I canceled my Mach-E order and got a Bolt EUV instead

OP
OP

EchoRomeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SEL / comf+tech / grabber blue (pending)
Country flag
LOL. oh well, I had an offer from the GM dealership on Thursday, I accepted it (all over text and phone calls, I was unable to get to the dealership). They asked for Driver’s license, Proof of insurance, and to fill out the online Financial forms, I did all of that, I asked what I needed to do to reserve this vehicle, down payment? Formal signed document, “Oh no, no need for that, we will hold it for you.”
I told the Chevy dealer I was going on vacation (Just Friday, Saturday, and Sunday), I’d be back Monday or Tuesday, they called on Saturday and said, and I am quoting, “Hi Todd, Chris Mc[ScrewYou] general sales manager at [Weasel Chapbutt] Chevrolet, reaching out because Carson and my new sales Manager Tom mis-quoted you on that incoming Chevy Bolt EUV, so I wanted to go over the new numbers, GM Supplier pricing is not available, the only thing I can get through is the 6300$ GM Rebate, so again, just wanted to review the actual numbers to make sure you’re still looking at moving forward so give me a buzz back if you would, 813-###-####, thanks so much bye”.
Any mention of, ”if you don’t call us back we are going to sell it”? It was Saturday by the way, (and the car is NOT even in the dealership until 7/11!), when I received this, on vacation. And you guessed it, they sold it without calling me, texting me, emailing me, nothing. Everybody I know has a story like this, dealerships are the absolutely worst run businesses I have seen, and I am in the industry. I will welcome the day Ford starts selling 100% outside of the dealership environment.
Sorry, rant over.
Sounds awful! Yeah when I was initially calling around to Chevy dealerships most said they didn't actually accept my GM Family First discount. Even the dealer I bought from was uncertain about applying it. I don't know for sure but I think there's a difference between your supplier discount and my Family First...sorry to say, I think Family First carries a little more weight. I recall at one point a dealer clarifying that I had a Family First code and not supplier before confirming they'd accept it.

For the Bolt, it's unfortunate how we have to "shop around" dealerships these days to find ones that won't charge an outrageous mark up or that will reserve a car for us / give us a heads up when cars become available. It's too bad the guys you delt with didn't communicate better or give you the chance to firm up the reservation before moving on to someone else. In today's seller's market, it seems like customer service is no longer necessarily the top priority.

But at least you still have your Mach-E order...hopefully that purchase goes much more smoothly!
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Shouldn't have told the dealer you didn't want it, they're going to try to sell it out from under you the first chance they get. Or find ways to overcharge you at the end so you don't end up buying it. They don't want you to cancel so they can sell it to someone else for a big $10k markup. They might try give you a $500 check and keep the deposit charge so the order stays alive. That's all they care about so they get their payday.

You might try calling Ford, I don't think they let you cancel an order over the phone but maybe that's changed. I'm a big proponent of allowing customers to fully cancel their orders independently from the dealers, which allows production capacity be better utilized for others waiting for their orders rather than being wasted on "markup cars."

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I emailed the dealer requesting the order be canceled and they replied that I actually need to physically get to the dealership to swipe my card to get the deposit back. I'm out of town for a couple weeks and they said the order will remain active in case I change my mind.

Do you have any details on exactly how I'd go about flipping it? That's not normally the kind of thing I'd do, lol. I'm pretty sure I'm credit worthy enough to take delivery but I'd still be financing almost all of it. My order is price protected for -$1000, I have x-plan (MCA), and could benefit from the tax credit, so I feel like the risk of taking a loss is pretty low.

What would you do? Just list it on Autotrader after a few days, even with temp registration still on it? Or go to Carvana with it? Is there anything I would really need to know when flipping a brand new car like this?
Taking the tax credit isn't allowed if you are buying the car just to sell it. Posted often. "The vehicles must be acquired for use or lease and not for resale."

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/plug-in-electric-vehicle-credit-irc-30-and-irc-30d
Sponsored