Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Wow! I never knew. Now if I could get rid of the POS chamberlain HomeKit junk and get something that works to open/close my garage door via HomeKit ?
Sponsored

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Wow! I never knew. Now if I could get rid of the POS chamberlain HomeKit junk and get something that works to open/close my garage door via HomeKit ?
Yeah its essentially another hub that is enables interoperability across different platforms.

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
Anyone know if there is a home ev charger that integrates with HomeKit?

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
So what do you put on the Pi to listen for it? I have a spare Pi sitting around doing nothing. Do I put a mic on it so it hears me when I ask it to do something with my Mach E?
Think of HomeBridge as a language translator. You don't talk to HomeBridge... you talk to Siri using your iPhone, HomePod, iPad, or any other Siri-enabled device (or via the Apple Home app).

HomeBridge has "plug-ins" which know how to speak the language for each non-HomeKit device.

You talk to Siri. Siri talks to the "HomeKit" device (which is really HomeBridge), HomeBridge translates the request into the device-specific language using the plug-in ... and sends the command along to the device. Any responses that come back to HomeBridge get translated and sent back to Siri. (The important thing to note is that you just keep using Siri as you normally do and don't really pay any attention to HomeBridge ... HomeBridge just does all the translating in the background.)

For example, I have a Ring doorbell and some Ring security cameras. These don't natively integrate into HomeKit. So HomeBridge uses it's Ring plug-in to talk to those devices (via Ring's developer APIs)... and advertises itself to the HomeKit network as *being* a HomeKit enabled doorbell, a HomeKit enabled camera, etc. There are loads of these plug-ins.

If someone triggers motion on a camera or rings the doorbell, I get notified via HomeKit (e.g. my HomePods will notify me). It also works the other way... the Ring security cameras all have lights. I can just ask Siri to turn on the light if I want.

So basically you set up HomeBridge with the Ford Pass plugin and HomeBridge will create HomeKit compatible devices for your car. Siri ends up thinking you own a HomeKit enabled car. Anything Ford allows via API should work (anything the Ford Pass app could do directly... *should* be possible via Siri).

As for the Raspberry Pi...

A Raspberry Pi is really inexpensive. The Pi foundations goal is to always have a computer available for about $35. As technology comes down in price, new models come out that *still* cost $35 ... but include newer tech.

The current standard version is called the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B. The standard version has 2GB RAM but they do make models with 4GB and 8GB. HOWEVER... you'll find that even 512MB would be enough (so I wouldn't get a version with more RAM unless there is something else you plan to do with it.)

The Pi will *not* include a power supply, case, or microSD card. But those are pretty cheap. The Pi Model 3 series all used microUSB 5v at 2.5amps ... basically the same power supply that charges most non-Apple mobile phones. With the Pi 4 they switched to the USB-C style (and bumped up the amperage required to 3 amps). The official power supply is $8. The official case is also $8 (but I'd get a third party case with better cooling because the Pi 4B runs "hot").

A microSD card acts as the "hard drive". It doesn't need much. Technically 8GB would be enough ... but these things are so cheap that I had a hard time finding a card smaller than 16GB (and those were around $10-12 for a good one).

And you'll probably want a case and this comes with a caveat. A Pi 4B has a reputation for running a bit hot. If the case isn't well vented and have some cooling (either active or passive) then they tend to get quite hot. I've tried numerous cases. Those with fans tend to start making noises after a few weeks (bearings squealing) which drives me nuts. I prefer passive-cooling cases.

My favorite, so far, is made by Argon Forty and it's called the Argon ONE case for the Pi 4B. The case is made out of some metal alloy casting (possibly mostly aluminum). They use thermal tape to conduct heat from the processor (on the Pi it's called the SOC for System On-a Chip) and that conducts the heat into the case ... the entire upper half of the case is a heat-sink. The case does have a fan but it is software controlled and only turns on if the Pi gets hot enough. The heat-sink works *so* well... that my fan has never actually turned on (I have forced it on just to make sure it really does work)

The Pi will also not include a keyboard, mouse, or monitor. You wont need these. You mostly just access it via the network. (I use a VNC client on my mac when I want to access it). The HomeBridge app is mostly controlled via a web browser ... although there are a few things which require getting on the Pi either via SSH or VNC to edit some configuration files using a text editor.

If it makes things easier for you, you can plug in *any* USB keyboard & mouse (no drivers needed ... it's Linux) and connect a monitor (the Pi 4B has two microHDMI ports ... so you'd need an adapter to connect it to an HDMI monitor or TV).

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
as posted above, hoobs provides a preconfigured raspberry pi with home bridge software. It's a bit pricey as compared to sourcing the parts and installing yourself, but for the convenience factor it's a good option for some.

https://hoobs.org

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Select AWD SR
Country flag
I've been running Homebridge on a RPi for over a year and it's the best addition you can make to standard HomeKit. It has so many benefits, including the ability to support Ring Cameras via Homekit. I've been using the Fordpass plugin as well for my F150. Just purchased a Mach E and it was a simple addition to the Fordpass plugin via Homebridge and my MME now shows up.

The plugin only supports turning the car on/off and locking/unlocking the doors for now. But I can say "Hey Siri, turn on Mach E" and it works.

Ford Mustang Mach-E HomeKit Integration? Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 8.11.20 AM

txaggies07

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE FE Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
You can get rid of the chamberlain home bridge if you have the other device that works with the myQ app.

I installed a home bridge server that runs on my Mac mini. It was quite easy to install. I then can load plugins for MyQ to control the garage door with Siri and the Home app. I also installed a SmartThings plugin to control all my lights, nest plugin for thermostats, etc. Most popular devices I have been able to get to work.

Send me a PM if you need any help.

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Select AWD SR
Country flag
You can get rid of the chamberlain home bridge if you have the other device that works with the myQ app.

I installed a home bridge server that runs on my Mac mini. It was quite easy to install. I then can load plugins for MyQ to control the garage door with Siri and the Home app. I also installed a SmartThings plugin to control all my lights, nest plugin for thermostats, etc. Most popular devices I have been able to get to work.

Send me a PM if you need any help.
I used to use the SmartThings plugin as well, but I have since found that I no longer need it as almost all of my devices are supported in some form directly via HomeKit or a HomeBridge plugin. Here the plugins I use:
FordPass
MyQ
Wyze (supports Wyze smart plugs)
Tuya (supports most "generic" smart switches)
Meross
Ring (Awesome integration. I can now see my cameras via my AppleTV and it auto appears when someone rings my doorbell. Because Ring supports Schlage smart door locks, those are also pulled in via the plugin so I can control my door locks in HomeKit)
ZP (Support for Sonos Speakers)

I also have Wemo light switches, but those are HomeKit compatible. I also use an Ecobee which is also HomeKit compatible.

It works extremely well and is very reliable. Highly recommended and also happy to help guide anyone interested.

Jonis

First Name
Jonis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Seach for "sonoff homekit wifi garage door opener".
Make one yourself for $5 (works perfect) or buy one for $20.
No additional hub needed if you have a appleTv or iPad as homekit hub.

crownmountain

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 2WD ER, 2022 MINI Cooper S EV
Occupation
Industrial network architect
Country flag
Doing HomeKit integration with Home Assistant. Added the FordPass plugin but the information does not report over to HomeKit, still looking into that. Did build a screen for the that in Home Assistant. And also added an integration for my Duke Energy smart meter gateway which is very informative when charging. Also not reporting over to HomeKit and looking into that s well. Some screen shots.

Ford Mustang Mach-E HomeKit Integration? HA Fordpass screen
Ford Mustang Mach-E HomeKit Integration? EV Power Used chargin