sean7512

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT Grabber Blue & Cyber Orange
Country flag
I was driving the wife's 23 GT tonight and kept hearing wind noise, as if a window was open. It seemed to be coming from the glass roof. When I got home, I was inspecting the glass roof and noticed a gap in the rubber seal that goes around the edges of the glass. The gap is just above the front passenger side. I looked over my MME and I don't seem to have a gap anywhere, so I am pretty sure that is the issue. I will take a closer look tomorrow in the daylight, so I don't have to use my phone flashlight. Has anyone seen anything like this or know how involved a fix would be?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Gap in Roof Seal 1711245509165-kw
Sponsored

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hard to tell where on the car that picture is taken for me. Do you hear wind noise going around the car or air infiltration? Need someone to sit right where the noise is coming from while you drive it and see if they can feel any infiltration. Holding something light that will move by that location may help? May just be external turbulence or it could be infiltration. May leak if the later if the former the sound system is not bad. With no engine/muffler noise we hear different things. Around the passenger side mirror can be noisy for me at times.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I was driving the wife's 23 GT tonight and kept hearing wind noise, as if a window was open. It seemed to be coming from the glass roof. When I got home, I was inspecting the glass roof and noticed a gap in the rubber seal that goes around the edges of the glass. The gap is just above the front passenger side. I looked over my MME and I don't seem to have a gap anywhere, so I am pretty sure that is the issue. I will take a closer look tomorrow in the daylight, so I don't have to use my phone flashlight. Has anyone seen anything like this or know how involved a fix would be?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Gap in Roof Seal 1711245509165-kw
Here is a picture of mine in the same spot. And no, that gap isn’t normal.

cheap fix- fill the gap with a black silicone.

Expensive fix- pull and reseal the whole roof.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Gap in Roof Seal IMG_9943

OP
OP
sean7512

sean7512

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT Grabber Blue & Cyber Orange
Country flag
Here are some better pictures I took this morning (just was frosty as the car was outside all night). I also noticed the seal pulling away on the front drivers side as well. Our other 23 GT does not have any of these gaps or issues.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Gap in Roof Seal 1711287697535-f

Ford Mustang Mach-E Gap in Roof Seal 1711287724563-qc
Ford Mustang Mach-E Gap in Roof Seal 1711287740408-tu

Expensive fix- pull and reseal the whole roof.
This should be a free warranty issue given the car is only 6 months old.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Here are some better pictures I took this morning (just was frosty as the car was outside all night). I also noticed the seal pulling away on the front drivers side as well. Our other 23 GT does not have any of these gaps or issues.

This should be a free warranty issue given the car is only 6 months old.
Should be free yes, but not sure you want to open up that can of worms (pulling the whole roof off).

If it doesn’t leak, it’s cosmetic mostly.

The wind noise is pretty common, but unlikely due to the missing seal. The noise usually comes from the gap between the entire upper windshield and roof or from the side view mirrors.

Pulling off the roof and putting back couple make the noise better or it could make it worse depending on how they align it.

When I had my windshield replaced (crack from rock) the Safelight guy showed my how uneven the factory windshield gap was. He aligned it better and my wind noise probably cut in half.

Previously I had purchased and installed some foam cord to fill the gap. After windshield replaced I didn’t need that anymore.

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
My 21 had wind noise like you described and I had the recall done for the windshield and the roof. The glass company didn't like the way it was originally installed as it had a large gap on passenger side. The reinstalled the entire roof and wind noise was gone. Gap is now less than 1/4" at all spots to windshield. Was originally scary to see the entire roof off car but it came back together with no issues.

EMachE

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Mechanic
Country flag
My 21 had wind noise like you described and I had the recall done for the windshield and the roof. The glass company didn't like the way it was originally installed as it had a large gap on passenger side. The reinstalled the entire roof and wind noise was gone. Gap is now less than 1/4" at all spots to windshield. Was originally scary to see the entire roof off car but it came back together with no issues.
The roof glass doesn’t have to be removed only more urethane added. The windshield is removed only

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
The roof glass doesn’t have to be removed only more urethane added. The windshield is removed only
Per the recall instructions yes but my glass company didn’t agree with the gross misalignment so they redid it as part of the recall. Glad they did as it looks better and is super quiet
Sponsored