Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I am still learning. I am finding significant range reduction when driving in the rain. My drives typically run 3.1 - 3.5 m/kWh. 50 miles in a cold rain Wednesday came in at 2.7. Small sample size and there could be other variables, but the rain seemed to be the main factor.
Yup. Weather actually affects an internal combustion engine (ICE) car too, but since they already are >60% inefficient you don't notice it as much. Going from 35% efficient to 28% is small enough to be irrelevant, but 90% down to 72% is noticeable - particularly when extra energy has to be used for heating.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Spin

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV 4 Hybrid, Toyota Tundra, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yesterday I knew nothing about this vehicle but I've learned quite a bit on here and the Ford site. One question I have is about the Fast charging sites. Someone said there are times when they don't work. How often is this a problem? Is level 2 charging available when the fast charging is down? Does Abetterrouteplanner know when these sites are down or will they send you to a site that is down?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
ABRP does take into account stations being down for repair, but I'm not sure how quickly it gets updated. ABRP is more of a "mapping out your trip ahead of time tool", although it does indeed have a setting for getting the "realtime" charger status while driving. The other site mentioned called "plugshare.com" is designed more for the "right now".

The general problem with the Electrify America charging seems to be related to the "plug and charge" feature which is basically brand new for both EA and Ford, so there are some growing pains right now. In general it seems if you use the Electrify America app to start the session then it works just fine, although that doesn't take advantage of the 250 kwh of free charging from Ford.

I'm certain that the "plug and charge" will be fixed soon, so I am not really worried about it. I'll be driving down to Fla in September, and @ChasingCoral just drove down there with his Mach E so he didn't get stranded - although he did get frustrated with the problems encountered.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
ABRP does take into account stations being down for repair, but I'm not sure how quickly it gets updated. ABRP is more of a "mapping out your trip ahead of time tool", although it does indeed have a setting for getting the "realtime" charger status while driving. The other site mentioned called "plugshare.com" is designed more for the "right now".

The general problem with the Electrify America charging seems to be related to the "plug and charge" feature which is basically brand new for both EA and Ford, so there are some growing pains right now. In general it seems if you use the Electrify America app to start the session then it works just fine, although that doesn't take advantage of the 250 kwh of free charging from Ford.

I'm certain that the "plug and charge" will be fixed soon, so I am not really worried about it. I'll be driving down to Fla in September, and @ChasingCoral just drove down there with his Mach E so he didn't get stranded - although he did get frustrated with the problems encountered.
P&C has been the biggest frustration but has gotten better. Starting sessions using the EA app is very reliable and most of my non-P&C have run smoothly. I've almost put 3,000 miles on Marlin at this point.
Sponsored