I have a build date, but when can I expect the car?

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
I have received an email that my Mach E is scheduled to be built during the week of February 1st. Based on that does anybody know when I might be able to pick up the car from my dealer here in Northern NJ?
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Nope, that question has been asked over and over again and until people start picking up their cars is the biggest unknown yet.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Nope, that question has been asked over and over again and until people start picking up their cars is the biggest unknown yet.
+1 on this one. Some people say that with early builds, there will be more of a push to get them delivered sooner to hit EOY... and then you hear the 5-6 week timeframe as well.

NEMuskRat

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1983 Delorean, 2007 SC Mustang, 2018 F150 FX4, 2019 Escape
Occupation
Electron Beam Eng
Country flag
A guy I work with had ordered a new Toyota Tecoma built for him. He said it was also built in Mexico.
From his build date to delivery, it took a month. This was from a plant that was already in full production and humming for a while.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Long ago and far away....Back then when you ordered a vehicle your request was placed for the day of the week it was to be built (poor quality control, great deal of drug and alcohol abuse, etc.).
You could expect the special order in about 2-3 weeks. 5-6 weeks after the car was built was wholly unacceptable and unheard of. Car came off the line and shipped - they used rail and trucks. Cars were built in Canada and the US (eg MI and OH).
Perhaps I am missing something, but why should a customer in CA,AZ, CO etc. wait 5-6 weeks for his vehicle? Are Mexico and technology that inept?

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Perhaps I am missing something, but why should a customer in CA,AZ, CO etc. wait 5-6 weeks for his vehicle? Are Mexico and technology that inept?
My guess is the delivery times might be a little shorter. However, depending on where you live, the wait might be longer or shorter than if it was made in MI. The vehicle to be assembled. Then it has to be loaded onto a carrier. Then loaded on to a rail car. Then transported to a place near the dealer through a rail system that isn't always direct (aka ever have to take a plane to Cleveland to get to Miami?) and which might be congested. Then it has to be transported by truck to the dealer. And then the dealer has to prep it.

The biggest variable would be the rail delivery time. Rail is cheaper but it's not A->B.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
The Mache will get put onto the rail to a certain hub spot. Then unloaded and put on trucks by teamster and taken to dealers.
Just had a long discussion on this with some co-workers. Pretty much 3 to 4 weeks for the states 5 to 6 for Canada and around 2 months for Europe.
Some and I will say some could get lucky and make it in 2 weeks. But that will be your southern Cali, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas.

So if you don't want to be disappointed and be happy with the time just say 4 weeks for the states.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Anywhere in the 48 states should take about a month. No more realistically. Wait weren’t there 50 states? A bit longer to those outliers. Ships are involved. And trains and possibly barges.

As for Canada, there’s the border inspection for counterfeit Poutine in the Poutine storage unit aka “Frunk.”

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Anywhere in the 48 states should take about a month. No more realistically. Wait weren’t there 50 states? A bit longer to those outliers. Ships are involved. And trains and possibly barges.

As for Canada, there’s the border inspection for counterfeit Poutine in the Poutine storage unit aka “Frunk.”
Counterfeit Poutine... that's treasonous.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My guess is the delivery times might be a little shorter. However, depending on where you live, the wait might be longer or shorter than if it was made in MI. The vehicle to be assembled. Then it has to be loaded onto a carrier. Then loaded on to a rail car. Then transported to a place near the dealer through a rail system that isn't always direct (aka ever have to take a plane to Cleveland to get to Miami?) and which might be congested. Then it has to be transported by truck to the dealer. And then the dealer has to prep it.

The biggest variable would be the rail delivery time. Rail is cheaper but it's not A->B.
And yet at the beginning of this process they have to get enough parked at the plant to fill up a truck or train.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Some and I will say some could get lucky and make it in 2 weeks. But that will be your southern Cali, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas.

So if you don't want to be disappointed and be happy with the time just say 4 weeks for the states.
Nice to be near the border! I'll take it.

But these estimates are for transport only, correct? The question was how long from the build week date. Assuming a week, to be happy you'd want to add a week to account for the build. That gives you five weeks. If you live in the Southwest/SoCal, maybe four or even three.
Sponsored