AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I would ordinarily agree except that between Columbia and Memphis is an EV desert. My parents live between those points, and I would never drive there for that reason. Thanks to the politicization of EVs in general, this is not likely to change anytime soon. My advice is to get a hybrid if you need to cover that distance on a regular basis, and then go yell at your Congress and statehouse critters.
Before we had access to the SC network, I would have totally agreed with your statement. But a little research (going to Tesla's website) reveals something different. Looking at the SC network map for non-Tesla vehicles there seems to be several SC options on the Columbia MO to Memphis TN route. In addition, there's a Flying J CCS station being built in Matthews MO. Things are much better than they were 3 months. So when you get your NACS adapater and the software update, go see your parents in your Mach-E.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Love my MachE and now a rant Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 5.58.40 PM
Sponsored

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The route from Colombia to Memphis should be more doable once you get the Tesla adapter, but the stretch south of Cape Girardeau still looks iffy for a std range battery. Plugging in to ABPR shows Tesla Superchargers at St Louis and near Cape Girardeau but you likely need a working charger south of that. The Lightning EV truck is still going to be expensive especially with larger battery. Also the mi/kwh still sucks. Other than that it's a great road tripper. Who knows what the ev resale values will do from here. In the short term the Tesla network availability should help Ford.
I did a quick check on Plug Share. Yes, right now the area south of Cape G is devoid of compatible level 3 chargers, but Flying J is building a location in Matthews, which is south of Cape G. If you don't want to go to 90 or 100% at a SC in Cape G, once the Flying J station is open drivers will have more options.

Reactions: RLW

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
These threads make me laugh. Not the "I lost value", although that is funny. The "you can't take it out of town" bit. Michigan to Florida, just under 3k miles round-trip. 3 times I believe. 10 states and 8 national parks, nearly 5,000 miles. Lightning too...

Get some new material, please.
“Lightning too” - well, THAT’S why! 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Admittedly I'm in the honeymoon period with the thing. Looking for excuses everyday to run another rural errand, if you know what I mean.
I tell myself that I can balance a bit of that economic negative against the cost of ownership of my other vehicles, with the mileage I'm NOT putting on them when driving my new beater?

I'm pretty good at convincing myself of things like that. I neeeed to enjoy today. I'm going to too. :)
Hope it's not a hard landing from that honeymoon! I've enjoyed my beater. It's why my 2yr old powerboost isn't yet cracking 7k miles and also required the desire to fix the 12v 'capacity' without slaving it to a charger.

Cost wise, the MME goes 250 miles on $3 of electricity, requires no engine warm up. Just hop in and go. I get good night time power rates though.

How many miles have you put on it and what's the impression been thus far?

Snakebitten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E
Hope it's not a hard landing from that honeymoon! I've enjoyed my beater. It's why my 2yr old powerboost isn't yet cracking 7k miles and also required the desire to fix the 12v 'capacity' without slaving it to a charger.

Cost wise, the MME goes 250 miles on $3 of electricity, requires no engine warm up. Just hop in and go. I get good night time power rates though.

How many miles have you put on it and what's the impression been thus far?
You must know very well that YOU are to blame for the Mach-E's sudden arrival in my barn. 😜

The Powerboost hasn't moved in the 12 days since, and that's exactly the strategy I was drawn to. Honestly, the impulse purchase of the Leaf was already resulting in the same phenomenon: extending the life of the Land Yacht Powerboost.

I simply discovered that EV's ARE the perfect beater. I just didn't have a beater that has a soul.

Thank you, by the way. I imagine you had no idea, certainly not the intention, of manipulation. But I couldn't help but pick up on the fact that you were having more fun than me behind the wheel. I shamelessly addressed the envy.

Sure enough the GTPE and Powerboost go together like peaches and cream. 😉

Last edited:

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
These threads make me laugh. Not the "I lost value", although that is funny. The "you can't take it out of town" bit. Michigan to Florida, just under 3k miles round-trip. 3 times I believe. 10 states and 8 national parks, nearly 5,000 miles. Lightning too...

Get some new material, please.
Poster has Standard Range.

I would not personally road trip with an SR given the slow Mach-E DC charging speeds and the 210-ish highway range (maybe a bit more now that Ford has unlocked the extra 3 kWh since 2021).

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69mach1, 11 R56S MINI, LR LR4, Mach-E IBSM.
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
I love our 2021 MachE Premium Std Range! With BlueCruise it is more than I expected. I purchased this during the COVID shutdown because we needed a self driving car for a weekly trip (medical reasons). It is a perfect 2nd car for our household. Now the rant. I bought this because an EV truck was not available and needed the self driving assistance. I assumed that as new technology that it would hold its value so that i could transition to an EV truck when they became available. What I didn't expect was the cliff that EV's are experiencing in value. My $52K car is worth $19K on a good day. Some dealers will not even give you a price. I've attempted to trade for both new and used Lightning Lariats for the past six months and have come to the conclusion that I keep this car forever. I simply cannot throw away money to trade it. I doubt that I'll buy the EV truck in my lifetime. I don't need two vehicles that I cannot take "out of town". We experimented driving from Columbia, MO to Memphis, TN in the MachE. I would never do that again. The range is just not there to ensure that you make it between chargers safely. My only hope for a truck is that the price falls the same as cars. I could be in the market for a $30K used truck. From the looks of things that is possible.

Two Words: Mavrick Hybrid.

kootinlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I drove my Mach E with my family from Los Angeles to Las Vegas during the Christmas holiday. We really enjoyed this road trip. Stopping to charge and taking a restroom break along the way, I didn't find it troublesome at all. I felt like we experienced a new way of traveling and got to experience the pros and cons of EVs.

milepost1

First Name
harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carbonizied gray - FE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I love our 2021 MachE Premium Std Range! With BlueCruise it is more than I expected. I purchased this during the COVID shutdown because we needed a self driving car for a weekly trip (medical reasons). It is a perfect 2nd car for our household. Now the rant. I bought this because an EV truck was not available and needed the self driving assistance. I assumed that as new technology that it would hold its value so that i could transition to an EV truck when they became available. What I didn't expect was the cliff that EV's are experiencing in value. My $52K car is worth $19K on a good day. Some dealers will not even give you a price. I've attempted to trade for both new and used Lightning Lariats for the past six months and have come to the conclusion that I keep this car forever. I simply cannot throw away money to trade it. I doubt that I'll buy the EV truck in my lifetime. I don't need two vehicles that I cannot take "out of town". We experimented driving from Columbia, MO to Memphis, TN in the MachE. I would never do that again. The range is just not there to ensure that you make it between chargers safely. My only hope for a truck is that the price falls the same as cars. I could be in the market for a $30K used truck. From the looks of things that is possible.
And how does Ford prevent free market value of new or used cars? Put for sale sign, 50k or what ever value you would like it to be. There your car hast lost no value.
Sponsored