Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
I feel like a broken record here, but this nation NEEDS to get back to work. We are learning and will continue to learn how best to keep ourselves from contracting the virus. We will continue to learn the best treatments. We will continue to work on a vaccination especially for those at high risk. But we need to be nimble as a country. There are areas and businesses that can operatewhile taking prudent action to keep people and employees safe. (Been to a supermarket lately? Are the workers there all dying of COVID-19?) This is not all or nothing. This is evaluate where we are in any given location and everyone do what is necessary to prudently protect themselves.

This economy must restart, slowly at first, but start nonetheless. A failed economy will make this virus seem like the good times. Let's go people. Let's rally around getting this country healthy and prosperous. This is no time to be scaring yourselves to death and hiding in your house. I assume the recent isolation has given us some time to prepare and figure out how to stay as safe as possible. That isolation will need to end in a responsible way and start soon.
My wife and I are doing our part, we just got back from a McDonalds drive-through. Only the best!
Sponsored

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Who does the CDC report to?
Who does the NSC report to?
That's where Federal leadership has to start. You can't copy the models of South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, or any of the counties that have succeeded in keeping business going and keeping deaths down without leadership from the top of the Federal government. That leadership has to start long before it gets out of control.
I just knew you'd get there sooner or later but I knew I could draw you into stating what I already knew you meant. There, don't you feel better! What's joy without blaming it on Trump? Good grief.

At any rate, you totally miss the point as does my buddy on my ignore list. No matter what, the CDC was both totally unprepared and totally wrong about testing. Trump must defer to the experts. Isn't that what they tell you on CNN 24/7? The experts were the CDC & NSC. But hey, what ever makes you feel better.

What is never stated by those with agendas, is the positive side. Ships are being positioned in both California & NY to greatly enhance the ability to care for and provide additional beds for patients. The Javits center in NY has been turned into a makeshift hospital. Trials have begun for the drug hydroxychloroquine, which has shown great promise in France where 79 of 80 patients had good outcomes. The French doctor who conducted this study emphatically insisted this drug should absolutely be used for patients with real issues from the Corona virus. In fact of the 80 patients, the only death was that of an 85 year old.

In the US where hydroxychloroquine has been used off label, results have been equally promising. In fact a number of doctors are taking this themselves preventivally. Private industry is stepping up to provide additional ventilators, masks & shields as well as other supplies. Oh, and despite Gov Cuomo's assertion that he needed tens of thousands of additional respirators immediately, it turned out he wasn't even using the 4,000 that had been shipped to him by the Feds that are sitting in a warehouse. Embarrassing. Almost as bad, NY has lost a staggering 20,000 hospital beds over the last 2 decades to budget cuts and insurance overhauls.

But the steps in place now underway are unprecedented in this country's history. But hey, that's the bright side of which those with agendas are always mum about. Just amazing.

This is why I have little tolerance for these threads and wish comments like these were restricted to just one thread on the virus rather than polluting these other threads. Then it would be easy for me to avoid the one thread where I know the usual suspects will spew their politics, whether 'subtle' or not so subtle. I know exactly who will play the blame game, whether they first verbalize or not.

Last edited:

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Are we gaining ground on virus yet ? The News just stated that the USA is now
considering a nation wide "Lock Down" This is no help to the economy . What are your views on this Lock Down This is not needed everywhere is it ?

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I heard Trump state that he 'may' be ordering a 'quarantine' of NY, NJ & CT, to prevent an exodus of people from those states to other states as is currently occurring. I didn't hear him say anything nationwide.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
I heard Trump state that he 'may' be ordering a 'quarantine' of NY, NJ & CT, to prevent an exodus of people from those states to other states as is currently occurring. I didn't hear him say anything nationwide.
He did not state nation wide. I heard it but did not totally listened
to who was saying it. It will be brought up again. I did hear this
and I hope they drop it.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Thanks for looking. I knew I heard about this and I thank you for checking up
about it. I hope we hear no more of this.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
On a personal note. I have 2 grown daughters and grandchildren. If they need
help through these difficult times I will be there for them. I will do all I can
even if I must forget the Mach E at this time. Family First.

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
On a personal note. I have 2 grown daughters and grandchildren. If they need
help through these difficult times I will be there for them. I will do all I can
even if I must forget the Mach E at this time. Family First.
As it should be, but a failing economy could have devastating affects on retirement savings and other assets. With a loss of that value, your ability to help your family could be reduced. Best case for you and your family is figuring a prudent way to get this country working again.

OP
OP
jeffdawgfan

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Speaking as a retired ICU/ER Rn here. I know hindsight is just that, however....

IF we had locked down the country and shut the borders two months ago along with a six week stay at home order, we would be coming out of this now. Anyone that had the virus would have either survived or succumbed to the disease. Our existing contagious population would now be over it. No new cases would have come in. Our economy would have recovered very quickly. Sickness and death would have been minimized. Instead, we flopped about with our policy's and tried to piecemeal it and now we are going to suffer the consequences. A large population of our people are going to die and the economy will be in duress for probably several years. I blame this on our federal leadership. Regardless of their political leaning, Our federal government should have listened to the experts. Now we will pay the price for them hiding their heads in the sand. I feel for my ex-coworkers on the front lines. Every night when they go home exhausted they have to worry they are carrying the virus home to their families. All this from a lack of leadership.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, hindsight is 20/20 and what you said could be said of every country in terms of preparedness. Ours is not alone. No country reacted particularly quickly with perhaps the exception of S. Korea. What ever China said they did in terms of responding promptly, I certainly don't believe. Had they responded promptly and been honest, the entire world would not be going through what we're currently going through.

With that said, state governments are to blame just as parts of our federal government. The CDC was never prepared for this from one administration to the next. Here in NY, where I live, it's painfully obvious the state government was ill-prepared for this too. Through poor planning, hospital beds were relinquished and facilities were never considered, in terms of the numbers necessary, to handle a pandemic. This is particularly egregious when one considers 9/11 and the fact that NY must always be considered the centerpiece for any terrorist attacks. Yet our local officials did little.

And I've said it multiple times, nations must unite to bring about pressure on China to stop or alleviate the conditions that caused this now and in the past. If not, we'll simply repeat this next time, with the possibility of an even worse outcome.

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
Speaking as a retired ICU/ER Rn here. I know hindsight is just that, however....

IF we had locked down the country and shut the borders two months ago along with a six week stay at home order, we would be coming out of this now. Anyone that had the virus would have either survived or succumbed to the disease. Our existing contagious population would now be over it. No new cases would have come in. Our economy would have recovered very quickly. Sickness and death would have been minimized. Instead, we flopped about with our policy's and tried to piecemeal it and now we are going to suffer the consequences. A large population of our people are going to die and the economy will be in duress for probably several years. I blame this on our federal leadership. Regardless of their political leaning, Our federal government should have listened to the experts. Now we will pay the price for them hiding their heads in the sand. I feel for my ex-coworkers on the front lines. Every night when they go home exhausted they have to worry they are carrying the virus home to their families. All this from a lack of leadership.
I think if you are going to rely on great "foresight leadership" in Washington DC, your will be disappointed much more than you will be pleased. It is a fact of any behemoth and bureaucratic government, that it is not nimble. A government this size and with so many disparate viewpoints and opinions can never be quick to act.

There is also the fact that we, presumably, live in a free society and we aren't going to just close the borders and tell everyone they have to stay in their homes. Forgive my rudeness, but what country do you think you are living in? We aren't in a dictatorship that will take away your freedom on a whim. We won't quarantine New York, even if that may provide some benefit, because we live in a free society and we don't impose martial law except for the most desperate situations. While this is not a good situation, this does not qualify as a situation that requires millions to be forced to stay in your home. Prudent actions like social distancing, keeping yourself clean, don't touch your face, etc. That will be what gets us through this situation, not being forced by government to stay in our homes.

More and more information seems to be coming to light that this virus may not have a mortality rate much higher than the seasonal flue. It does seem to be spreading faster, but it seems to have much lower of a death rate than the current raw data suggests.

We need to come together as a nation. Unite in one goal to beat this virus and get this economy back moving. Arguing over what might have been and taking political shots is completely counterproductive and will do us no good getting through this obviously stressful time. They'll be plenty of time to "Monday morning quarterback" after the disease has passed and we (hopefully) can get this economy and our lives back to normal.

Time for a good night's rest. I wish you all a good night.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
The doubling rate is just that...a guess without facts supporting such.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Are we gaining ground on virus yet ? The News just stated that the USA is now
considering a nation wide "Lock Down" This is no help to the economy . What are your views on this Lock Down This is not needed everywhere is it ?
A patient has blood poisoning from cutting his foot. Let's amputate both legs just below the hips to save the life? I, too, believe that 2 to 3 months of a 25% to 50% drop in GDP could be worse than what people apparently fear from this super-cold virus. I am well over 60, have seen such a large drop in my retirement savings that I will now have to delay another 5 to 10 years. I have seen people in so much more fear that what happened during the Swine Flu epidemic 10 years ago. The politicians and the few leaders we have are also scared. This will change most lives one way or another depending on how they react to it. We have already seen how the media and governments react. Now I am seeing reports of people working hard to make things better rather than worse. I have also seen reports of people who filled their garages with sanitzer in order to jack up pricing 20x what they paid for it. Who will win in the end, The Greedy or the Good? What will drive us toward the future? And, to tie this in, what will we be driving? A Mach-E I hope, by Christmas or New Years!
Sponsored