Guage cluster shows the Google nav!

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
I've owned 7 cars since the advent of Android Auto and not one that could ever do this, so I was very pleasantly surprised today to discover that the MME guage cluster will give you turn by turn directions from the Google Maps navigation in Android Auto! I was not running the car's built in navigation at all...all I was using was Android Auto and Google nav from it. I knew it did this when running the car's built-in nav, but not from Google Maps. And Google's voice turn by turn were coming through as usual, so between that and the guage cluster it's all I really needed. Maybe this is more common than I'm aware of and I'm the noob who has just never seen this before, but just thought it was super nice to have as it allowed me to use the large screen for radio instead of having the large maps up there which I don't really need all the time. Anyways just thought I'd mention it cuz it made me happy and I've never had this feature before.
....Cue all the comments about how you've had this in your insert-vehicle-here for years ?)

20210305_124620.jpg
Sponsored

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
Wow what the heck. I was gonna post a thread saying why can’t we do this on apple CarPlay? And it looks like android auto can do it.

Can anyone figure out a way to get this to work with apple carplay? If not, Ford should do this for us iPhone users

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I use Google maps and Waze via Apple CarPlay on my 2017 F150 with Sync 3. I haven't tried it on my MME yet, but I am presuming it will work - the Google Maps icon shown shows available on the CarPlay cluster.

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
I use Google maps and Waze via Apple CarPlay on my 2017 F150 with Sync 3. I haven't tried it on my MME yet, but I am presuming it will work - the Google Maps icon shown shows available on the CarPlay cluster.
But this is different than having it show up on the display behind the steering wheel.

Google maps will show up on carplay because apple supports that. But does Ford support having google maps on carplay and not android auto, show up on the display behind the screen? That is the question

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Wow what the heck. I was gonna post a thread saying why can’t we do this on apple CarPlay? And it looks like android auto can do it.

Can anyone figure out a way to get this to work with apple carplay? If not, Ford should do this for us iPhone users
I don't think Apple supports it. Apple supports second screens but this appears to be Android Auto sending the turn by turn data to Sync, and Sync is actually rendering the next turn in the gauge cluster, which is different than a second screen that the iPhone itself could render output to

CarPlay is basically just a video output from the iPhone, the car doesn't get much actual data from the Phone (other than now playing song titles)

Last edited:

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
I don't think Apple supports it. Apple supports second screens but this appears to be Android Auto sending the turn by turn data to Sync, and Sync is actually rendering the next turn in the gauge cluster, which is different than a second screen that the iPhone itself could render output to

CarPlay is basically just a video output from the iPhone, the car doesn't get much actual data from the Phone (other than now playing song titles)
Then I kinda don't wanna use carplay because I'd rather have the main screen for radio and navigation on the screen behind me.

What a shame

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Then I kinda don't wanna use carplay because I'd rather have the main screen for radio and navigation on the screen behind me.

What a shame
You could move to an Android phone, or, you could use the built in Sync nav, and then switch the center screen to CarPlay for audio

Personally, it's not a big deal. Coming from a Tesla even a slightly less than perfect CarPlay experience is better than what I had (which was none). I tend to prefer two nav apps at once anyway. I will probably use the car's nav plus something like A Better Route Planner in carplay to have a backup for route and charge planning

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I just discovered Android Auto has started working as of yesterday! This is very good. Hopefully soon it can send that information into the Mach-E's route planner for distance to empty to display.

Reactions: ARK

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
You could move to an Android phone, or, you could use the built in Sync nav, and then switch the center screen to CarPlay for audio

Personally, it's not a big deal. Coming from a Tesla even a slightly less than perfect CarPlay experience is better than what I had (which was none). I tend to prefer two nav apps at once anyway. I will probably use the car's nav plus something like A Better Route Planner in carplay to have a backup for route and charge planning
I traded in my model 3 so I am from a tesla as well. I'll try out the SYNC navigation and then switching to carplay after wards.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
But this is different than having it show up on the display behind the steering wheel.

Google maps will show up on carplay because apple supports that. But does Ford support having google maps on carplay and not android auto, show up on the display behind the screen? That is the question
Gotcha...I misunderstood.
Sponsored