Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Total usage would be a neat feature. Like a Hobbs meter.

How long would it take to get to 1.21GW?

Sponsored

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Total usage would be a neat feature. Like a Hobbs meter.

How long would it take to get to 1.21GW?
well..... you're mixing units. GW is power, no time involved

if you're talking lifetime consumption, and know you can travel about 3 miles per kWhr, then 1.21 GW-hr would be a LOT of miles. ;)

More realistically, lets say you drive your MME 10,000 miles/year. That would consume about 3333 kWhr, or 3.3MWhr of energy. This would cost you about $400 for the year (depending on your Utility rate) or, about what a 2.1 kW Solar PV system would generate in a year if you go Solar.

but that's not as much fun as your MEME. !

markcoldren

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Escape SE Sport Hybrid; 2017 Ford Escape
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'm pretty surprised there is no power meter according to other commenters here. My 2020 Ford Escape hybrid has a power meter which naturally replaces the tachometer. In units of kW I can watch the power from 35 kW regen in the negative range to ~110 kW drive, and it displays a real-time mix between battery and engine output in different colors.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
1.21gw=1,210,000kw. So if you get 1 mile per 2kw = 650,000 miles. Can be done.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
1.21gw=1,210,000kw. So if you get 1 mile per 2kw = 650,000 miles. Can be done.
you have it upside down, and still mixing units. ;)
3 miles per kWhr, so
3,630,000 miles to consume 1.21 GW-hrs

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
GM put a little bubble in their EVs that goes up and down and shows the power output in kw. You can watch that thing float all day.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I'm pretty surprised there is no power meter according to other commenters here. My 2020 Ford Escape hybrid has a power meter which naturally replaces the tachometer. In units of kW I can watch the power from 35 kW regen in the negative range to ~110 kW drive, and it displays a real-time mix between battery and engine output in different colors.

I think this info is available on the 'trip computer' screen, but I don't see any picture of sample screen in the user manual.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
you have it upside down, and still mixing units. ;)
3 miles per kWhr, so
3,630,000 miles to consume 1.21 GW-hrs
Hours, Time, like a Hobbs. Kinda....
:p

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Yes, and I think this might be one reason why they didn't include one.

Instead of motor speed, which is technically what a tachometer is, I think what might be helpful in this EV context would be a visualization to see how far you have pushed the accelerator, i.e. to see if you are applying 30%, 50%, 80%, etc. throttle. If they could show a similar thing for the brakes, specifically a visualization of how far you can push it before you transition from regen to friction brakes, this would be gold.

NASCAR has something like this that they show at times during their races (see example here, might have to click away lower banner ad).

These sorts of stats would be useful both to gearheads wanting to see how far they are pushing it and also people trying to apply a light touch and maximize regen.
The owner's manual says there is a brake coach so if it's anything like the brake coach in my Focus Electric then it does give you data on how much energy you recovered as a percentage of the maximum possible. You get this visual display after each complete stop. Then, if you are observant enough you can determine the blend in point for the friction brakes. It's at very slow speeds for stops that yield a 100% brake score. The moment that pie circle graphic begins to draw is the same moment the friction brakes blend it. I have yet to see any videos on the brake coach feature or how it looks on the MME. Might have to wait to get my hands on a car again to figure that out for myself....

Also, in the FFE there is a vehicle graphic that shows a percentage representation of the throttle input. It's shown in the form of a larger or small circle around the center of the motor. Foot off accelerator pedal is a pretty small circle and it grows to nearly the size of the wheel at max TPS %
Same story here....will have to wait to get a car to see if there is anything like that in there. ?

Reactions: ARK

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
That could be an OTA for fun. Just imagine those RPMs!
After market hack. Along with flatulence sounds, Jetsons sounds, Beavis and Butthead sounds. And more (or would that be less)?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
The owner's manual says there is a brake coach so if it's anything like the brake coach in my Focus Electric then it does give you data on how much energy you recovered as a percentage of the maximum possible. You get this visual display after each complete stop. Then, if you are observant enough you can determine the blend in point for the friction brakes. It's at very slow speeds for stops that yield a 100% brake score. The moment that pie circle graphic begins to draw is the same moment the friction brakes blend it. I have yet to see any videos on the brake coach feature or how it looks on the MME. Might have to wait to get my hands on a car again to figure that out for myself....

Also, in the FFE there is a vehicle graphic that shows a percentage representation of the throttle input. It's shown in the form of a larger or small circle around the center of the motor. Foot off accelerator pedal is a pretty small circle and it grows to nearly the size of the wheel at max TPS %
Same story here....will have to wait to get a car to see if there is anything like that in there. ?
I'd like to see actual kW in-out.....

I have a super simple eMeter in my eMiata that shows all this 'real-time', and it gives me a really good idea what shape the batteries are in by how much the voltage 'sags' when under max load.

But the 'eCycle' meter I have in the eMiata is intended for 200v max. The LinkPro is good up to 350v with a 10x scaler, but I don't know for certain yet what the actual end-of-charge pack voltage is in the MME.

My eMiata is DC, so I don't get any regen, but the meter does a decent job keeping track of actual voltage and actual current to count ah expended, which I can use as a 'fuel gauge' knowing what the ah of my battery pack 100% DOD is. It is also interesting to see the actual kW used to maintain steady-state speed on various grades and speeds..... for instance, on flat level highway, it takes about 20 kW to maintain 60mph with the top and windows up, and it takes 5-10% more with the top down.
Sponsored