Grizzl-E Charger - GRRRR

gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GTPE (Declined Delivery); 2023 BMW iX M60
Country flag
The
The home install credit is "brought back" but it is now based on zip code. Only certain zipcodes that are below the average income of the area, based on recent census data. I could not find a zip code list but then gave up anyway when I realized ours won't be on it.
The requirement that the equipment be located in an eligible census tract does not go into effect until 1/1/23. The provision extending the credit until the end of 2032 was effective upon the bill becoming law. Therefore, the credit should be available to anyone that put such equipment into service this calendar year.

The IRS Form 8911 was amended in Jan 2022 and I doubt they will change it until next tax year. The IRS website for this form is predictably out-of-date, as it states, “[d]o not report refueling property placed in service after 2021 on Form 8911 unless the credit is extended.” The credit has been extended.
Sponsored

O’Msjestic1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F250 Limited Diesel, 2017 F250 Lariat Diesel,
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I also have owned the Grizzl-E classic charger for about a year and a half and never had a single problem and I charge about twice a week. The build quality is phenomenal. They have videos showing them being run over with trucks and still working. One of the reasons I also like the dumb charger is because if your Wi-Fi goes down or for some other reason the connection is lost, your car won’t charge that night.
Same here. Bought dumb with correct plug configuration to fit 50 amp welder receptacle. I can take the charger with me and use if I need at many “shop” locations around the country. It’s not the same configuration as the RV 50 amp so I’ve got options. I like the construction and wanted to be WiFi free. Let the Mach E or my Lightning control the charge rate.

CarDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER Premium 2022
Country flag
I just ordered a Smart Grizzle-E charger after my Ford one gave another amber status. I was able to order a Smart Open-Box at the same price as a new, standard Grizzle-E charger.

A quick unplug and re-plug fixed the Ford mobile charger, but I am assuming it's only a matter of time until it throttles and/or fail. The amber light is random and has been in warm and cool conditions now. It's just not designed to be used all of the time.

Fingers crossed with the Grizzle-E, it will get here tomorrow!

Last edited:

canuck1975

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Select MME with tech package - "Peggy"
Country flag
Not sure if anyone is watching this thread but I'm in the it ain't working camp. Finally got a response from them that there's been >100 ground faults over a three day period. I'm too much a pleb to know what that means in the real world though. Can any ELI5 this for me?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Not sure if anyone is watching this thread but I'm in the it ain't working camp. Finally got a response from them that there's been >100 ground faults over a three day period. I'm too much a pleb to know what that means in the real world though. Can any ELI5 this for me?
A ground fault means electricity is flowing to ground instead of through the car. This can happen if the cable is damaged and it's touching something grounded (the ground or a metal object). The fault could also be internal to the cable (one of the power wires touching the ground wire inside).

Try L2 charging your car somewhere else to rule out your car being the issue. Otherwise inspect the charging cable carefully for any damage. If your Grizzl-E is plugged into an outlet, unplug it and inspect the plug and outlet carefully for signs of melting. If you can't find anything, it's possible it's an internal problem with the unit, or you may possibly have an issue with the wiring or outlet (it may be losing the ground connection intermittently). Most likely causes are:

-Damaged/shorted charging cable
-Melted or defective outlet
-Bad EVSE internal components

canuck1975

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Select MME with tech package - "Peggy"
Country flag
A ground fault means electricity is flowing to ground instead of through the car. This can happen if the cable is damaged and it's touching something grounded (the ground or a metal object). The fault could also be internal to the cable (one of the power wires touching the ground wire inside).

Try L2 charging your car somewhere else to rule out your car being the issue. Otherwise inspect the charging cable carefully for any damage. If your Grizzl-E is plugged into an outlet, unplug it and inspect the plug and outlet carefully for signs of melting. If you can't find anything, it's possible it's an internal problem with the unit, or you may possibly have an issue with the wiring or outlet (it may be losing the ground connection intermittently). Most likely causes are:

-Damaged/shorted charging cable
-Melted or defective outlet
-Bad EVSE internal components
I'm hardwired from my house to the outdoor yard. I'll get the electrician out to check it. Thanks!
Sponsored