Question for NJ owners....answers about policy buying a new mache before 36 months

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Hi all, I have a '21 Select RWD, SR....with Ford lowering prices, I was thinking about getting a '23.....unfortunately I cannot get another Select which I am VERY happy with, because there is no option for heated seats, a MUST for me in an EV.....so I can go to a Premium and be below the $55,000 limit for the ChargeUp NJ incentive of $2000....

Now the question, on the Charge Up website, somewhere, they say you must keep your car for 36 months, I will not meet that 36 months before getting a potential "new" Mach e......has anyone gotten a new Mach e before meeting this 36 month requirement??...did you get the second incentive? (point of sale incentive).....I do have an email into Charge Up, waiting for a response......

Opinions welcome of course, but I am really looking for someone who has gotten, or tried to get the incentive, before owning the Mach e for the 36 months.....thank you for your responses.....

ANSWERS.......if you are buying a new Mache before the 36 months of ownership has been satisfied for your original incentive is reached, your new car will get the current incentive it qualifies for......you will have to provide ChargeUp with documentation proving when you gave up ownership of "car 1".....then you will have to pay back a prorated amount based on the original incentive divided by 36 months times months short of 36......
Sponsored

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The program is pretty clear that you have to keep the car 36 months or pay back the chargupnj incentive. If you didn't get the incentive on the first car then it doesn't matter how long you kept it

OP
OP

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Well I got my answer back from ChargeUpNJ, and if I were to trade in, sell, etc my current '21 Select before reaching the 36 month requirement, I would be required to return to ChargeUp a prorated amount of the original incentive I received......

sooooo, I would have to return approximately $ 1600 in order to receive the $2000 current incentive I would get for a new purchase......

hope this info helps anyone else who might have been thinking of moving up to a new Mache

OP
OP

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The program is pretty clear that you have to keep the car 36 months or pay back the chargupnj incentive. If you didn't get the incentive on the first car then it doesn't matter how long you kept it
yes Tim you are correct, just what I thought too, just wanted to be sure....thanks for your reply

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
https://chargeup.njcleanenergy.com/eligibility-guidelines
  1. Retain ownership, or an active lease agreement, and registration of the vehicle with the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission for a minimum of 36 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date. Customers who lease their vehicle must ensure that their original lease agreement explicitly lists a term of 36 months or longer.
  2. Acknowledge that they may receive only up to three (3) electric vehicle incentives from the Program throughout the 10-year period that the Program is active. By signing the agreement below, the applicant certifies they are eligible for this incentive and have not previously received more than two (2) during the program period.

OP
OP

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
https://chargeup.njcleanenergy.com/eligibility-guidelines
  1. Retain ownership, or an active lease agreement, and registration of the vehicle with the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission for a minimum of 36 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date. Customers who lease their vehicle must ensure that their original lease agreement explicitly lists a term of 36 months or longer.
  2. Acknowledge that they may receive only up to three (3) electric vehicle incentives from the Program throughout the 10-year period that the Program is active. By signing the agreement below, the applicant certifies they are eligible for this incentive and have not previously received more than two (2) during the program period.
Thank you, I can also read, so my question was as much about the procedure others may have encountered if they were faced with this situation.......having dealt with ChargeUp NJ in the past, I assure you I read all that was on their website before asking my question......the info you posted does not explain about the prorated dollars and how that is collected or how it affects the incentive on the new purchase.....
Sponsored