Is it Apple's Time to Get Behind the Wheel? Wall St. Journal/ China controls Precious Metals for Batteries

dssdmd

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi a6 & audi a4
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The Mach E is a computer with wheels, and who controls software and who controls batteries has control of your ev! Two recent articles in the Wall St Journal show that Ford , GM, and all car companies my not have full control of their own ev destiny. Look up
Apple and the End of the Car as We Know It by Christopher Mims
and " Chinese Tightly Control Key Metal" by chuin-wei yap. You may need to be a subscriber to read the full article, but you will get the idea! Many other articles are available on the same subject. Ford just announced an arrangement with Google for software. I ordered a Mach E, but I feel I have signed up as a beta tester for Ford! It could be fun, or it could be a horror show!
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Ford just announced an arrangement with Google for software. I ordered a Mach E, but I feel I have signed up as a beta tester for Ford! It could be fun, or it could be a horror show!
Your MME won't be running Android Automotive. That's not coming for a few years.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I don’t see Apple getting into the auto business as a carmaker. Notice how they never entered the television business, never directly became a music or video/movie content producer, they make very few (if any) devices in the HomeKit ecosystem, and so on. Being a carmaker is a huge commitment. I can see them developing some kind of enabling technologies and partnering with one or more companies.
Sponsored