Marki

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME
Country flag
I am now using Ford Pass from my Apple Watch. It is working ok. I have the Ford Pass location permission set to “while using the app” on my phone. I was surprised that the watch app worked without asking me to set location permission to “always” on my phone.

58959E01-820C-4ABD-A608-43C8AA317C5F.png

E9CD0AA9-6CC6-4185-99DD-CF4A63888DE9.png

577B2C21-1B21-4F2D-9660-E3D0903596B1.png

DF556527-9FD5-49C2-9E2D-737630F41CCD.png

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
You do know the watch has its own GPS right? Idk about the Ford app specifically but most iOS watch apps are standalone app and are designed to work without the phone present as well.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
You do know the watch has its own GPS right? Idk about the Ford app specifically but most iOS watch apps are standalone app and are designed to work without the phone present as well.
That will work for actions over Bluetooth or WiFi but actions requiring cell service will only work without your iPhone if the Apple Watch is one that has its own cell service.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
That will work for actions over Bluetooth or WiFi but actions requiring cell service will only work without your iPhone if the Apple Watch is one that has its own cell service.
Well that should be pretty obvious. What other things besides regular texts and phone calls for non compatible providers won’t work over wifi?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Well that should be pretty obvious. What other things besides regular texts and phone calls for non compatible providers won’t work over wifi?
My point is the actions you take on the FordPass app that requires WiFi or cellular signal will only work if you have an iPhone present or have cell service on your Apple Watch - remote start when out of Bluetooth range, for example.

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I am now using Ford Pass from my Apple Watch. It is working ok. I have the Ford Pass location permission set to “while using the app” on my phone. I was surprised that the watch app worked without asking me to set location permission to “always” on my phone.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Pass app in Apple Watch DF556527-9FD5-49C2-9E2D-737630F41CCD

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Pass app in Apple Watch DF556527-9FD5-49C2-9E2D-737630F41CCD

This is great. I’m glad it’s back!

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
It is working great on my Apple Watch Series 6 with cellular. Very convenient, especially for pre-conditioning the cabin.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
My point is the actions you take on the FordPass app that requires WiFi or celestial signal will only work if you have an iPhone present or have cell service on your Apple Watch - remote start when out of Bluetooth range, for example.
Apple Watch can connect to any wifi signal, a Phone isn’t required. I’m not saying it’s convenient but it is possible. Say your phone dies and you forget the code to the door. Connect to a nearby wifi and open the doors. Assuming Ford designed the watch app to be standalone.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Apple Watch can connect to any wifi signal, a Phone isn’t required. I’m not saying it’s convenient but it is possible. Say your phone dies and you forget the code to the door. Connect to a nearby wifi and open the doors. Assuming Ford designed the watch app to be standalone.
Somehow I’m obviously not being clear. If you have no iPhone with you and no WiFi you can connect to, there are some functions that will not work. Was that clear?

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Does anybody know if Ford is developing the watch app themselves or if they have outsourced the development?

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Somehow I’m obviously not being clear. If you have no iPhone with you and no WiFi you can connect to, there are some functions that will not work. Was that clear?
Of course, that’s how the internet works-it’s safe to assume people know this. Your initial response was to my comment that a phone is not technically needed for the watch app to work.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Having an Apple Watch with cellular seems to allow full use of the Apple Watch app without a phone nearby and without a WiFi connection.
Sponsored