Ford - Make the 'Volume' button so much MORE...

hitchhiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e 4x, 1965 F-100, 1999 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I pointed that out a while back and the consensus was that I had a defective dial ?
That's crazy. It's quite clearly intentional. My guess would be that it can also detect where it was pressed, so that it could have d-pad-like functionality in the future.

Don't we have Mute on the steering wheel? I'll have to check
I didn't find it. I really wish pressing the volume button on the steering wheel would pause media in CarPlay. edit: Looks like it is labeled mute. I wish it was configurable for mute or pause, or maybe short click = pause, long click = mute.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
This has been mentioned in several places (so I take no credit for it), but I thought it was a home-run idea and hope Ford implements it in an OTA.

I figured that if we consolidate this into it's own thread we can get more concentrated feedback and opinions...

The idea:

The 'volume' knob should NOT just be for volume - it should dynamically change based on function. Examples:
> When you select a radio channel it acts as a volume dial.
> When you press the fan control, it adjusts the fan speed.
> When you select the temperature, it adjusts that.

I'm sure others can think of many more uses and I'd think it would be achievable via software update(s) by Ford.
Inside information says these sorts of uses are on the way. Look for these in OTA updates about the same time as BlueCruise.