Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I mean, the UI is nice but is a live activity REALLY that big of a deal?

Rivian is lacking things that the MachE and Lightning have like...
  • CarPlay/AA
    • With EV routing for both
  • In car entertainment (only YouTube but better than nothing in Rivian).
  • Sirius XM
    • For an "adventure" vehicle, crazy they only rely on cell service for radio. When on trails, you won't have service...
  • Charge Assist App (saves from needing to download tens of random provider apps)
  • V2H (Lightning)
  • Heat Pump (24+ Lightning)
  • Any kind of service network (Rivian SCs are booked 3-4 months out, such bad horror stories)
So yea, I'd hardly say Ford is falling behind Rivian when Rivian is missing things Ford has. They are just missing different sets of features, so pick your poison.
Not to mention the Rivian nav system is not good at all. And their route/charging planning is subpar also.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
R1S and Mach E owner here. I use the app widget for the Rivian, but I don’t think it’s a big deal that Ford doesn’t have it.

Also, my two cents is that Rivian is better from a software standpoint in some ways and Ford is better from a software standpoint in other ways. Rivian’s Driver+ sucks compare to BlueCruise (even the standard hands-on version 1.0). That’s a feature that I care a lot more about than an app widget, tbh.
I agree completely, have Mach E, R1T and Hummer. Many people are in awe of how the Rivian software looks and feels, but in reality Ford and GM have many features that are lacking in the Rivian. I am more concerned with features, rather than look or feel.

My ranking of the automation:
1) Supercruise, way ahead
2) Bluecruise, pretty good
3) Driver+, actually way behind

I can rank the built in nav systems the same way
1) Hummer with Google maps, great.
2) Ford with Here maps, Ok.
3) Rivian with Mapbox, terrible.

DustyShades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium AWD Ex Infinite Blue
Country flag
If Rivian goes bankrupt, all those orphan trucks will have some great dead features. Get 'em while they're hot!
maybe you can point me to the Chevy Trucks that can no longer be serviced after GM went bankrupt 15 years ago or whenever it was.

MachEasy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, Jeep
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag

• CarPlay/AA
  • Sirius XM
    • For an "adventure" vehicle, crazy they only rely on cell service for radio. When on trails, you won't have service...
  • Charge Assist App (saves from needing to download tens of random provider apps)
  • V2H (Lightning)
  • Any kind of service network (Rivian SCs are booked 3-4 months out, such bad horror stories)
So yea, I'd hardly say Ford is falling behind Rivian when Rivian is missing things Ford has. They are just missing different sets of features, so pick your poison.
Both may be true. The biggest thing though is Rivian refusing to let Android or Apple car play into their vehicle software stack. Just seems like a strange and stubborn hill to die on.

djstough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MachE Premium Extended battery, AWD
Country flag
maybe you can point me to the Chevy Trucks that can no longer be serviced after GM went bankrupt 15 years ago or whenever it was.
A bankruptcy of a major firm is much different than a small firm. GM had resources to restructure and continue as a going entity, mostly thanks to Uncle Sam. If Rivian doesn't have a re-org plan that shows making a profit, a bankruptcy most likely would be a liquidation. Once that happens, there is no warranty service.

DustyShades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium AWD Ex Infinite Blue
Country flag
A bankruptcy of a major firm is much different than a small firm. GM had resources to restructure and continue as a going entity, mostly thanks to Uncle Sam. If Rivian doesn't have a re-org plan that shows making a profit, a bankruptcy most likely would be a liquidation. Once that happens, there is no warranty service.
But we understand the bankruptcy doesn’t mean that cars are just going to stop working right? Or not be serviceable? Like you can restructure, get acquired, have 3rd party service, etc.

That’s before we get to the point that I would challenge your assumptions on the likelihood of Rivian even going bankrupt in the first place.

djstough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MachE Premium Extended battery, AWD
Country flag
But we understand the bankruptcy doesn’t mean that cars are just going to stop working right? Or not be serviceable? Like you can restructure, get acquired, have 3rd party service, etc.

That’s before we get to the point that I would challenge your assumptions on the likelihood of Rivian even going bankrupt in the first place.
Of course. I certainly don't think they would just be shut off and left for dead. As I said, there would not be warranty service from Rivian. That's all I said.

Eagertrader

First Name
Norberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e GT
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Folks, respectfully, allow me to remind us all as to why we purchased the Mach-e on the first place (especially the GT versions). It’s for the fun of driving a car with the Mustang legacy, and that (at least mine) it has in spades. All the other stuff, the Oh’s! and the Ah’s! aren’t as important. Keep driving on!!

hprose

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250 and a Mach-e on order
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
That

• CarPlay/AA
  • Sirius XM
  • V2H (Lightning)
So, the Rivian doesn’t have Car Play, charge assist or Satellite Radio but it has prettier app graphics and a couple of pieces of information most of us don’t care about. WOW! I rarely look at the app. I’m thrilled when I plug in and it knows who I am and starts charging. RI would like a few features back that were lost due to, IMO, complaints. We used to have little maps form each trip and information on each trip. There were complaints about the features so they went away. Most interfaces are are good or bad only in the eyes of user. Many love the Mac interface. I find it to be as non intuitive as the decades ago Word Perfect.

Just Lurking

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT
Country flag
Due to the pathetic FordPass and Sync, there is no way I’d recommend Ford’s EV! Never!
The Sync software has got much better and is in decent shape IMHO. The biggest remaining issues (for me) is it's still a little sluggish/underpowered (though it has got more performant with updates) and bluetooth audio streaming briefly cuts out when using the Sync interface (also probably related to performance.)

The Fordpass app is going to get more feature-rich this year along with a new interface. It won't be as slick as the Rivian app, but it will be a big step up over the current app.
Sponsored