guster14

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
Why? The balloon amount is based on what Ford thinks the car will be worth. If you put fewer miles on the car, it will be worth more, right?
I never thought about it that way but that makes complete sense now. Would probably be better to just low ball the miles then to have the lower payment then and see how the car's value works out in the end.
Sponsored

Skelton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Volvo XC60, 2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
I never thought about it that way but that makes complete sense now. Would probably be better to just low ball the miles then to have the lower payment then and see how the car's value works out in the end.
I wouldn't. I believe you're overthinking this a bit. If you lowball the mileage and "sell it back" to Ford you'll pay a higher cost for that over-mileage than if you went for a more accurate estimate.

Dancefreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Star White Premium extended battery eAWD
Country flag
If you were to get options with 10,500 miles/yr and then you put on 20,000 miles/yr. You would have to pay for 28,500 extra miles if you returned the car to ford. At 20 cents a mile if that's what they charge, you'd owe them $5,700. Your car could be worth more than the balloon payment so that you could sell it or use its value as a trade-in, but remember your balloon payment is based on a car with half the mileage in this situation (meaning it will be higher) so there's no guarantee that will be the case. Think about how much the market changed in the last three years. A lot can happen in three years moving forward.

If you're planning to keep the car and want options for the $2500 bonus and plan to eventually refinance, then none of that matters. But you said you plan to get a new one three years from now, so that would't apply.

guster14

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Country flag
That makes sense also. Was figuring I’d trade it back for a new one in 3 yrs just bc hopefully the technology (and charging) will be much improved by then but I’ve had my current Acura 14 yrs so who knows. Hah. Think I’ll go w the 19500 miles then and see how everything plays out.

Really appreciate everyone’s help here. Thank you.
Sponsored