Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
My guess is that the excessive sales of non-GT's meant they had to reallocate what would have been GT batteries to satisfy those orders. That or they are going back to the drawing board to squeeze a little more performance out of the GT design. Or a combination of both.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
My guess is that the excessive sales of non-GT's meant they had to reallocate what would have been GT batteries to satisfy those orders. That or they are going back to the drawing board to squeeze a little more performance out of the GT design. Or a combination of both.
I think you are correct. However, there is a possibility that Ford decided it's easier to get more orange juice from a larger orange. Especially out back....

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yup. The delay for the GT doesn't fully align with the COVID slowdown. It makes more sense that there's development changes going on with the program. 1-2 new motors for the car, additional battery cooling and now we're getting teased there's a possible heat pump. These kinds of things require time and if the GT ends up being a MY 2022, then I think the car will be well worth the wait.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I would almost guarantee the addition of a heat pump. They have the time and the advantages are too good to pass up.

Plutoman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excursion, Expedition
Country flag
All reasons I ordered a premium a week after ordering a GT last January to give me something to drive while I wait for the GT. I was suspicious about the GT timing. Now I am really glad I did.
Also glad Ford is working more on the GT. I still believe they are going to juice it to beat the MY. Hoping for 3-3.2 seconds but I will still be happy with 3.5.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
All reasons I ordered a premium a week after ordering a GT last January to give me something to drive while I wait for the GT. I was suspicious about the GT timing. Now I am really glad I did.
Also glad Ford is working more on the GT. I still believe they are going to juice it to beat the MY. Hoping for 3-3.2 seconds but I will still be happy with 3.5.
I'd be more happy if they kept 3.5 but got that range closer to 300

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I would almost guarantee the addition of a heat pump. They have the time and the advantages are too good to pass up.
The heat pump inclusion on the GT is odd, from a development standpoint. If you watch the documentary, A Faster Horse, you see how Dave Pericak, Chief Engineer, has a strict budget and has to stick to it. The fact the heat pump isn't on the first non-GTs but is now being discussed as a possibility to put it on the GT means something has changed and there's now money to include it in the design.

Plutoman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excursion, Expedition
Country flag
I'd be more happy if they kept 3.5 but got that range closer to 300
Me too actually...doesn’t mean I don’t want more more more ?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The fact the heat pump isn't on the first non-GTs but is now being discussed as a possibility to put it on the GT means something has changed and there's now money to include it in the design.
Yes, it has: the model Y performance is now on the market. My guess is Ford does not want to come in with lesser performance anywhere (range, acceleration, top speed, etc), and is willing to rework the design to make sure.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yes, it has: the model Y performance is now on the market. My guess is Ford does not want to come in with lesser performance anywhere (range, acceleration, top speed, etc), and is willing to rework the design to make sure.
I'd be pleasantly surprised if the MME GT can match the real world range of the Model Y Performance and I'd be shocked if the GT matches the Y's EPA range.

If it matches the EPA range, I'll send Ron Heiser a decent bottle of bourbon or something.

OP
OP
bluestarct

bluestarct

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Highlander, Mazda 6 GT, Mach E FE
Country flag
I'd be pleasantly surprised if the MME GT can match the real world range of the Model Y Performance and I'd be shocked if the GT matches the Y's EPA range.

If it matches the EPA range, I'll send Ron Heiser a decent bottle of bourbon or something.
Bottle? It is worth a case.
Sponsored