack to all their cars that get sold off the lot. I wasn't told about it until they showed me the final numbers and I saw that GPS install cost line on the numbers.

Best case I could do (they couldn't/wouldn't remove it) was to ask for a significant discount (got it down to 800 instead of 2000 and its added into the payment). If anything, that was probably the only thing that soured my experience with signing my paperwork.

Next car I order from anybody, I'm asking for nothing to be installed. Meh. Lesson learned. Its the principle man! lol
Sponsored