Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retried
Country flag
I have been driving my AWD Premium Extended Battery edition for a few months now.

We took a trip to the Southern California Mountains (near Arrowhead).

The many steep driveways created a common issue of the front bumper scraping (ouch). I did have the car loaded with two adults, luggage for the weekend and two large dogs (80 lbs +-)

I tried entering driveways at an angle and other navigation tricks from my days owning sports cars with low ground clearance. No luck.

So now my new Ford Mustang Mach E has a scratched up lower front bumper :-(

Best to all who love their cars as I do!

EV.png
Sponsored

Silver Lake

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-250 , Honda Crosstour, Rapid Red AWD ER 7/15/21
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have been driving my AWD Premium Extended Battery edition for a few months now.

We took a trip to the Southern California Mountains (near Arrowhead).

The many steep driveways created a common issue of the front bumper scraping (ouch). I did have the car loaded with two adults, luggage for the weekend and two large dogs (80 lbs +-)

I tried entering driveways at an angle and other navigation tricks from my days owning sports cars with low ground clearance. No luck.

So now my new Ford Mustang Mach E has a scratched up lower front bumper :-(

Best to all who love their cars as I do!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ground Clearance EV
I also am concerned with the ground clearance. Mainly for snow.
I am thinking taller tires, 235/55/R18 on rims for the winter. And perhaps a small lift kit, to gain a half an inch or so. I know that will reduce efficiency, but gotta make it thru the winter.
The lift tactics is with a outfit called SPACCER.
Still doing research though

OP
OP
Dictate

Dictate

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retried
Country flag
I also am concerned with the ground clearance. Mainly for snow.
I am thinking taller tires, 235/55/R18 on rims for the winter. And perhaps a small lift kit, to gain a half an inch or so. I know that will reduce efficiency, but gotta make it thru the winter.
The lift tactics is with a outfit called SPACCER.
Still doing research though
Thanks for your comments and I wondered about snow. This area of Southern California (Lake Arrowhead) gets snow in the winter. With AWD would one use chains or snow tires? I have seen signs stating "Chains Required". I guess with chains on each tire, one would get some good traction, but not a lot of clearance..... But this city guy just does not know of snow on the road.
All the best and enjoy your pony.

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
Thanks for your comments and I wondered about snow. This area of Southern California (Lake Arrowhead) gets snow in the winter. With AWD would one use chains or snow tires? I have seen signs stating "Chains Required". I guess with chains on each tire, one would get some good traction, but not a lot of clearance..... But this city guy just does not know of snow on the road.
As far as chains, really dependent on how fresh the powder is on the 18. If you're up there in the middle of snow storm, regardless of 4WD or AWD you can bet chains will be required. If it's the next day, chances are chains won't be required for 4WD/AWD, best thing is to have chains in the car and check with the CalTrans website (https://roads.dot.ca.gov/).

OP - also consult with your owners manual, specifically page 306 for winter tires and snow chains usage.

Last edited:

Silver Lake

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-250 , Honda Crosstour, Rapid Red AWD ER 7/15/21
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Snow tires and AWD. Wouldn’t put chains on A MME. Too much potential for damage.
Not sure what the DOT Regis are though….

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
I’m not aware of any highway restrictions in the US that require chains if you also have AWD/4WD and winter tires (sometimes just one or the other).

However, if you DO want to get chains because of where you live, you should get “Class S” tire chains, which are designed for vehicles with minimal clearance, such as most modern CUVs and SUVs.

OP
OP
Dictate

Dictate

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retried
Country flag
I’m not aware of any highway restrictions in the US that require chains if you also have AWD/4WD and winter tires (sometimes just one or the other).

However, if you DO want to get chains because of where you live, you should get “Class S” tire chains, which are designed for vehicles with minimal clearance, such as most modern CUVs and SUVs.

Did not know either so checked CalTrans, only R3 requires. Not sure what that would look like...

Chain Requirement Levels
During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are Three Levels of Chain Requirements in California:

• Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
  • Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
    NOTE: (Four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
  • Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
    Ford Mustang Mach-E Ground Clearance caltranslogo

Last edited:

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Did not know either so checked CalTrans, only R3 requires. Not sure what that would look like...

Chain Requirement Levels
During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are Three Levels of Chain Requirements in California:

• Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
  • Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
    NOTE: (Four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
  • Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
    Ford Mustang Mach-E Ground Clearance caltranslogo
I stand corrected! Just looked and apparently CO has a similar final level with chains required for everyone (just prior to closing the highway). I don’t think I’ve ever seen it in effect…

It looks like a good chain option would be these Peerless Super Z6 model, sized for 225/55-19 (stock tires): https://www.peerlesschain.com/tire-chain-finder/traction/tirechains/673

I’ve not bought these for the Mach E yet, of course, but I’ve used the same model on various other vehicles with good results and no rubbing, including a lowered Subaru WRX.