Go Solar Questions for Texans or any experts

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
I'm thinking about getting solar. Here is my dilemma. We have free weekend energy and the total would be around 50% of our usage. Here is the approximate break down.

Total consumption per year 10,000kWh (5,000kWh @ $0.20 with all fees and 5,000kWh @ $0 (free and no fees))

We are planning to get 10,002 kWh from solar panels to offset our usage at $0.16 payout per kWh but we will be paying $100 per month for the panels. We will be loosing $0.04 per kWh and $100 per month for leasing.

Questions
1) Is this a good deal without including our free weekend? (Loosing $0.04 per kWh and paying $100 per month for leasing the panel)

2) Even though we use 10,000kWh but 5,000kWh are free. Will the 10,002kWh be a net sale at $0.16 per kWh or the 10,002kWh would be cancelling 10,000kWh usage first?

The solar salesman told me that buying contract has nothing to do with selling contract. That means we still have the same contract with our electric company but we will be getting $0.16 per kWh for the 10,002kWh. If this is the case, it would be similar to we are paying $0.04 for 5,000kWh instead of $0.20 and making $0.16 for 5,002kWh.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Sponsored

Last edited:

iahgva

First Name
Serge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Premium eAWD
Occupation
Business owner
Country flag
Hi Monke, I am in the process of evaluating Tesla Electric (I already have panels (non-Tesla) and 2 powerwalls) so getting familiar in this field, albeit not expert yet. First and foremost for the deregulated markets like mine, I dont think we can have a separate contract for the buyback but I am verifying. Where are you based and what is your solar provider ?

Generally, with one provider like my case in a deregulated market, it is Netmetering (you generally dont get paid for excess production only credited against consumption, with a few exceptions like Tesla Electric), see this website for a good overview of all plans in TX:

https://quickelectricity.com/2018-solar-panel-incentives-texas-net-metering-buyback-programs/

Austin is mentioned as having a buyback incentives of 9 ct/kWh, 16c just sounds too good to be true, but again not an expert yet.

OP
OP

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
Hi Monke, I am in the process of evaluating Tesla Electric (I already have panels (non-Tesla) and 2 powerwalls) so getting familiar in this field, albeit not expert yet. First and foremost for the deregulated markets like mine, I dont think we can have a separate contract for the buyback but I am verifying. Where are you based and what is your solar provider ?

Generally, with one provider like my case in a deregulated market, it is Netmetering (you generally dont get paid for excess production only credited against consumption, with a few exceptions like Tesla Electric), see this website for a good overview of all plans in TX:

https://quickelectricity.com/2018-solar-panel-incentives-texas-net-metering-buyback-programs/

Austin is mentioned as having a buyback incentives of 9 ct/kWh, 16c just sounds too good to be true, but again not an expert yet.
Thank you.
I think I would have to change the electricity plan to one of the solar plans without free night or free weekend. A new plan would kill the financial benefit of having solar. The buyback rate is either 6 cents or 16 cents depending on the time of signing up with 24 cents per kWh rate plan. It is quite weird on the time/rate parts. I would be paying the difference (24-16) = 8 cents per kWh if I somehow gets the higher payback plan. That translates to $100 extra cost per month instead of saving $40 per month. Anyway, the solicitors lied about not to have changing the plan and the buyback rate. I texted the guy about plan changing requirements and mentioned that I took it as he did not know. He said that was not how solar worked. Then I texted him a screen shot of the plan. He said my provider is the worst for solar plan. He knew and he lied.

iahgva

First Name
Serge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Premium eAWD
Occupation
Business owner
Country flag
And I just got my reply back from the Texas Utility commission (powertochose.org is the best website out there except they did not split solar buyback from the rest hence I sent you this other link I found yesterday) and they confirmed to me as well that “you may only sell to the company from whom you buy your electricity “
If you are in deregulated market, You need to find a netmetering with same buying back rate in your area so that you pay zero. It is important to ensure they have a plan with same buying back rate and not market or wholesale as you don’t have battery and your excess production will be sold during the lowest peak of the day when market rates are very low if not negative….
You pay 1k per year in electricity, at 2.3-2.7 $/kWh installed price you should be at about 17-20k cost so 15-17years payback.

OP
OP

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
And I just got my reply back from the Texas Utility commission (powertochose.org is the best website out there except they did not split solar buyback from the rest hence I sent you this other link I found yesterday) and they confirmed to me as well that “you may only sell to the company from whom you buy your electricity “
If you are in deregulated market, You need to find a netmetering with same buying back rate in your area so that you pay zero. It is important to ensure they have a plan with same buying back rate and not market or wholesale as you don’t have battery and your excess production will be sold during the lowest peak of the day when market rates are very low if not negative….
You pay 1k per year in electricity, at 2.3-2.7 $/kWh installed price you should be at about 17-20k cost so 15-17years payback.
I have been thinking about the solar. I came up with a better idea for my situation. Since I want to keep my current plan free weekends or I might want to change to other plans with free days or nights, buyback is not an option. I came across Eco Flow Delta Pro and found several solar panels dealers who are selling 25Y warranty 400W panels for $110-$150. I am stating small with 3kWh battery and 2-3 panels and build a gazebo for the installation. Eco Flow 3kWh battery is $1,600, 3 of 400W panels would be $400. That should be enough to power a sunroom. The expansion can be two extra batteries for $1,250 each and 7 more panels $800 and a breaker box $500. I will still need to pay for a Gazebo and installation $1,400. Total system would be $7200 for 9kWh battery system and 10 of 400W panels. Batteries should last for 10Y but the warranty is only 5Y. I'm not sure how much the savings would be in 10 years. In the worst case, this would be an expensive power back up system.

hyrulianruffio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e select , 2012 CR-V
Occupation
I.T.
Country flag
I have solar in Houston and it used to be a good deal with net metering, but now days with the buy back rates being so low, its not worth it anymore. I'd skip it.

OP
OP

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
I have solar in Houston and it used to be a good deal with net metering, but now days with the buy back rates being so low, its not worth it anymore. I'd skip it.
Thanks. That's right. It does not make any sense when we are buying $X per kWh and we could sell for less. I will just do a small system myself with 10.8kWh batteries for $7,200. After 30% credits, the cost will be just over $5k. First, I will have to test the panel durability against hailstorm in the area.

JRB100

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mustang Mach-e Select (C/T pkg) 10/10/22 build
Occupation
Retired educator
Country flag

rchallender

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MachEGTPE
Country flag
Hey @Monke, check out https://www.solarunitedneighbors.org/... The deregulated market is terrible for consumers when it comes to Solar. Some offer Solar buyback, but then you have to go on a solar plan and they'll charge you more than on energy you need to pull from the grid so you'll end up paying way more than what you would normally. Either way they'll get ya. Check out Solar United, they're a great non-profit that will help you find the best plan based on your design and your expected generation.

Boselka

First Name
Jason & Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vibedigital.marketing
Vehicles
'16 CMaxEnergi|'17 FocusElectric|'21 Mustang MachE
Occupation
Website Design, Development, and Digital Marketing
Country flag
We went Solar in April of last year. We have been very happy with our process we have a 15kW system with a 10kWh battery (Enphase system) we are now a net zero house (produced more in a year than we consume).

Your utility provider makes a huge difference in the payback. We live in Denton with Denton Municipal Electric. Our rates are $0.108 /kWh with a net metering policy and a $0.03 /kWh buy back on overage. in my opinion all of those programs that do free at night or the weekend or whatever all they do is jack up the rate you pay during the billing times. So unless you are careful with how you use power you don’t necessarily benefit from the plans like that. I would rather have a flat consistent rate at $0.11 / kWh than the mess with tricky periods and times of day and pay $0.18 during normal periods

AtomicInternet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS, Mach E Premium
Country flag
I'm lucky to have wholesale pricing in South Carolina, so however many kWh I generate INTO the grid I get back out with no cost. Essentially, I get unlimited energy storage for free. If I did NOT have this setup I'd definitely get a battery to store my excess, so you may want to look at cost of adding 1 or 2 storage batteries if the utility isn't paying a good generation rate. Added bonus is you're still online during power outages.
Sponsored