Vish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I reserved a Mustang Mach E Premium Extended Range AWD on March 31st, 2021 and it is yet to be scheduled for Production. Meanwhile, I was looking for any Mach Es currently available on the dealer lot that were cancelled by customers. I found one in MI and got in touch with a gentleman to check the availability. He initially said there’ll be a markup of $5000 to the original sticker price of $56640 which I didn’t agree to pay. He then sent me an updated quote with all the discounts and the final out of the door price of the vehicle has been adjusted to $57025 (without any markups). I then decided to proceed further and started the application process, got an hard inquiry, and updated my insurance by adding this new vehicle which I was hoping to get the same day. I live in Cleveland and drove all the way to Flushing, MI (3 and half hr drive) only to find that there’s an additional markup of $5000 on the vehicle. They said they were ready to split the markup and charge me only $2500 which I refused to pay. They were very clear - “We ordered this vehicle for the dealership and we can sell it for whatever price we want. Also, think about this in a positive way that you’re saving $2500 and paying only $2500 as markup”. I was very very disappointed and had to drive back home. Being a techie and a huge fan of Mustang Mach E, this is a terrible experience and I’m now considering to get a Model Y just because I don’t have to deal with this greedy dealerships.
Sponsored

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yeah, my wife has encountered the same thing at the grocery store. Those pirates have marked up paper goods and many other items by as much as 100%

Carmel Mach E Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Focus Electric
Country flag
He then sent me an updated quote with all the discounts and the final out of the door price of the vehicle has been adjusted to $57025 (without any markups).
Who is "he"? And what did "he" have to say about what "they" said:

They were very clear - “We ordered this vehicle for the dealership and we can sell it for whatever price we want. Also, think about this in a positive way that you’re saving $2500 and paying only $2500 as markup”.
?

Did you show "them" the quote that "he" provided? And what did "he" think about all of this?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be obtuse, but your story leaves us with a lot of cliff hangers. What I am really driving at is, did you press the dealership on the broken promise that you had verbally agreed to on the phone?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I’m sorry for your experience. There are honest dealerships and dishonest dealerships. While I highly recommend traveling to buy a cancelled order - it worked for me and others - you have to get the quote with VIN, in writing and signed before traveling to a dealership.

If you did that and they still screwed you, you should forward your documentation to the Michigan Consumer Protection Division of the Attorney General Office.

Brian707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mustang Mach E Premium AWD EXT
Country flag
JFC, knocking $2500 off a $5,000 ADM. That's like being mugged, the thief taking $100 out of your wallet and giving you $50 back.

I would share your experience with Mike Levine on Twitter.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Based on what you said you had in writing the OTD price and they tried to raise it on you. In court the email price is legally binding and there was no mistake on their end other than being greedy. Remind them that the price writing is legal and if they refuse to honor it well the Michigan Consumer Protection Division of the Attorney General Office will be glad to help as they have a long list of things they are breaking the law on.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
I'm just wondering why you'd drive that far away without getting a verbal agreement on the phone about the price? You state they mentioned it right away. Wasn't that a red flag?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
JFC, knocking $2500 off a $5,000 ADM. That's like being mugged, the thief taking $100 out of your wallet and giving you $50 back.

I would share your experience with Mike Levine on Twitter.
I get the metaphor, but if I was mugged and the thief gave me half my money back, I’d actually be pretty impressed. Just sayin.

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
No. One is a voluntary experience, one is not.

OP
OP

gotvish

First Name
Vish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Thank you all for your responses. The only reason I drove all the way to the dealership is because they’ve sent me a quote to my email for $57k including all the taxes. We both have agreed (verbally over the phone)that it is going to be the final price and started the process of filling in the application. As soon as I reach there, they told that “we sold a Silver Mach E with additional markup this morning but forgot to add the markup on this one. Here’s the updated price including all the taxes” which went up to $61640 which is clearly a $5000 markup on the original price on Ford website.

lazydot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I've had similar offer of "split the markup and charge me only $2500" by Fremont Ford. It was actually the 2500$ Ford Options credit.

Carmel Mach E Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Focus Electric
Country flag
Thank you all for your responses.
Sure, and thanks for following up.

So, it sounds like you didn't make an attempt to get them to honor the price you were quoted over the phone then. Did you at least try to speak in person with the individual who gave you the lower price on the phone?

jrstinkfish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Sure, and thanks for following up.

So, it sounds like you didn't make an attempt to get them to honor the price you were quoted over the phone then. Did you at least try to speak in person with the individual who gave you the lower price on the phone?
They had him over a barrel and they knew it, I doubt there was much he could do right then and there even if he spoke to the same person. They figure if he desperate enough for one to drive all that way, he'd just pay the ADM. Good on him for not giving them the satisfaction.

It's like the Wild West out there with Mach-E pricing.
Sponsored