Is it possible to track a rail car (Norfolk Southern)?

OP
OP
TheVirtualTim

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I figure by the time it gets unloaded from the train and picked/sorted, I probably won't see it before wednesday. That's OK, though: just knowing that it passed all the QC checks and is only 50 miles away is reassuring.
If the railcar arrived in the yard on Friday then my guess is it will be turned over to the trucking company on Monday for unloading from the train and onto a truck.

It could arrive on Tuesday ... although the dealer will need time to get it cleaned up and ready for delivery. My guess is they'll be ready to deliver it to you by Weds.
Sponsored

AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
So in my obsession I stumbled on to a Stingray forum post about tracking your rail car (seemingly across most carriers) and it apparently actually works.

To be clear, I am not suggesting you do this. But...

If someone were to hypothetically try and use this system it would be super important to read the "Rules". That person should just use the automated system and never speak to a human lest they figure out non commercial entities are using the number. The fictional person who might use this system should also know the little trick on that post about how to enter the car initials with the keypad instead of their voice as well.

https://www.stingrayforums.com/threads/how-to-tracking-by-railcar-number.8300/

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
So - I just tried calling Norfolk Southern via 800-635-5768, and I'm happy to report it works!

Pressed 2 for Intermodal. Then 2 for tracing.

Asked for "equipment ID", I entered my Mach-E's railcar info. It asks for the letters first, so I just used T9 on the keypad to enter, then # (only press the number once, so if X, press 9 once). Then it asks for numerical portion of railcair number, so just enter and press #. It then gave me the most recent update on the railcar, which matches my most recent Vehicle Visibility report!!

All automated, no need to talk to a human.

This is dangerous for me, will feel the urge to call every hour!
I can't get it to recognize my rail car number. No matter if I say the letters or try to enter using the T9 I can't get it to recognize the letter portion. Anyone have any suggestions?

Nevermind, it worked when I used the linked Stingray instructions above.

Last edited:

AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
I can't get it to recognize my rail car number. No matter if I say the letters or try to enter using the T9 I can't get it to recognize the letter portion. Anyone have any suggestions?

Nevermind, it worked when I used the linked Stingray instructions above.
Iā€™m glad these methods above have worked for some. For whatever reason the rail car my MME is on is in stealth mode. All three of the ways mentioned above give a different location (and those locations havenā€™t updated in a month or more) and none of those locations are within a thousand miles of Fordā€™s last posted update in VV. Frustrating.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Palsapp shows mine pending delivery from KC to Muncie since Saturday and I am working on controlling my mind and body to not check it every few minutes......

AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
Palsapp shows mine pending delivery from KC to Muncie since Saturday and I am working on controlling my mind and body to not check it every few minutes......
Yeah good luck with that. Iā€™ve spent entirely too much time this weekend finding track and trace hotlines (which seem to work for everyone but me ?)

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
My palsapp shows my car to have been dispatched yesterday but no deliver doc yet

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
So - I just tried calling Norfolk Southern via 800-635-5768, and I'm happy to report it works!

Pressed 2 for Intermodal. Then 2 for tracing.

Asked for "equipment ID", I entered my Mach-E's railcar info. It asks for the letters first, so I just used T9 on the keypad to enter, then # (only press the number once, so if X, press 9 once). Then it asks for numerical portion of railcair number, so just enter and press #. It then gave me the most recent update on the railcar, which matches my most recent Vehicle Visibility report!!

All automated, no need to talk to a human.

This is dangerous for me, will feel the urge to call every hour!
I'm wondering if I have some user error. My dealer tells me my car is on TTGX603637. The phone number doesn't seem to be recognizing that. T9 for TTGX should be 8849 right? I couldn't get it to work. I also tried saying it out loud but it couldn't understand me. I was surprised when the robot voice repeated 8849 back to me in the failure message, not TTGX. I wonder if that didn't work somehow.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I'm wondering if I have some user error. My dealer tells me my car is on TTGX603637. The phone number doesn't seem to be recognizing that. T9 for TTGX should be 8849 right? I couldn't get it to work. I also tried saying it out loud but it couldn't understand me. I was surprised when the robot voice repeated 8849 back to me in the failure message, not TTGX. I wonder if that didn't work somehow.
No, mine always worked but the voice said 8849.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
8849 always worked for me. Maybe it isnā€™t in the NS system yet if it was just recently loaded?

AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
Try the number for CSX I reference on the stingray post somewhere above. CSX seems to be able to track across multiple carriers

Rockcity313

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Atlas
Country flag
I'll quit tying up the line now: the train reached Wilmington! Hopefully they'll unload it tomorrow.
Wilmington Delaware or NC? I'm in Delaware. Palsapp shows delivered to norfolk on July 2nd. Any guesstimate as to. How long deliver may take?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Wilmington Delaware or NC? I'm in Delaware. Palsapp shows delivered to norfolk on July 2nd. Any guesstimate as to. How long deliver may take?
Wilmington, DE.

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜18 Pacifica PHEV, ā€˜22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
So I have a relative of a friend that works for the railroad . . . in their traffic department. I asked them a few days ago if they could see if they could track my car by railcar. The railcar supposedly left the plant on 1/26 - 8 days ago. He found it currently in De Queen Arkansas (directly South of KC) as of 5:45 am today. My delivery date on the Ford site is by 3/9 . . . I can't believe it takes 5 more weeks from Arkansas to Ohio? This is like the postal service lately where I am still getting December mail in February!
Believe it or not, I have been to DeQueen AR. You donā€™t want your car to linger there for very long.
Sponsored